Well done JR

There’s no getting away from the fact JR has struggled last few years, none at all 

But he’s the best we’ve got, and if it means changing our style to best utilise him that’s what you do, thankfully NT seems to doing that at the minute and Rhodes is doing better than anyone else in the squad would be ,  Monk never had any interest in him he scored a hat trick against Forest and Monk couldn’t wait to drop him again 

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, T Hardy said:

Please don’t pretend it’s been a scandal all along that Rhodes has never been allowed to show us this. I trust the judgment of a number of managers who didn’t trust him. You look a bit silly if you think 2 goals means all those managers were wrong. 

I don’t wish to say anything further about Rhodes that could be deemed negative, I’m very happy for him tonight and I hope he continues scoring. 

As others have said, he was the wrong signing for us at the time. When Carlos was here we played a certain way with Hooper as the link man.. if we needed another striker we needed a replacement/competition for Hooper given he was injury prone. Rhodes is ok at linking play but he doesn’t drop deep in the same way that Hooper did. He’s also not amazing as a target man although he’s not terrible in the air.. so was never going to take Fletcher’s role.

Its scandalous we committed to spending about £20m on him all in when we didn’t even play a style that suited him at the time and the team were doing fine so we weren’t going to change tack either. Not surprised he couldn’t get himself going under Carlos as he had too much competition for a place with Fletcher, Hooper, Joao, Nuhui and Forestieri already here.

But we’ve used him shockingly. You say you trust the judgement of the managers who excluded him but I can’t understand why. Two of them are Jos and Monk, and it’s proven that they excluded key players for no good reason then made backhanded comments about them to try and get fans onside with their opinion.. Rhodes didn’t get much of a look in under Jos for the first 6 months then was loaned out. Did fine at Norwich but was second fiddle to Pukki.

Bruce never got to work with him. Monk misused him because he was capable of striking up a good partnership with Fletcher and barely got a chance. Then this season Pulis didn’t even give him a chance despite him literally being the only number 9 at the club and us barely scoring any goals.

He can feel hard done to that he’s not played more this season and last season as well.. a different situation to when he came here and couldn’t get in ahead of other quality players. He’ll end up leaving for free, go somewhere else in this league and have a good season next year nailed on.

That goal is just about as typical Jordan Rhodes as they come,   At Bournemouth it was a fantastic finish but that one tonight is literally exactly what he’s always been known for 

1 hour ago, T Hardy said:

Oh yeah I forgot about all the goals and success he’s achieved for us since 2018.

It’s almost funny what happens to some of our fans after Rhodes scores a goal. I find out that we’ve had this hidden weapon for years that we haven’t used properly and can never work out why you’re right and all our managers were wrong.

Just a thought, have you wondered why all those managers were sacked and whether you or anyone else likes it, JR has never been given a proper run in the team. He’s never going to be a rampaging No 9 like most coaches want,  but the truth is he has always scored goals and we just don’t play him and I don’t mean for one or two games I mean consistently ( clear stupidity)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

As others have said, he was the wrong signing for us at the time. When Carlos was here we played a certain way with Hooper as the link man.. if we needed another striker we needed a replacement/competition for Hooper given he was injury prone. Rhodes is ok at linking play but he doesn’t drop deep in the same way that Hooper did. He’s also not amazing as a target man although he’s not terrible in the air.. so was never going to take Fletcher’s role.

Its scandalous we committed to spending about £20m on him all in when we didn’t even play a style that suited him at the time and the team were doing fine so we weren’t going to change tack either. Not surprised he couldn’t get himself going under Carlos as he had too much competition for a place with Fletcher, Hooper, Joao, Nuhui and Forestieri already here.

But we’ve used him shockingly. You say you trust the judgement of the managers who excluded him but I can’t understand why. Two of them are Jos and Monk, and it’s proven that they excluded key players for no good reason then made backhanded comments about them to try and get fans onside with their opinion.. Rhodes didn’t get much of a look in under Jos for the first 6 months then was loaned out. Did fine at Norwich but was second fiddle to Pukki.

Bruce never got to work with him. Monk misused him because he was capable of striking up a good partnership with Fletcher and barely got a chance. Then this season Pulis didn’t even give him a chance despite him literally being the only number 9 at the club and us barely scoring any goals.

He can feel hard done to that he’s not played more this season and last season as well.. a different situation to when he came here and couldn’t get in ahead of other quality players. He’ll end up leaving for free, go somewhere else in this league and have a good season next year nailed on.

You’ve summed it up well there. Just the wrong signing at the wrong time. A lot of the reason he’s failed here until now isn’t his fault. Neither is the price tag that DC gambled with and that we’ve had a succession of managers that played negative tactics.

At the time he signed we already had too many strikers at the club and weren’t playing a style of football with wingers to suit Rhodes.

But with the lack of striking options we have this season he should have been starting every week. Monk’s treatment of Rhodes was bad and Pulis handled him appallingly.

He hasn’t started 5 consecutive games for Wednesday since the 2016/17 season. Given he’s our record signing and has barely been injured in that time that’s a ridiculous stat.

Give him a run of games, play two up front, get balls in the box and he’ll still score goals

• Like 1

Guest T Hardy
5 minutes ago, owlsruleok said:

Just a thought, have you wondered why all those managers were sacked and whether you or anyone else likes it, JR has never been given a proper run in the team. He’s never going to be a rampaging No 9 like most coaches want,  but the truth is he has always scored goals and we just don’t play him and I don’t mean for one or two games I mean consistently ( clear stupidity)

What’s by far the number one reason a manager leaves a club? If you’re demeaning opinions of managers who have been sacked, you’ll value about 5 managers in Europe.  

He’s had years to prove himself every day in training and has never nailed down a regular spot. I trust the judgment of a handful of managers who all obviously have the same opinion. As mentioned, if it was one or two, fine, you could say he’s maybe been unlucky, but you’re talking about 5 who didn’t think he was worthy of a regular spot. That’s not a coincidence or unlucky. Nuhiu regularly picked ahead of him to come off the bench. 

There’s a reason why we’re sat here talking about it on Owlstalk and those guys get jobs to work with professional footballers. If 5 managers at one club write a player off, there’s going to be very good reasons for it, and I’m sorry it’s not as simple as him not getting the service and not been played right. I think just one of those managers would have figured it out if it was that simple?

4 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

What’s by far the number one reason a manager leaves a club? If you’re demeaning opinions of managers who have been sacked, you’ll value about 5 managers in Europe.  

He’s had years to prove himself every day in training and has never nailed down a regular spot. I trust the judgment of a handful of managers who all obviously have the same opinion. As mentioned, if it was one or two, fine, you could say he’s maybe been unlucky, but you’re talking about 5 who didn’t think he was worthy of a regular spot. That’s not a coincidence or unlucky. Nuhiu regularly picked ahead of him to come off the bench. 

There’s a reason why we’re sat here talking about it on Owlstalk and those guys get jobs to work with professional footballers. If 5 managers at one club write a player off, there’s going to be very good reasons for it, and I’m sorry it’s not as simple as him not getting the service and not been played right. I think just one of those managers would have figured it out if it was that simple?

You trust the judgement of Jos, Monk and Pulis?

Jos and Monk froze Westwood and Hutch out. Pulis was picking Joost at left back.

A lot of the success Thompson is having is that he’s picking the best available players.

When most of us saw the team tonight it looked close to the best team we have available now. Some of the teams selected under Jos, Monk and Pulis looked like the names had been drawn out of a hat

• Like 6

If we didn't think we knew more than the manager's, players and each other there wouldn't be much point to having a football forum.

FWIW I think JR has not been used properly and has been mismanaged because Carlos didn't need him, Jos didn't understand him, Bruce didn't stay long enough, he didn't suit Monk's style (whatever that was) and he didn't suit Pulis's style either.

Now he's come good and I want to see him score dozens of goals in a Wednesday shirt because we need goals and it's nice to have a hero.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

If we didn't think we knew more than the manager's, players and each other there wouldn't be much point to having a football forum.

FWIW I think JR has not been used properly and has been mismanaged because Carlos didn't need him, Jos didn't understand him, Bruce didn't stay long enough, he didn't suit Monk's style (whatever that was) and he didn't suit Pulis's style either.

Now he's come good and I want to see him score dozens of goals in a Wednesday shirt because we need goals and it's nice to have a hero.

Agree with what you’ve said there other than the bit about Bruce. Rhodes was on loan at Norwich when Bruce was here so they never worked together 

8 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Ok, I'm also not convinced yet, that he his going to continue scoring at a reasonable enough rate to keep us up, but out of all the strikers at our disposal he's certainly the most likely to do so and is surely worth giving a sustained run in the team. 

If he's playing there's a chance he'll score, if he isn't there's none and if he's brought on for a cameo 10 minutes then there's little chance he'll score.

What gets me more is your continued argument that the managers who've seen him and not given him a chance are all correct in their observations, so basically you think all these managers (who were mostly very poor managers) know exactly what they're doing, but choose to ignore all the Previous Managers he had at other clubs, who saw something they liked and gave him regular 1st team appearances and we're rewarded with a goals return of around 1 in every 2 matches?

I'm not saying he's the same player he was then, but why think the last 5 (failed) managers know more than the previous ones who believed in him?

Seems abit like selective beliefs to me.

You keep stating you hope he proves you wrong, but your posts don't seem to back that up.

Anyhow I certainly hope he can continue to produce the goods and his goals keeps us up.

(And proves me wrong too as I've doubted him many times) 

We'll never know if he's continually dropped after every week or 3 games without scoring. UTO!

• Like 4

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Ok, I'm also not convinced yet, that he his going to continue scoring at a reasonable enough rate to keep us up, but out of all the strikers at our disposal he's certainly the most likely to do so and is surely worth giving a sustained run in the team. 

If he's playing there's a chance he'll score, if he isn't there's none and if he's brought on for a cameo 10 minutes then there's little chance he'll score.

What gets me more is your continued argument that the managers who've seen him and not given him a chance are all correct in their observations, so basically you think all these managers (who were mostly very poor managers) know exactly what they're doing, but choose to ignore all the Previous Managers he had at other clubs, who saw something they liked and gave him regular 1st team appearances and we're rewarded with a goals return of around 1 in every 2 matches?

I'm not saying he's the same player he was then, but why think the last 5 (failed) managers know more than the previous ones who believed in him?

Seems abit like selective beliefs to me.

You keep stating you hope he proves you wrong, but your posts don't seem to back that up.

Anyhow I certainly hope he can continue to produce the goods and his goals keeps us up.

(And proves me wrong too as I've doubted him many times) 

We'll never know if he's continually dropped after every week or 3 games without scoring. UTO!

It’s not 5 managers anyway it’s 4.. Carlos had a dearth of talent available and we had too many other good players to play a different style just to suit Rhodes, which is why he should never have been signed in the first place.

The other 3 are Jos, Monk and Pulis. The first two of those are garbage and have never achieved anything.. and they demonstrated that they exclude good players with no valid reason given the treatment of Westwood and Hutchinson. Pulis plays 4-5-1 every game with 10 men behind the ball.. Rhodes predictably did nothing with the side set up like that as he was too isolated. Same goes for our other forwards too, except Windass has more pace and Paterson more physicality so they were preferred if you’re playing one up with them being 40 yards away from their nearest team mate. 

Thompson is playing a more attacking style where we actually attack and cross the ball and the midfielders support the strikers. Rhodes is bound to perform better in that set up 

Paterson and Rhodes potentially have the makings of a decent partnership. Who'd have thought they'd be our most likely source of goals and our best hope of scoring the goals to keep us up? I actually thought Paterson was a decent signing but more suited to playing in midfield. However, he looks a threat up top and causes problems for the opposition and he has a knack of scoring scruffy goals. I expected more of Windass but still think he'll be useful and didn't think Rhodes would ever come good in a Wednesday shirt. The form of Paterson and the pace of Harris, among other things, looking more balanced and attacking as a team with Thompson in charge, could be the key that's finally unlocked Rhodes game?

Whatever has clicked, long may it continue, Rhodes has still got a long way to go to prove some of us wrong and to make up for his price tag and wasted years but hopefully the likes of Paterson and Rhodes keep it up. If they do, we'll have a better chance of staying up, despite all the issues, points deduction and off the field problems, etc we've somehow given ourselves a chance of staying up and Thompson deserves huge credit and the job for the turnaround in results, performances and fight shown since he's been in caretaker charge. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 0114 said:

That’s what JR has done his entire career. He’s never been quick, never been mobile, never been strong and never been the most technical player. But if you put the ball in dangerous areas he will score goals.

Crazy we bought the Championship’s greatest ever bog liner and never let him bog line! 2 massive goals in a week.

Carlos knew best allegedly.