David Sunley

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I never saw him play, but a friend of mine is related to him, and his father says Sunley was a talented lad, who should have gone a lot further. Looking at his stats, he seemed OKish for us, albeit at a time when we weren’t setting a particularly high bar. I wondered if many on here saw him play and what recollections they might have. 
Looks like he should have been in a boy band, if they had those back then

He was a decent young player for us with potential.

Southampton, alledgedly, offered £100k for him in the early 1970's, a lot of money then, but we turned the offer down, and saddly He never hit those heights again and eventually left on the cheap.

Just goes to show the mess we are in now is not a new experience.

1 hour ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

His best season was 1972/73 when he looked, on occasion, as though he could have gone right to the top. His goal at home to Bristol City in that season is still the best I have ever seen.

There were rumours that some of the First Division clubs were going to come in for him; he was talked of as being a £100,000 player which back then was big money. If he'd gone he might well have made a decent career but he stayed too long and got stuck in the mediocrity of the following two years. When he did leave, which if memory serves me right was to Hull City, we couldn't agree on a fee and I think it was settled by a tribunal for something like £7500.

Several years later I did happen to see him playing for Stockport County at Wimbledon in the Fourth Division. Operating in midfield by then.

Cant add to that fred

I was lucky enough to interview him for my book (Our Lowest Ebb?) A really good bloke, as others have said, lives Dronfield way now. Scored in the 4-4 against Manchester United in 1974. Went on loan to Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest for a month - but never actually met Cloughie!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

He did and it was a last minute leveler. We saw out the additional 30 minutes to guarantee  a second replay at Villa Park. That was one of those games that live in the memory. We outnumbered the Palace fans about 6 to 1. We were never in front until Brian Joicey thundered in an unstoppable header at our end to put us in front 3-2 and  spark the wildest of wild celebrations.

As for Sunley he had a decent touch but lacked a little strength and pace.

Joicey hat trick that night.

Behind twice and won in extra time, great night

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BIG D said:

Joicey hat trick that night.

Behind twice and won in extra time, great night

Oh it was!  In my entire 54 years watching Wednesday it's in my top 10.  We weren't expecting to get anything and when we went behind for the second time it looked over. Absolute pandemonium when Joicey scored to win. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Oh it was!  In my entire 54 years watching Wednesday it's in my top 10.  We weren't expecting to get anything and when we went behind for the second time it looked over. Absolute pandemonium when Joicey scored to win. 

I think we then lost at home to Chelsea 2-1 in the next round, with John Holsgrove and one of theirs getting sent off - a definite anticlimax 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ray Von shabba said:

What I'd give for a Graham Pugh in midfield at the moment.

Remember at Oakwell when he hacked Norman Hunter down and Hunters boot came off.

Pugh picked it up and threw it into the crowd.

Not blessed with a lot of skill but as hard hell, warrior.

I used to bloody love Graham Pugh - No nonsense enforcer. Reyt dirty bstd at times tho. 😃

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hugeowl said:

Can’t really add anything more than people have said , 

He was a Wednesdayite still used to see him in the South stand not that long ago.

Lived in DRONFIELD I believe as does Joicey 

Yep huge Wednesdayite, he lived across the road from me when I was a kid, he was playing for Stockport in them days. Actually saw him just before Xmas in Dronfield with his wife.

Just now, Ozymandias Owl said:

Funnily enough YouTube served up this vintage Wednesday performance for me a couple of weeks ago. Way before my time, but Sunley and Joicey both score for Wednesday in front of the Kop

keith macklin was a fine commentator ...... " it looks like sunley who got his head to the ball ".....he fecking volleyed it in from 10 yards out .

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Funnily enough YouTube served up this vintage Wednesday performance for me a couple of weeks ago. Way before my time, but Sunley and Joicey both score for Wednesday in front of the Kop

Good to see the Scrubbers were losing 3-1

lol

Edited by BIG D
  • Haha 5

32 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

We weren’t great back then, but at least we’d take the game to our opponents. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Thanks for posting that, took me back to being there at the game, I can remember Joicey's goal but had forgotten the others....I was a Kop dweller in those days before moving to the North Stand...great days.

• Like 1
  • Love 1