What did we learn after signing Grant Holt?

1 hour ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

What a dogger striker looks like. Strangely he turned out pretty decent. 

This.
I cant remember ever thinking we had a good player when he was here, just looked a 4th Division target man at best.

On a par with someone like Barry Corr but went on to play and do well at a much higher level.

• Like 3

Who would have ever thought he would carve such a career for himself based on his performances with us?! 

Full credit to him for improving as much as he did and making the most out of talent he had. 

His example shows that most players will do well if you Ask them to do what they actually good at and give them bit of support. 

• Like 1

For me, there are 3 ingredients to a good footballer. By that, I mean someone who contributes and makes the team better. After all, football at this level is a team sport, despite fans obsessions with individual players.

They are:

1. The fundamental footballer

2. Match fitness

3. Confidence

Item 1 is obviously 80% of the battle, but the latter two should not be underestimated, within an elite sporting environment. In order to perform at their optimum, players need to be given a run in the team, even knowing they will underperform until they ‘get up to speed’. Fans have to have some patience, which they largely do and the manager needs to instil confidence in the player to, as an example, hit the risky forward pass, as opposed to the safe square pass. 

Over the years, I think we do not recognise points 2&3 as much as we should and are too quick to write players off. Another point is players like Holt can be coached to improve their game. I am not sure how well we do at improving individual players sometimes.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Pieman said:

For me, there are 3 ingredients to a good footballer. By that, I mean someone who contributes and makes the team better. After all, football at this level is a team sport, despite fans obsessions with individual players.

They are:

1. The fundamental footballer

2. Match fitness

3. Confidence

Item 1 is obviously 80% of the battle, but the latter two should not be underestimated, within an elite sporting environment. In order to perform at their optimum, players need to be given a run in the team, even knowing they will underperform until they ‘get up to speed’. Fans have to have some patience, which they largely do and the manager needs to instil confidence in the player to, as an example, hit the risky forward pass, as opposed to the safe square pass. 

Over the years, I think we do not recognise points 2&3 as much as we should and are too quick to write players off. Another point is players like Holt can be coached to improve their game. I am not sure how well we do at improving individual players sometimes.

Brilliant post.

We as a club and fans are no where near patient enough. Then we have the odd one who were over patient and persistent with when its clear to see there not up to standard. Its bizarre.

The above point is key.

• Like 1

You could say we saw that we could get a player for next to no money and improve him. Most of his appearances where subs so the 4 in 30 though better than all the strikers we currently have at the club is probably a lot better.

There is some good talented players in none league if you have the time to better then you can both help your team but also improve you clubs bank balance. Look at the lad at Huddersfield Koroma 70 games in the national league for Orient Huddersfield signed him for a very small fee. After having a spell on loan he had 6 goals and 2 assist in 16 games before his injury. 

Always remember seeing him play one of his first games (professionally) at Hillsborough. First thing he did wrong, felt like everyone ‘round me was screaming “you fat useless c*nt” at him, only a young lad. We, as fans really don’t help the situation...especially at Hillsborough. Horrid place sometimes. Glad he went on to have a good career. 

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313

Find it hard to remember a striker who had his best spell of his career with us, we tend to ruin them. Can’t think of any since Hirst.

Feels like for 16 of the last 20 seasons we’ve played on the back foot and made it really difficult for attackers to play in our team.

We’ve even managed to ruin one of the divisions highest ever scorers. Bet when Rhodes leaves he suddenly finds his scoring boots again