David Sunley

I never saw him play, but a friend of mine is related to him, and his father says Sunley was a talented lad, who should have gone a lot further. Looking at his stats, he seemed OKish for us, albeit at a time when we weren’t setting a particularly high bar. I wondered if many on here saw him play and what recollections they might have. 
Looks like he should have been in a boy band, if they had those back then

His best season was 1972/73 when he looked, on occasion, as though he could have gone right to the top. His goal at home to Bristol City in that season is still the best I have ever seen.

There were rumours that some of the First Division clubs were going to come in for him; he was talked of as being a £100,000 player which back then was big money. If he'd gone he might well have made a decent career but he stayed too long and got stuck in the mediocrity of the following two years. When he did leave, which if memory serves me right was to Hull City, we couldn't agree on a fee and I think it was settled by a tribunal for something like £7500.

Several years later I did happen to see him playing for Stockport County at Wimbledon in the Fourth Division. Operating in midfield by then.

Yes Guru I saw him play quite a bit in the 70’s . I believe he and Jimmy Mullen debuted in the same match at Hull on Boxing Day it finished 4-4 after the owls were 4-1 up. Sunley and Mullen were both pretty lightweight when they started having come up from the juniors and I seem to remember they were both put on a Sherry and eggs diet to build them up...maybe that was just The Star making stuff up. He was a bit like a poor mans Gary Bannister as a player, and both he and Prendergast lacked the height to be out and out strikers.

He did score some good goals in a poor Wednesday side at the time, can’t remember where he finished up after Wednesday though.

The match at Hull on Boxing Day 1970 has been mentioned a lot on here before. I’ve just looked up a programme from then and the Wednesday team on the back is very different from the one that played on the day. I think Torry owl has a book with all the team lists in it.

on the programmes the team is shown as:

Peter Grummitt

Harold Wilcockson

Kenny Burton

Sam Ellis

Colin Prophett

Alan Thompson

Graham Pugh

Jackie Sinclair

Alan Warboys

Mick Prendergast

John Sissons

but that’s not who turned out on the day due to injuries I think...interestingly there are 5 defenders in the side and not much of a midfield...things don’t change!
and no Tommy Craig mentioned either?

24 minutes ago, sternlad said:

The match at Hull on Boxing Day 1970 has been mentioned a lot on here before. I’ve just looked up a programme from then and the Wednesday team on the back is very different from the one that played on the day. I think Torry owl has a book with all the team lists in it.

on the programmes the team is shown as:

Peter Grummitt

Harold Wilcockson

Kenny Burton

Sam Ellis

Colin Prophett

Alan Thompson

Graham Pugh

Jackie Sinclair

Alan Warboys

Mick Prendergast

John Sissons

but that’s not who turned out on the day due to injuries I think...interestingly there are 5 defenders in the side and not much of a midfield...things don’t change!
and no Tommy Craig mentioned either?

What I'd give for a Graham Pugh in midfield at the moment.

Remember at Oakwell when he hacked Norman Hunter down and Hunters boot came off.

Pugh picked it up and threw it into the crowd.

Not blessed with a lot of skill but as hard hell, warrior.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Can’t really add anything more than people have said , 

He was a Wednesdayite still used to see him in the South stand not that long ago.

Lived in DRONFIELD I believe as does Joicey 

Spoke to him last week when walked past my house with his wife, we past comments regarding the current managerial situation

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Can’t really add anything more than people have said , 

He was a Wednesdayite still used to see him in the South stand not that long ago.

Lived in DRONFIELD I believe as does Joicey 

They all end up there eventually

Dronfield is like an old people's home for retired footballers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

26 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Didn't he celebrate his 21st birthday by scoring away at Palace in the cup

... and then got himself arrested for wrecking a flower bed when the team returned to Sheffield?    

Had to make your own entertainment in those days   :dry:

He did and it was a last minute leveler. We saw out the additional 30 minutes to guarantee  a second replay at Villa Park. That was one of those games that live in the memory. We outnumbered the Palace fans about 6 to 1. We were never in front until Brian Joicey thundered in an unstoppable header at our end to put us in front 3-2 and  spark the wildest of wild celebrations.

As for Sunley he had a decent touch but lacked a little strength and pace.

• Like 6