Well done JR

12 hours ago, daleblue said:

Past caring,  cant wait to get off the wage bill.

Been a costly mistake. 

27 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

You’ve moved the goalposts. It’s price-tag now.

What does that matter at 3pm next Saturday?

And not ducking your question, yes definitely, in the 17/18 season under Jos, Nuhiu and Joao were much better than Rhodes.

Above was my initial response, goalposts moving?

The only time goalposts have moved is when Rhodes is on the pitch.

• Haha 1

Not a fan of his,but he has stepped up to the mark,and done the business...Respect & thanks for that....I dont want him to be offered further re contracting...

Nothing personal,just one of a number of players(reach included) who i have had enough of......

We've seen false hopes before, can't forget that awesome hattrick at Forest then he goes missing again.

Not all his fault though as he hasn't had a long run in the team. It does seem strange if we have finally realised how to play to his strengths under Tommo, but let's hope that is the case. If his goals can keep us up then at least he won't be seen as a huge transfer failure in the future- lets hope he keeps it going.

He does look fitter and a bit sharper now for whatever reason so some good signs.

6 hours ago, daleblue said:

Joao, Nuhiu, squeezed him out, and how much did we pay for them, and how much were their wages?

Value for money?

Was it a tenth of what we paid for Rhodes?

What you are saying that those 2 were better than a bloke who cost us in the region of 10 million and on top this his wages and a long contract.

Now tell me again I got this wrong, when your own evidence proves me right.

The bloke has been a failure in terms of money we spent.

There's no doubt that over the 4 years since we've had him he's financially been a disaster of a signing with his transfer fee and wages. That doesn't matter right now though - he's under contract until the end of the season and is currently playing the best football he has in years and has topped that off with 2 goals in his last 3 games. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, daleblue said:

Above was my initial response, goalposts moving?

The only time goalposts have moved is when Rhodes is on the pitch.

I’m guessing your not a fan of Rhodes then?

Fair enough. He has been a disappointment but I’d like to think even the most ardent critic of Rhodes would at least agree it’s good that in his last three games he’s scored two goals? And that it would be better that in his remaining time if he is to be played it would be better that he scores some more? 

15 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I’m guessing your not a fan of Rhodes then?

Fair enough. He has been a disappointment but I’d like to think even the most ardent critic of Rhodes would at least agree it’s good that in his last three games he’s scored two goals? And that it would be better that in his remaining time if he is to be played it would be better that he scores some more? 

Of course without doubt, but I was replying to his time here which I found was costly. 

Rhodes really hasn’t been given a run of more than 10 games ? The reason is he didn’t deliver in the way he was expected to ie goals to games? Most of the managers here played a different type of football to wot we played last night? Think Rhodes is definitely a confidence player and at times looked lost! It might be that because this season we haven’t really had a style of play Thompson has come up with a style that suits us and Rhodes? Have you seen us put that many crosses into the op half early as we did 1st half last night? He scored from early balls in and that his trademark always has been? We played nice little passing moves round the box under Cc and he never looked like scoring! Now it’s only 2 goals and having watched him for us I’m not convinced he’ll carry in ....but he the only striker in our books who has the goal history to keep us up and hope to god he does 

18 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

Has the mistake been the player, or how he has been played or managed?

I humbly suggest the latter.

I full expect pelters, but I still believe what I say to be true.

Come off it FFS,not that old chestnut...

18 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Rhodes - goal every 169

Paterson - goal every 299

Windass - goal every 516

Kachinga - none in 763

Marriott - none in 330

Explain his absence? Shocking.

Which of the comparable players are strikers? (not make shift strikers) & Marriot of course injured....& over what period are you comparing? given Rhodes has been here what 90% longer than the others?

17 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

As others have said, he was the wrong signing for us at the time. When Carlos was here we played a certain way with Hooper as the link man.. if we needed another striker we needed a replacement/competition for Hooper given he was injury prone. Rhodes is ok at linking play but he doesn’t drop deep in the same way that Hooper did. He’s also not amazing as a target man although he’s not terrible in the air.. so was never going to take Fletcher’s role.

Its scandalous we committed to spending about £20m on him all in when we didn’t even play a style that suited him at the time and the team were doing fine so we weren’t going to change tack either. Not surprised he couldn’t get himself going under Carlos as he had too much competition for a place with Fletcher, Hooper, Joao, Nuhui and Forestieri already here.

But we’ve used him shockingly. You say you trust the judgement of the managers who excluded him but I can’t understand why. Two of them are Jos and Monk, and it’s proven that they excluded key players for no good reason then made backhanded comments about them to try and get fans onside with their opinion.. Rhodes didn’t get much of a look in under Jos for the first 6 months then was loaned out. Did fine at Norwich but was second fiddle to Pukki.

Bruce never got to work with him. Monk misused him because he was capable of striking up a good partnership with Fletcher and barely got a chance. Then this season Pulis didn’t even give him a chance despite him literally being the only number 9 at the club and us barely scoring any goals.

Everyone got it wrong,or were doing things for personal reason.'s Carlos,Bullen,Jos,Bullen again,Bruce,Monk,TP........none gave him a starting shirt.....(regularly) or looked to utilise him.....

Again,re looking at your post....Does that sound credible???.....what you put?

16 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It’s not 5 managers anyway it’s 4.. Carlos had a dearth of talent available and we had too many other good players to play a different style just to suit Rhodes, which is why he should never have been signed in the first place.

The other 3 are Jos, Monk and Pulis. The first two of those are garbage and have never achieved anything.. and they demonstrated that they exclude good players with no valid reason given the treatment of Westwood and Hutchinson. Pulis plays 4-5-1 every game with 10 men behind the ball.. Rhodes predictably did nothing with the side set up like that as he was too isolated. Same goes for our other forwards too, except Windass has more pace and Paterson more physicality so they were preferred if you’re playing one up with them being 40 yards away from their nearest team mate. 

Thompson is playing a more attacking style where we actually attack and cross the ball and the midfielders support the strikers. Rhodes is bound to perform better in that set up 

Jos & Monk had plenty of success in their career,but if you say something enough times......and before you post a simple net search will give you the correct answer....

16 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

Agree with what you’ve said there other than the bit about Bruce. Rhodes was on loan at Norwich when Bruce was here so they never worked together 

Could have been re called if he had  been wanted by Bruce,didn't happen though did it? didn't SB come in on the mantra of everyone having a clean slate?

7 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

Dutch and Minesapint pretty much sum up the situation for me.  It’s not the solution I was expecting, but it’s pretty much all we’ve got, so Rhodes and Paterson to start most games until the end of the season for me.

Agree,we must play 2 up front,and JR is deserving of his place,until he isnt

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, parajack said:

Which of the comparable players are strikers? (not make shift strikers) & Marriot of course injured....& over what period are you comparing? given Rhodes has been here what 90% longer than the others?

Just this season. 

The other players are our other options at striker, as that’s where they play for us.