Callum Paterson

57 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Paterson may be a better all round footballer but he wasn't a better option for us than Nuhiu this season. 

How many of those games did Nuhiu come on as a late sub. How many of those games did Nuhiu come on as a late sub just to waste time rather than when we were trying to get a goal?

The way we play a focal point striker was paramount. Nuhiu would occupy defenders and allow us to play further up field. His touch with ball at feet was better than many give him credit for, certainly better than Paterson's has been so far and he used his physique far better. 

It probably didn't have to be one or the other. Kachunga is probably getting a similar wage to what Nuhiu was getting and if it was a choice of two from those three I would have Paterson and Nuhiu but the fact we don't have a focal point up top has been one of our biggest problems on the pitch this season. 

Maddogbob said Nuhiu was a better player. He is quite clearly not and it’s not even arguable. 

You mention how may of those were sub appearances for Nuhiu, which is a fair point, but Paterson has scored more goals in a considerably worse team. He has never had the luxury of playing with Forestieri, Hooper, etc whilst being at Hillsborough. Swings and roundabouts.

I agree that we probably do need a focal point in attack like Nuhiu, but he’s gone. He is the past, and at 31 years old, and given the fact he hasn’t even scored yet in the Cypriot league, the club did the right thing letting him go. Most fans gave him pelters all the time when he was at the club, most wanted him out for ages, and now we want him back?

Paterson is one of my least concerns at the club at the moment. He is one of our better players, that’s a fact, and I’m absolutely sick of seeing him getting a lot of largely unwarranted stick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maddogbob said:

A converted chubby right back Vs a proper forward.

I'll take the proper forward everytime.

At the end of the day Callum is a bumbling mess of a player that dosn't fit in anywhere on the pitch, jack of all trades master of none.

You don't replace a proper forward, with Paterson.

Apart from the cross for the first goal, his play looks pretty poor in attack and defence yesterday in the highlights

5 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Maddogbob said Nuhiu was a better player. He is quite clearly not and it’s not even arguable. 

You mention how may of those were sub appearances for Nuhiu, which is a fair point, but Paterson has scored more goals in a considerably worse team. He has never had the luxury of playing with Forestieri, Hooper, etc whilst being at Hillsborough. Swings and roundabouts.

I agree that we probably do need a focal point in attack like Nuhiu, but he’s gone. He is the past, and at 31 years old, and given the fact he hasn’t even scored yet in the Cypriot league, the club did the right thing letting him go. Most fans gave him pelters all the time when he was at the club, most wanted him out for ages, and now we want him back?

Paterson is one of my least concerns at the club at the moment. He is one of our better players, that’s a fact, and I’m absolutely sick of seeing him getting a lot of largely unwarranted stick.

Nuhiu scored 3 goals in his last 6 appearances for Wednesday after lockdown and they weren't all starts. That was in a poor side under a poor manager. 

You pointed out Paterson being a Scotland international. I wouldn't rank being a sub for the current Scotland team as a great achievement and I wouldn't risk a lot of money on them beating Kosovo.

He has scored some important goals but I don't know whether you have been watching Hearts or us because if you had seen his overall performances regularly you'd notice how poor his all round game has been. At fault for the first goal yesterday, lost the ball cheaply allowing the counter attack for the second, poor challenge that led to the only goal against Stoke and has been caught out for poor marking from corners previously, yet you say he is a better defender.

Nuhiu did a better job defending corners and a better job occupying defeners, holding the ball up and allowing us to play up field. He might well have stayed if the manager we backed in the summer wanted him, he clearly didn't and contributed to the disjointed mess we have now. 

8 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Apart from the cross for the first goal, his play looks pretty poor in attack and defence yesterday in the highlights

Thankfully I've not watched the game or the "highlights" from yesterday.

I don't understand how he's even paid to play football?

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

No matter how this season ends up I’d like to give a big shout and a thumbs up to Callum Paterson who for me has been one of the positives of this season

I love him

I think he’s been a great addition and always gives his best 

I still think this 👆👆

Owlstalk Shop

17 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Would be one of the first players I’d sell in the summer to be honest. Don’t get me wrong I like his work rate and how he can wind opposition up, but what ever league we are in next season we need a few proper centre forwards. 

I also believe Nuhui is a better CF than him. 

Exactly he gives you effort which is severely lacking from most but quality He lacks in abundance. 

He’s not a cf, not a midfielder and can’t defend. 

23 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He's unorthodox, but he seems to give his all and has been directly involved in more goals than anyone else in our squad:

Paterson: 34% goal participation

Windass: 30%

Bannan: 26%

Reach: 21%

Harris: 13%

Rhodes: 13%

what about goals FOR haha

Paterson to me is my current Wednesday hero

I couldn't care less if anyone slates him

Ultimately nobody can disagree with me because it's a personal thing

Nobody can take my heroes away

For examples see the Paolo DiCanio threads where people try to kill my love for Paolo 
It didn't work and never will

Because someone's hero is their hero

People should never be swayed from having heroes and shouldn't listen to others if they try to take them away from you

Owlstalk Shop

Awful awful footballer. One of the reasons why we are so poor in that we have recruited players who put in lots of effort but lack quality. Given his attributes you would also think he would be good at defending set pieces but shown against Brentford and Luton he can't