Nigel Pearson attacks club controlled journalism

11 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I doesn't surprise me that our owner has a grip on outgoing media. Where have we seen examples of that from regimes throughout history. 

Isn’t this how every club operates though?

I think we lack transparency in certain areas but DC has held three media briefings in the last three months where all media were allowed to attend. 

People write all sorts about him and the way he runs things online. Not like he’s controlling the media side of things to soften criticism. 

It’s also not unusual for organisations and companies to turn down interviews or only do interviews for certain outlets. That’s not exclusive to Wednesday.

I don’t really understand what Nigel is getting at here to be honest. 

News coming out of the club from the club is always going to be from the clubs perspective and will be done in a way to limit reputational damage. That’s the same for any organisation and big company no? 

Other media outlets are completely free to criticise or discuss what is happening at any football club as they wish. In terms of restricting access, well the club is 100% Chansiri’s. I mean I could write to Coca Cola and tell them the Cherry Flavoured version of the product I had was rubbish and I demand an interview with the CEO to discuss this. Won’t get a reply.

So yeah not too sure what tree Pearson’s barking up here.

• Like 1

Guest hirstysfags

I tend to treats Dom's output the same as I do matchday magazines. Not worth bothering with. Both club sanctioned content.

Fanzines and other journalists yes please.

(this isn't a dig at Dom, just the way things are).

3 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

I don't get it.... Why should a private corporation be forced to talk to journalists?

Exactly. The more I read what he’s saying the more I think it’s a load of absolute nonsense. He say this: 

“If all we get is journalism from the perspective of the football club, we’re moving towards a dictatorial state and that’s not what we are“

A load of waffle. Football clubs have all sorts written about them from what’s happening on the pitch to what is happening at boardroom level. I can’t think of any other private company that is open to scrutiny on the level that football clubs are. 

Bonkers stuff from Nige.

6 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

It’s a funny old balancing act. 

I feel like it’s often ‘sit down shut up pay your money’ ... while we don’t know at times if we’re in a transfer embargo etc... then stick WAWAW on the shirts. 

Problem is fans don’t like to hear it but football clubs no longer belong to them. They’re privately run companies and the owners can do as they please. They’re under no obligation to do interviews with whoever requests one, speak in detail about finances etc. Fans no longer have shares and have very little say. And to be honest, they don’t really have the right to have a say. 

We are customers now. That’s the way football has gone. Unfortunately.

Thats not a dictatorship Nigel, that’s capitalism.

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Problem is fans don’t like to hear it but football clubs no longer belong to them. They’re privately run companies and the owners can do as they please. They’re under no obligation to do interviews with whoever requests one, speak in detail about finances etc. Fans no longer have shares and have very little say. And to be honest, they don’t really have the right to have a say.  

They had their say when the sales figures for Club1867 dropped in

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We are customers now. That’s the way football has gone. Unfortunately.

Thats not a dictatorship Nigel, that’s capitalism.

I agree - but clubs like to play both sides - using the emotions of the fans - pretending to care about the community... and that’s ok with me, but I want honesty in return... the clubs could even volunteer information instead of being asked to... to give it that ‘honest’ feel. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kopparberg said:

I agree - but clubs like to play both sides - using the emotions of the fans - pretending to care about the community... and that’s ok with me, but I want honesty in return... the clubs could even volunteer information instead of being asked to... to give it that ‘honest’ feel. 

Yep absolutely. That’s all about good PR which in turn is good for business. 

I think in certain aspects we’re very good at that though? The Time To Talk thing we did last week and the Christmas present thing we do every year for hospitals. 

Fans tend to want answers when things aren’t going well. If we’re smashing the league then very rarely people will knock on the chairman’s door demanding what’s going on and what they’re gonna do about it. When we struggle though fans will want to know what’s going on and scrutinise every aspect of the club.

The constant remains that the club is under no obligation to be transparent about every aspect of the business model and how they operate.

I think the club could do so much more to and mend the current fragile relationship between owner and fans. But at the end of the day Chansiri doesn’t have too.