Nigel Pearson attacks club controlled journalism

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

It's a shame you've resorted to dismissing and mocking a club legend like that

Personally never really warmed to Pearson. Seen many interviews where he has come across arrogant and a bit unfair to reporters and journalists.

Might be a lovely bloke in person. But don’t think he’s come across that well in the media.

Before my time so don’t really have much of an affinity towards him to be honest. 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Personally never really warmed to Pearson. Seen many interviews where he has come across arrogant and a bit unfair to reporters and journalists.

Might be a lovely bloke in person. But don’t think he’s come across that well in the media.

Before my time so don’t really have much of an affinity towards him to be honest. 

He winds me up too to be fair

lol

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Tempting to bash DH for the advertorial he did on DC’s behalf but the point is already made.

Clubs like other big business want to control the narrative around the club, in good times and bad. Whilst it’s impossible to stop them doing that it makes it imperative that journos that follow clubs remain objective when reporting news. They must always speak truth to power.

As an aside, Its a really interesting time for sports journalism, we have easily the best coverage ever at a time when any numpty off the street can easily find an audience online.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Tempting to bash DH for the advertorial he did on DC’s behalf but the point is already made.

Clubs like other big business want to control the narrative around the club, in good times and bad. Whilst it’s impossible to stop them doing that it makes it imperative that journos that follow clubs remain objective when reporting news. They must always speak truth to power.

As an aside, Its a really interesting time for sports journalism, we have easily the best coverage ever at a time when any numpty off the street can easily find an audience online.

We definitely have the best coverage we've ever had

We just need most of them to be allowed access for a healthier debate

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

354C760B-D611-44CD-9E5E-9AAAB99EB5FB.jpeg

Nigel Pearson has backed “objective, honest” reporting and warned about the impact of journalism which comes solely from the perspective of football clubs.

Many clubs now employ in-house journalists to write ‘news’ about the club, while at the same time restricting access to independent media outlets.

Mr Pearson, pictured, who has managed various clubs including Leicester City, Hull City, Southampton, Watford and Derby County, made the comments in a question and answer session with journalism students at Leicester’s De Montfort University.

Discussing the importance of independent journalism, Mr Pearson told the students: “If all we get is journalism from the perspective of the football club, we’re moving towards a dictatorial state and that’s not what we are.

“If we don’t have [independent journalism] we may as well not bother, we may as well live in a Communist state where we’re taught not to think.”

the state of the world really but now with more egomaniac owners in the game he is spot on

@Toadie@YesWeCrann - are you ever dictated to by your editors on a day to day basis when doing your pieces and writing your articles?

I'm going to throw on some Kevlar and dip in and out of this thread pretty quickly, but in answer to your question.. no. Not in three years of news journalism elsewhere, not in three years of sport elsewhere and not in 18 months in this gig.

We work together on some stuff and you might occasionally get a suggestion on what might do well - "There's a lot of talk about Jordan Rhodes on Twitter, lads.." - but that's about it.

I think many people think these things are checked / interfered with on their way out, but such are the lack of resources in local journalism nowadays there is no sub-editing for online* and so and in theory I could nip into our CMS right now and publish whatever I wanted.. an article full of lies, libellous claims, swearwords.. sometimes our editor will find out I've written a terrible 500-worder on Adam Reach's crossing stats on Twitter at the same time as everybody else.

The idea that there is a mad Orwellian meeeeja agenda for or against anything obviously can exist, but it's not there at grassroots level. Not that I've seen, anyway. I might have missed a meeting in the back room.

*Yes I know you can tell etc etc 😜 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Toadie said:

I'm going to throw on some Kevlar and dip in and out of this thread pretty quickly, but in answer to your question.. no. Not in three years of news journalism elsewhere, not in three years of sport elsewhere and not in 18 months in this gig.

We work together on some stuff and you might occasionally get a suggestion on what might do well - "There's a lot of talk about Jordan Rhodes on Twitter, lads.." - but that's about it.

I think many people think these things are checked / interfered with on their way out, but such are the lack of resources in local journalism nowadays there is no sub-editing for online* and so and in theory I could nip into our CMS right now and publish whatever I wanted.. an article full of lies, libellous claims, swearwords.. sometimes our editor will find out I've written a terrible 500-worder on Adam Reach's crossing stats on Twitter at the same time as everybody else.

The idea that there is a mad Orwellian meeeeja agenda for or against anything obviously can exist, but it's not there at grassroots level. Not that I've seen, anyway. I might have missed a meeting in the back room.

*Yes I know you can tell etc etc 😜 

Thank you

I do wish people would understand the reality of what you're saying instead of the outdated cliche lies that they still believe

Owlstalk Shop

He winds me up too to be fair

lol

I might well be biased but I don't mind  Big Nige too much. There's a balance to strike between the bland cliche conveyor belt that most managers provide and the dismissive that Dave Jones used to show the press (although given his autobiography, I can see why!) - and Pearson generally hits the sweet spot between the two quite well for me.

Don't get me wrong, he's an eccentric and I don't think I'd want to live next door to him, but none of it strikes me as a pose.

Just now, Dooogs said:

I might well be biased but I don't mind  Big Nige too much. There's a balance to strike between the bland cliche conveyor belt that most managers provide and the dismissive that Dave Jones used to show the press (although given his autobiography, I can see why!) - and Pearson generally hits the sweet spot between the two quite well for me.

Don't get me wrong, he's an eccentric and I don't think I'd want to live next door to him, but none of it strikes me as a pose.

Im torn on that last line 

I don’t know him well enough to say either way though have only met him a few times so would be unfair 

But he deffo winds me up

Thats ok tho - like you say makes life interesting 🤣🤣

Owlstalk Shop

16 hours ago, Manwë said:

Well, the journalists could ask the tough questions or write the tough articles, and if the Club (any club) had a hissy, then that would look bad on the club, not the journalist or their organisation.

I'm astonished that more hasn't been written about Wednesday's demise in the past 3 years, from an analytical point of view.   I'm surprised the media haven't found out more about Alonso, Paxo and even Chansiri himself, who are these people?  Where do they get their wealth?  Who works for them?   

Where are the interviews with people within the club, unnamed of course, or people outside of the club for that matter.  I can't believe every player we've given away (not many, granted) have signed NDAs.  

If the Club banned the media from their grounds in response to real journalism, real accountability, then those clubs won't feature in the news, and their games won't be reported on.   Who loses at that point?

We've got media going to warzones, finding out stories from within Govts across the world that the public are not usually aware of, we've got journalists looking into prisoner camps in China or in Afghanistan, but the local paper doesn't want to say anything bad about the chairman incase they can't report on the midweek game against Tranmere away.

Local media, and sports media, are not journalists for the most part.  They are reporters and there's a massive difference.

Most of the media mainstream is controlled down in London, so I don't think they're too bothered about a championship club in Yorkshire apart from a little bit when we sack or hire a new manager..

As for the local ones calandar and look leeds very rarely even give us more than a token mention as theyve always focused more on leeds and local journalists and independent may lack the resources or contacts to dig too deep. Just my thoughts of course especially as Dc is so good at keeping his cards close to his chest and checking the financial side isn't going to be easy as arnt we 2 years behind on the accounts. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He is a good bloke to be honest IMO. Suppose you need a different attitude inside the world of football like i suppose others do in a work environment. Granted some media stuff hasn't reflected well on him, but definitely doesn't reflect behind the scenes. 

There's some who come across nice in the media but are absolutely the opposite as a person, but we just don't see it as its private. 

On 11/02/2021 at 17:59, @owlstalk said:

@Toadie@YesWeCrann - are you ever dictated to by your editors on a day to day basis when doing your pieces and writing your articles?

Not really, no. We discuss things that might/might not work in terms of numbers, but we've never been told not to do a story. We have loads of freedom in that sense.

• Love 1

Just now, YesWeCrann said:

Not really, no. We discuss things that might/might not work in terms of numbers, but we've never been told not to do a story. We have loads of freedom in that sense.

Thanks mate 👍

Now can you go and fend off all those fans who are windmilling to death any fans asking if the club's boiler is bust?

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Thanks mate 👍

Now can you go and fend off all those fans who are windmilling to death any fans asking if the club's boiler is bust?

lol

😂 I'm actually just enjoying the fact that I've managed to fill up the Wednesday section of the paper without a game on!

• Haha 1

Just now, YesWeCrann said:

😂 I'm actually just enjoying the fact that I've managed to fill up the Wednesday section of the paper without a game on!

To be fair you did a good job with the boiler facts

If the club carry on their PR strategy you could make a career just out of clarifying stuff for fans that they could and should have said in the first place

lol

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

On 11/02/2021 at 16:21, @owlstalk said:

354C760B-D611-44CD-9E5E-9AAAB99EB5FB.jpeg

Nigel Pearson has backed “objective, honest” reporting and warned about the impact of journalism which comes solely from the perspective of football clubs.

Many clubs now employ in-house journalists to write ‘news’ about the club, while at the same time restricting access to independent media outlets.

Mr Pearson, pictured, who has managed various clubs including Leicester City, Hull City, Southampton, Watford and Derby County, made the comments in a question and answer session with journalism students at Leicester’s De Montfort University.

Discussing the importance of independent journalism, Mr Pearson told the students: “If all we get is journalism from the perspective of the football club, we’re moving towards a dictatorial state and that’s not what we are.

“If we don’t have [independent journalism] we may as well not bother, we may as well live in a Communist state where we’re taught not to think.”

So I wonder if big Nige has given any gigantic scoops to journalists ?  He was particularly complicit in secrecy regarding the spiriting away of George Hirst lol