Here's what Neil Thompson said after tonights game

Just now, McRightSide said:

You don’t get it.

Im talking about the impact of travelling the length of the country 3 times in a week having an impact on conditioning

Your counter to that is a team who played at home and then had a 90 mile trip to Preston.

Youre actually embarrassing yourself a bit now IMO

I am countering that playing an extra 90 minute match in comparison to your opponents is likely to have more of a physical impact than spending time travelling. 

The club should be able to assess who was likely to be unable to compete for 90 minutes today as a result of the extra travel and change the team accordingly. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

I am countering that playing an extra 90 minute match in comparison to your opponents is likely to have more of a physical impact than spending time travelling. 

The club should be able to assess who was likely to be unable to compete for 90 minutes today as a result of the extra travel and change the team accordingly. 

Ah ok so now you’re changing the argument a bit 

Actually Millwall did have an advantage and it’s likely we could have looked a bit leggy, but it’s the management fault for picking said players?

Funny because I could have sworn you said that Rotherham had proved they could do it so our players should have been fine. 

Bring the goalposts back when you’re done with them.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Daz said:

Tired of hearing all our managers excusing performances because we were ‘leggy’.

Sorry, but they are highly paid professional athletes who are asked at most to run for a maximum of 270 minutes in a week and even then, with breaks depending how play progresses. 

Millwall didn’t appear to be leggy and they’ve played no less than we have.

It’s a poor excuse and enables the players to rely on it. No place for it in the changing room or in interviews.

Millwall had no midweek game. We had a long journey to an evening game at Bournemouth so yes we would have had far less recovery time. However having said that, tiredness is no excuse for grabbing your opponent and hauling him to the ground in the penalty area. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Ah ok so now you’re changing the argument a bit 

Actually Millwall did have an advantage and it’s likely we could have looked a bit leggy, but it’s the management fault for picking said players?

Funny because I could have sworn you said that Rotherham had proved they could do it so our players should have been fine. 

Bring the goalposts back when you’re done with them.

Millwall had an advantage yes.

Not as big of an advantage as Preston had over Rotherham in terms of potential fatigue yet Rotherham were able to cope. 

Thompson has an impossible task really

- we haven’t exactly got strength in depth

- squad rotation means our performances do suffer 

- we churn out a run of results so NT inclined not to rock the boat and change things 

Tuesday night is a massive game and I wonder how the team will deal with that pressure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Forest played away at Coventry and Wycombe this week, won both.

Rotherham played away today on the back of a day less rest than we had after their last game, won both games, Preston, who they beat today had a week without a game. Don't think Rotherham have a huge squad to be able to rotate. 

Seems we are too quick to accept excuses. 

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Millwall had an advantage yes.

Not as big of an advantage as Preston had over Rotherham in terms of potential fatigue yet Rotherham were able to cope. 

Don’t be so quick to accept excuses 

Just now, McRightSide said:

Don’t be so quick to accept excuses 

It is an excuse given that teams like Rotherham are able to cope much better with more impact on their fatigue than their opponents in the build up to games. 

Yes, we were probably impact somewhat by fatigue compared with MIllwall but it shouldn't lead to a capitulation where we were lucky to concede no more than 4 against a team that cant' win at home and struggles to score.

By contrast, Rotherham went into their game with far greater impact on fatigue in the build up to their game compared with their opponents today but didn't capitulate or have to identify fatigue as a reason for defeat. 

We played well in first half but gave them a route back in. Then second half we were terrible but we looked not at the races.

Were a bottom end championship team. We have been better lately but that’s what we are we’re gonna lose games especially in these circumstances. 

Would have been a very good win today. Wasn’t to be but we need to win Tuesday without doubt. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It is an excuse given that teams like Rotherham are able to cope much better with more impact on their fatigue than their opponents in the build up to games. 

Yes, we were probably impact somewhat by fatigue compared with MIllwall but it shouldn't lead to a capitulation where we were lucky to concede no more than 4 against a team that cant' win at home and struggles to score.

By contrast, Rotherham went into their game with far greater impact on fatigue in the build up to their game compared with their opponents today but didn't capitulate or have to identify fatigue as a reason for defeat. 

We played Millwall.

They didn’t travel we did.

You said it was an excuse.

Then you said they had an advantage 

So it’s not an excuse 

But yeah, Rotherham.

• Like 1

Sorry but you can't use tired as an excuse.... They are professional footballers and all teams play Saturday and mid week! At half time I was thinking it would be crazy not to give Thompson it. We were in control passing well Joey was in the last few games showing more quality than he has ever done. My concern after the Coventry game was in the second half we looked clueless and collapsed... Today we did it again. We deflated after Joey's stupid penalty before half time and then in the second half our center mid collapsed. I thought he was bringing in Shaw to play alongside Joey to get a grip, but they moved the focus from the first half of everything being eaten up by Lees, to attacking down their right. Unfortunately after  we replaced Penny with Harris he took Palmer off and out Reach on the left. This was a huge mistake. Reach either was knackered or just useless! Provided no help to Sam. Also for two if their goals was trailing behind his man. So time and again they pushed down the left. By losing the centre Bannan was just trying to tackle and couldn't get a foot on it Shaw ended up roaming around and Joey drifted to the opposite side of the pitch leaving big tape infront of the defence. Kachung was rightly taken off soon into the second half because he got last but Patterson was taken off too soon. We needed his industry along with Rhodes to help have something upfront. When Windass came on we had noone up front as both he and Rhodes fell in to midfield. So we got penned in our own half and the hole side were back to tripping over their own feet miss pass after miss pass. If not injured the. Palmer needed to stay on luongo instead of Shaw  and kachunga for Rhodes. Harris for Penny was right and then in second half take off Reach for Brown. 

Main thing was to have two holding midfield with out Reach on the left would of helped us get a grip and Paterson holding up up top until we got things back in place then make changes up front. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

Sorry but you can't use tired as an excuse.... They are professional footballers and all teams play Saturday and mid week! At half time I was thinking it would be crazy not to give Thompson it. We were in control passing well Joey was in the last few games showing more quality than he has ever done. My concern after the Coventry game was in the second half we looked clueless and collapsed... Today we did it again. We deflated after Joey's stupid penalty before half time and then in the second half our center mid collapsed. I thought he was bringing in Shaw to play alongside Joey to get a grip, but they moved the focus from the first half of everything being eaten up by Lees, to attacking down their right. Unfortunately after  we replaced Penny with Harris he took Palmer off and out Reach on the left. This was a huge mistake. Reach either was knackered or just useless! Provided no help to Sam. Also for two if their goals was trailing behind his man. So time and again they pushed down the left. By losing the centre Bannan was just trying to tackle and couldn't get a foot on it Shaw ended up roaming around and Joey drifted to the opposite side of the pitch leaving big tape infront of the defence. Kachung was rightly taken off soon into the second half because he got last but Patterson was taken off too soon. We needed his industry along with Rhodes to help have something upfront. When Windass came on we had noone up front as both he and Rhodes fell in to midfield. So we got penned in our own half and the hole side were back to tripping over their own feet miss pass after miss pass. If not injured the. Palmer needed to stay on luongo instead of Shaw  and kachunga for Rhodes. Harris for Penny was right and then in second half take off Reach for Brown. 

Main thing was to have two holding midfield with out Reach on the left would of helped us get a grip and Paterson holding up up top until we got things back in place then make changes up front. 

Of course they're tired, just like every other club.

Rotation is just as important as substitutes

NT has tried to keep momentum going

It's no surprise we ran dry today on the back of such good form

The next game is another test, that's football

• Like 1

Whether we were leggy or not completely misses the point.

As I said earlier, this week is the situation for the next 6 weeks. If we’re leggy now, then we’re even more foooked than we thought we were. 

Edited by NeonLeon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It's honestly not worth bothering to debate with people who think that fitness and distance aren't issues in elite sport mate

A goalkeeper and centre back who’ve played about 16 games between them in 12 months, with 8 in the last week or so. And aren’t exactly spring chickens. Penney barely played any then has games back to back 

Lees Bannan and Reach who never get a rest and 2 that cover a ridiculous amount of ground 

Christ it’s no wonder they hit a wall, not to mention the momentum shift with the penalty. It showed 

NT was damned either way today, they clearly needed rotation but we were on a roll, so would have been a big call to change that. 

Big calls on selection for Wycombe. Fixtures are relentless. 

Personally, I’d have rested some at Bournemouth....but NT didn’t and we won! So who am I to doubt his selection today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ashley8 said:

But unfortunately these professional footballers have to play against other, fresher professional footballers. 

So an extra game makes an enormous difference. 

There’s a difference between people’s understanding of leggy as well. It doesn’t mean they’re unfit and it doesn’t mean they can’t run around and get through a game. It means they’re unable to hit elite levels, where 1% makes all the differencr

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bob said:

All these pathetic excuses, leggy, too much travelling, too many games, their tired. 

Professional athletes are supposed to be fit. Good job they're not cyclists in Le Tour, they wouldn't last two stages. They weren't good enough, end of.

Leggy isn’t about being fit or a professional athlete. Leggy is something you don’t feel much in your teens/early 20s but start feeling in your late 20s/30s.

Matt Penney was the only player in our starting line up under 25.

We’ve an old team and it showed in the second half today 

9 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

But unfortunately these professional footballers have to play against other, fresher professional footballers. 

So an extra game makes an enormous difference. 

There’s a difference between people’s understanding of leggy as well. It doesn’t mean they’re unfit and it doesn’t mean they can’t run around and get through a game. It means they’re unable to hit elite levels, where 1% makes all the differencr

Agree 100 percent with what you are saying. 

What is the solution to this problem though?  

Use the rest of the players who haven't featured much.  We don't rotate players effectively, we over rely on a few key players.  I mentioned in another thread, when Bazza lost the ball in the first half, he basically just left it for the defenders to deal with.  

It is in games like today that players need to dig deep, that's the big worry for me, we just looked like we were going through the motions especially in the second half.  

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Not sure you understand what travelling can do to a human

Just what I was thinking???? F+++k&&g leggy....I absolutely hate these player's I really do Bannan gets nearly 30k per week let that sink in...it absolutely pains me to say it but can you imagine the bloke with yellow teeth form across the city saying his team was leggy....

Edited by owlster