Callum Paterson

9 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

and that is saying something isn't it? 0 goals in the Cypriot league last I checked and I'd still have him in the side lol 

I nearly said Fletcher, lol Fletcher, Nuhiu, Forestieri, Joao all gone and replaced by Paterson, Kachungu, Marriot and Windass. :duntmatter:

Though tbf Windass isn't that bad a player when fully fit, if we do go down which looks very likely he could be a big player for us next season.

6 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

Love him.

One of those unsung heroes that thick fans never get.

Paul Williams, Andy Booth, Mark Bright, Graham Hyde ...the list is endless.

Works his ballocks off and gives ashit everytime he plays.  

I wish the rest of them had his mentality.

He's crap and you know it. 

1 hour ago, Maddogbob said:

I'd agree with those stating that if it was a choice between Adhe and Callum.

I'd have kept Adhe all day long. Far far far, infact by miles a better player.

A 31 year old striker that has never played higher than the English Championship, who has scored ZERO goals in 14 appearances in a pub league, is a miles better player than our top scorer and a Scotland international who has scored goals in the Premier League? 

Aye ok then 🤦‍♂️

3 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

A 31 year old striker that has never played higher than the English Championship, who has scored ZERO goals in 14 appearances in a pub league, is a miles better player than our top scorer and a Scotland international who has scored goals in the Premier League? 

Aye ok then 🤦‍♂️

Both of them are poo . 

7 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Aye ok then 🤦‍♂️

A converted chubby right back Vs a proper forward.

I'll take the proper forward everytime.

At the end of the day Callum is a bumbling mess of a player that dosn't fit in anywhere on the pitch, jack of all trades master of none.

You don't replace a proper forward, with Paterson.

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

No matter how this season ends up I’d like to give a big shout and a thumbs up to Callum Paterson who for me has been one of the positives of this season

I love him

I think he’s been a great addition and always gives his best 

I can't deny he puts a shift in. But three things worry me about him.

1: his defending is woeful. He has cost us numerous goals with poor positioning or losing his man. If he was an out and out striker I'd give him some leeway, but he's a defender converted to striker. 

2: he tries to use his bulk to hold off players but in doing so never wins a single header because he can't get off the ground. That's fine if it's into feet, but with Westwood, wildsmith, lees throwing long balls in to him he rarely wins anything and it comes straight back.

3: when it is ok in to feet his first touch lets him down. He doesn't kill the ball with soft feet. It ricochets back off him more often than not back towards our own goal.

If he gets that lot sorted out he'll be a legend. I love his commitment, I love his effort and I love his shithousery.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I can't deny he puts a shift in. But three things worry me about him.

1: his defending is woeful. He has cost us numerous goals with poor positioning or losing his man. If he was an out and out striker I'd give him some leeway, but he's a defender converted to striker. 

2: he tries to use his bulk to hold off players but in doing so never wins a single header because he can't get off the ground. That's fine if it's into feet, but with Westwood, wildsmith, lees throwing long balls in to him he rarely wins anything and it comes straight back.

3: when it is ok in to feet his first touch lets him down. He doesn't kill the ball with soft feet. It ricochets back off him more often than not back towards our own goal.

If he gets that lot sorted out he'll be a legend. I love his commitment, I love his effort and I love his shithousery.

He won a good header to set up Fletcher for his goal the other week.

I still think he was brought in as a insurance policy across several positions - it's what we do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

A converted chubby right back Vs a proper forward.

I'll take the proper forward everytime.

At the end of the day Callum is a bumbling mess of a player that dosn't fit in anywhere on the pitch, jack of all trades master of none.

You don't replace a proper forward, with Paterson.

You said Nuhiu was a better player and I disagree in every single area. Yes Paterson is a utility player, and yes he has never really stuck anywhere position wise in his career, but given our squad depth and lack of funds we need players like that. We need players who can play in several areas.

For me, Paterson is a better defender than Nuhiu, Paterson is a better midfielder than Nuhiu, and Paterson is a better goal scorer than Nuhiu, and the stats back that up too. 

Nuhiu 1 goal every 5.11 games in his career.

Nuhiu 1 goal every 5.54 games for Wednesday.

Paterson 1 goal every 4.4 games in his career.

Paterson 1 goal every 4.4 games for Wednesday.

Paterson may not be a world beater, yes he has flaws in his game, but like it or not he is our biggest goal threat at present, and I’m sorry but he is infinitely better than Nuhiu ever was. 

14 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

You said Nuhiu was a better player and I disagree in every single area. Yes Paterson is a utility player, and yes he has never really stuck anywhere position wise in his career, but given our squad depth and lack of funds we need players like that. We need players who can play in several areas.

For me, Paterson is a better defender than Nuhiu, Paterson is a better midfielder than Nuhiu, and Paterson is a better goal scorer than Nuhiu, and the stats back that up too. 

Paterson may not be a world beater, yes he has flaws in his game, but like it or not he is our biggest goal threat at present, and I’m sorry but he is infinitely better than Nuhiu ever was. 

Stats eh, I've rather watch Adhe, than the bumbling Paterson everyday of the week. For me that defines him as a better player.

The difference is that the ball sticks if it goes to Adhe. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Paterson may be a better all round footballer but he wasn't a better option for us than Nuhiu this season. 

How many of those games did Nuhiu come on as a late sub. How many of those games did Nuhiu come on as a late sub just to waste time rather than when we were trying to get a goal?

The way we play a focal point striker was paramount. Nuhiu would occupy defenders and allow us to play further up field. His touch with ball at feet was better than many give him credit for, certainly better than Paterson's has been so far and he used his physique far better. 

It probably didn't have to be one or the other. Kachunga is probably getting a similar wage to what Nuhiu was getting and if it was a choice of two from those three I would have Paterson and Nuhiu but the fact we don't have a focal point up top has been one of our biggest problems on the pitch this season. 

47 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

For me, Paterson is a better defender than Nuhiu,

How many high balls did Nuhiu win in our box in the last ten minutes compared to Paterson? Answer... every match he played in especially when he was brought on to see the game out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rodger Wylde said:

At £17k for four hours work a week I think I think I'd find it in myself to give my best too.

Frontline NHS staff get per annum what he gets in 1.5 weeks..................shame on him and  all the other crock of shiiiiite drawing their undeserved pay packets

9 minutes ago, twolaptops said:

Frontline NHS staff get per annum what he gets in 1.5 weeks..................shame on him and  all the other crock of shiiiiite drawing their undeserved pay packets

You can't blame the player. It's the idiots that offer it that need to have a think.

I like him now. At first I couldn’t figure him out but I see what he brings. If he stays he’d be great in L1. But, because he is effective in his own unique way that’s why other might come and buy him. As for the daft Nuhiu v Paterson argument it isn’t one or the other! We should have kept Nuhiu and used him as he has been used before. Yesterday at 2-1 would have been a good time to bring Nuhiu on. Even start him along side Paterson on occasion! 

• Like 1