What did we learn after signing Grant Holt?

6 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Find it hard to remember a striker who had his best spell of his career with us, we tend to ruin them. Can’t think of any since Hirst.

Feels like for 16 of the last 20 seasons we’ve played on the back foot and made it really difficult for attackers to play in our team.

We’ve even managed to ruin one of the divisions highest ever scorers. Bet when Rhodes leaves he suddenly finds his scoring boots again

Tudgay? MacLean? Nuhiu?

I don't know if anyone else went to Brentford away during Grant Holt's short spell with us.

He was big and awkward and had a half decent game that day.

I am still mystified why Chris Turner thought that Kim Olssen wouyd be a better option.  He was truly gash.

• Like 1

Just now, Owls Loyal said:

I don't know if anyone else went to Brentford away during Grant Holt's short spell with us.

I am still mystified why Chris Turner thought that Kim Olssen wouyd be a better option.  He was truly gash.

Yes I went 

was that the game when it chucked it down . I seem to remember trying to shelter under the floodlight on their open terrace.

holt was excellent that day 

Guest LondonOwl313
10 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Tudgay? MacLean? Nuhiu?

I guess you could also add Madine. But Madine and Maclean only really did it for us in league 1 when we were on the front foot, so in the other 4 out of the last 20 seasons. 

Tudgay was decent but only a 1 in 4 striker. Nuhui had longevity but was a 1 in 6 striker with a big chunk of those penalties too, particularly under Gray. I’d have kept him on vs what we have now, but these tick the box of they had there least bad spell of their career here rather than it being the best spell

MarkOwl said this but if we had held onto Grant Holt for another year or so we could have scooped the £1 million transfer fee.

Chris Walter Mitty Turner let him go for £10,000 and used the money to buy Kim Olssen.

Now how did he do?

42 minutes ago, markowl said:

We should have learnt not to sign players like Grant Holt again 

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Yes I went 

was that the game when it chucked it down . I seem to remember trying to shelter under the floodlight on their open terrace.

holt was excellent that day 

Did it always chuck it down at Brentford? I got soaked at Griffin Park in Feb 2005 (the 3-3 game) and Holt was long gone by then...

1 hour ago, beef said:

Was never given  a proper chance. Huge step up from Barrow and we didn't give him the opportunity to develop. Should have gone out on loan instead of moved on

Correct.   He started 12 league games for us, and came on as sub 12 times.   Probably rarely had a 90 minute game.

Yes- he was raw, but it's another one we let slip through our fingers.

I remember going for a walk in Norwich City club shop in about 2012.   He'd fired 21 league goals to get them up, and scored 15 in the Prem in 2011-12 to keep them there.  There were posters of him all over the walls.  Quite the hero, understandably.

7 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

This.
I cant remember ever thinking we had a good player when he was here, just looked a 4th Division target man at best.

On a par with someone like Barry Corr but went on to play and do well at a much higher level.

We should take more chances on lower league players, it costs very little. Holt didn't work out, as you say, didn't impress at that stage in his career. Ryan Lowe did though.

1 minute ago, 31Dec1966 said:

We should take more chances on lower league players, it costs very little. Holt didn't work out, as you say, didn't impress at that stage in his career. Ryan Lowe did though.

I didn't rate Ryan Lowe, thought his finishing was poor considering his reputation. 
Not the worst player I have seen for Wednesday but was not sorry he was moved on after less then a year.

6 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

I was at that game, Holt and Owusu caused them no end of problems!

I didn't rate Holt but given that Turner said he had unearthed a rough diamond it was a surprise to see him bin him off a year later rather than loan him out and see what he could do.

Kim Olsen though, shocking. 

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

I didn't rate Ryan Lowe, thought his finishing was poor considering his reputation. 
Not the worst player I have seen for Wednesday but was not sorry he was moved on after less then a year.

Lowe was 31 when we signed him and had only ever played in the lower leagues. He scored 8 goals in 11 league starts and 15 sub appearances for us, not a bad record at all and I thought he deserved another year as a cheap squad option. 

5 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

MarkOwl said this but if we had held onto Grant Holt for another year or so we could have scooped the £1 million transfer fee.

Chris Walter Mitty Turner let him go for £10,000 and used the money to buy Kim Olssen.

Now how did he do?

When did he move for £1M?

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Norwich to Wigan

He still does a bit for Norwich now, but most his time is spent as Head of Football at a private school in Norfolk 

I know that. The post I was replying to said that if we had held on to him for a year we could have scooped the £1M transfer fee. We sold him in 2004 and he didn't move for anything like that amount until 2013.