Nigel Pearson attacks club controlled journalism

Does make you think, would some clubs prefer to their fan base and everyone around them to just shut up and never ask them for any pressing questions ? 

Clubs could then act glamorous etc when they aren’t. 

On a (possibly) separate note, I heard a local reporter asking Steve Bruce the most ‘softball’ questions about how his Newcastle team were playing - basically setting Bruce up to get himself off the hook - the fans were fuming and it did no one any good... as the fans saw through it anyway 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Does make you think, would some clubs prefer to their fan base and everyone around them to just shut up and never ask them for any pressing questions ? 

Clubs could then act glamorous etc when they aren’t. 

On a (possibly) separate note, I heard a local reporter asking Steve Bruce the most ‘softball’ questions about how his Newcastle team were playing - basically setting Bruce up to get himself off the hook - the fans were fuming and it did no one any good... as the fans saw through it anyway 

The smart fans always do

The fans that just believe anything that comes out of the club  as gospel don't

That's always the case

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

I noticed that pre Wycombe the SWFC Twitter called it a ‘huge game’... I’m glad they can grasp reality at least. 

I like to see ‘real’ posts from them about players and the community etc. Hope it stays that way. 

It must be worse for ‘propaganda’ etc in the Prem - as it’s all about making clubs look like a shiny gift wrapped Christmas present. 

... I think that if a club is struggling though, no matter how polished something is made to look, people are going to get restless and kick off... so better to come out with some honesty. 

2 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

It must be worse for ‘propaganda’ etc in the Prem - as it’s all about making clubs look like a shiny gift wrapped Christmas present.  

There's always stuff like this though

By the fans - FOR the fans

And they always get way way way way more interest than anything official - because it's by the fans

This video has had nearly four MILLION views

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Well, the journalists could ask the tough questions or write the tough articles, and if the Club (any club) had a hissy, then that would look bad on the club, not the journalist or their organisation.

I'm astonished that more hasn't been written about Wednesday's demise in the past 3 years, from an analytical point of view.   I'm surprised the media haven't found out more about Alonso, Paxo and even Chansiri himself, who are these people?  Where do they get their wealth?  Who works for them?   

Where are the interviews with people within the club, unnamed of course, or people outside of the club for that matter.  I can't believe every player we've given away (not many, granted) have signed NDAs.  

If the Club banned the media from their grounds in response to real journalism, real accountability, then those clubs won't feature in the news, and their games won't be reported on.   Who loses at that point?

We've got media going to warzones, finding out stories from within Govts across the world that the public are not usually aware of, we've got journalists looking into prisoner camps in China or in Afghanistan, but the local paper doesn't want to say anything bad about the chairman incase they can't report on the midweek game against Tranmere away.

Local media, and sports media, are not journalists for the most part.  They are reporters and there's a massive difference.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Totally separate thing 

No it's not, freedom of speech is a must, if you agree or disagree makes for discussion,  not one way traffic.

We sometimes get dictated to on here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daleblue said:

No it's not, freedom of speech is a must, if you agree or disagree makes for discussion,  not one way traffic.

We sometimes get dictated to on here.

You're wrong

Think about what you're saying

Nigel Pearson is saying the club should not dictate who is and isn't allowed access and shouldn't dictate what is and isn't reported

Him having a hissy fit with journalists IS a totally different thing

He might be having a hissy fit but the same journalists will have been allowed back in next week to ask their questions

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

On the flip side, if there are questionable things at a premier league club there’s more chance of a National journalist, not beholden to the club, taking an internet and investigating. We are currently not important enough for anyone national to take an interest.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

You're wrong

Think about what you're saying

Nigel Pearson is saying the club should not dictate who is and isn't allowed access and shouldn't dictate what is and isn't reported

Him having a hissy fit with journalists IS a totally different thing

He might be having a hissy fit but the same journalists will have been allowed back in next week to ask their questions

I think we may be at x purposes,  so I may in fact be making the point that free journalism is good, is that what you're saying?