Well done JR

Carlos used Rhodes a lot more than several posters seem to recall. Pretty much shared equal time with Hooper and Fletcher.

Want an interesting fact?

In that run that saw us win six in six to overtake Leeds to rescue our fading season and make it into the play-offs, Carlos used Rhodes in all six games.

Rotherham 2-0 

Newcastle 2-1

QPR 2-1

Cardiff 1-0

Derby 2-1

Ipswich 1-0

Rhodes played in every game.

Played roughly 2/3 of the minutes.

While he was on the pitch we scored 10.

Without him on the pitch we scored none.

Which is really odd because, as we are so often told, it’s like playing with ten men when he plays.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

Has the mistake been the player, or how he has been played or managed?

I humbly suggest the latter.

I full expect pelters, but I still believe what I say to be true.

Does it really matter?

At the end of the day he has cost us, not only in poor performance but the ability to bring in at least 2 other players who (if we got right), could have been better for us position wise and financially less of a burden, because burden he has certainly become,  we can't even get him out on loan as nobody wants to pay his wages.

As for who is to blame I'm past caring, him for poor performances and us for not playing to his attributes makes no difference. 

He has been a poor player and a financial burden that is still with us today.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, daleblue said:

Does it really matter?

At the end of the day he has cost us, not only in poor performance but the ability to bring in at least 2 other players who (if we got right), could have been better for us position wise and financially less of a burden, because burden he has certainly become,  we can't even get him out on loan as nobody wants to pay his wages.

As for who is to blame I'm past caring, him for poor performances and us for not playing to his attributes makes no difference. 

He has been a poor player and a financial burden that is still with us today.

Over the past 2 seasons we’ve scored more goals and won more points when Rhodes has been on the pitch. Significantly so.

But, Monk and Pulis sat him on the bench.

Yet, you say he has cost us “in poor performance”.

What cost us was a player that improves the side sitting on the bench, watching us incapable of scoring with Da Cruz, Kachunga, Marriott, Wickham and Windass on the pitch.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Over the past 2 seasons we’ve scored more goals and won more points when Rhodes has been on the pitch. Significantly so.

But, Monk and Pulis sat him on the bench.

Yet, you say he has cost us “in poor performance”.

What cost us was a player that improves the side sitting on the bench, watching us incapable of scoring with Da Cruz, Kachunga, Marriott, Wickham and Windass on the pitch.

Wasn't just Monk and Pulis that sat him on the bench though was it?

Sometimes didn't even make the bench, who was in charge when he was loaned to Norwich?

Surplus to requirements?

He has been a disaster, and we are still paying for it, in more ways than one.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, daleblue said:

Wasn't just Monk and Pulis that sat him on the bench though was it?

Sometimes didn't even make the bench, who was in charge when he was loaned to Norwich?

Surplus to requirements?

He has been a disaster, and we are still paying for it, in more ways than one.

Jos.

Guest wilyfox

He’s actually followed up one goal with another this time which is encouraging. We need scorers, so if Rhodes and Paterson can lead the way that’s great. Keep it up Jordan. 

10 hours ago, T Hardy said:

Please don’t pretend it’s been a scandal all along that Rhodes has never been allowed to show us this. I trust the judgment of a number of managers who didn’t trust him. You look a bit silly if you think 2 goals means all those managers were wrong. 

I don’t wish to say anything further about Rhodes that could be deemed negative, I’m very happy for him tonight and I hope he continues scoring. 

Tbh, I think you're silly for trusting the judgement of Jos and Monk - the worst managers in our history

• Like 1

He's got the shirt, he appears to be in form and appears to have the support from his Coach and team mates.

It's his to keep and we really need him to do it.

What's gone on in the past is a mystery and we can all argue we've not had value for money for whatever reason, so understandable fans are frustrated and divided in opinion..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Jos.

So is it the Managers fault every time,  Monk had woods at Leeds who in his last year made such an impression he was sold to a Premiership side, so is it the players or the Managers fault?

Carlos?

We can blame all the Managers and systems but not one has been able to consistently get this player to  achieve standards that the money we paid deserves. 

5 minutes ago, daleblue said:

So is it the Managers fault every time,  Monk had woods at Leeds who in his last year made such an impression he was sold to a Premiership side, so is it the players or the Managers fault?

Carlos?

We can blame all the Managers and systems but not one has been able to consistently get this player to  achieve standards that the money we paid deserves. 

Carlos played him.

Jos, Monk and Pulis didnt. 

To be fair, under Jos Joao and Nuhiu hit such great form it’s not surprising Rhodes got squeezed out.

Monk and Pulis preferred Da Cruz, Wickham, Kachunga, Windass, Marriott.

Upto you whether you think they were right or wrong. Results suggest very wrong but maybe you have a different yardstick than results.

Said in the Reach Harris thread it’s not rocket.

We won’t see the Jordan Rhodes of old that player is long gone. But if we’re crossing the ball in regularly he will score goals. Not in the 20 plus per season he used too but enough that we could stay up. 

As we didn’t pick up a striker or two in January play him until the end of the season and cross the ball. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Carlos played him.

To be fair, under Jos Joao and Nuhiu hit such great form it’s not surprising Rhodes got squeezed out.

Upto you whether you think they were right or wrong. Results suggest very wrong but maybe you have a different yardstick than results.

The results?

If you use this yardstick for every game he has played for us then it is very sad reading. 

And the everytime he has played we have won or drawn doesn't cut it.

Bad players will always look good in a good side.

If I had never seen or heard of Rhodes and were to judge him solely on last night I would say he was a decent player. Good movement, decent link up play, clearly worried the defenders and scored a straightforwardish goal well. 

Paterson also looked good to be fair. A nuisance to Wycombe and a bit unlucky not to get a get a return from a good strike. 

So overall a decent pairing. I think it only worked though because we were playing with width and pace. Crosses were pinging in for fun in the first half. Sometimes better teams will just stop us doing what we did last night and then other players will be better where we need to stretch the game through the middle. 

I am absolutely over the moon we seem (finally) to have a bit of choice up front. Rhodes has developed his game and is giving it a good go. Oh, by the way- apparently he’s good at heading in crosses. Who knew?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Carlos played him.

Joao, Nuhiu, squeezed him out, and how much did we pay for them, and how much were their wages?

Value for money?

Was it a tenth of what we paid for Rhodes?

What you are saying that those 2 were better than a bloke who cost us in the region of 10 million and on top this his wages and a long contract.

Now tell me again I got this wrong, when your own evidence proves me right.

The bloke has been a failure in terms of money we spent.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

We won’t see the Jordan Rhodes of old that player is long gone. But if we’re crossing the ball in regularly he will score goals. Not in the 20 plus per season he used too but enough that we could stay up. 

As we didn’t pick up a striker or two in January play him until the end of the season and cross the ball. 

I’m not saying he is or he isn’t the player he used to be. Quite honestly I can’t remember his game before he came here.

Worth pointing out though that over his last 3 seasons he averages a goal every 183 minutes in the Championship.

I think that’s pretty much the same as his time at Boro, Blackburn and Huddersfield.

The difference is we don’t play him all the time. They did.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, T Hardy said:

2 goals mate.

I’m happy for him but let’s not turn this into another thread where people say other managers ‘didn’t play him right’ and ruined him. 

2 goals. Hopefully the start of many but history hasn’t been erased.

Well done tonight Jordan.

Like many I’ve been critical of Rhodes, but it’s not just 2 goals. The way he contributed is way better than at any time while he has been at S6

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, daleblue said:

Joao, Nuhiu, squeezed him out, and how much did we pay for them, and how much were their wages?

Value for money?

Was it a tenth of what we paid for Rhodes?

What you are saying that those 2 were better than a bloke who cost us in the region of 10 million and on top this his wages and a long contract.

Now tell me again I got this wrong, when your own evidence proves me right.

The bloke has been a failure in terms of money we spent.

You’ve moved the goalposts. It’s price-tag now.

What does that matter at 3pm next Saturday?

And not ducking your question, yes definitely, in the 17/18 season under Jos, Nuhiu and Joao were much better than Rhodes.

39 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

15 minutes ago, Minesapint said:

Like many I’ve been critical of Rhodes, but it’s not just 2 goals. The way he contributed is way better than at any time while he has been at S6

Dutch and Minesapint pretty much sum up the situation for me.  It’s not the solution I was expecting, but it’s pretty much all we’ve got, so Rhodes and Paterson to start most games until the end of the season for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1