Paris v Istanbul

We all cringe when the old bloke in our office refers to someone as the black one on so and so’s team. It’s just massively ignorant and so out of touch with how the majority of people would want to be referred to in his day and age. Baffles me how out of touch with this some people are. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SiJ said:

What does that even mean?

Obviously everyone is entitled to an opinion but I take the word of the writer for the independent writing a full article and the reasons why she has that opinion over a highly charged incident of a footballer making their point on the pitch.

Neil should keep a list of users who are consistently racist/bigoted and then every time they post have a flag (like Twitter did with Trump's election win claims) to state that this poster has been openly racist in the past and may have been racist in this post.

Or he could just ban the racists but we all know he likes having a few on the site.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dore Owl said:

We all cringe when the old bloke in our office refers to someone as the black one on so and so’s team. It’s just massively ignorant and so out of touch with how the majority of people would want to be referred to in his day and age. Baffles me how out of touch with this some people are. 

I think it's a situation by situation call. If there are a group of people and you need to identify someone then their colour is a good identifier.

I think you're conflating this in your example which seems like the needless use of mentioning their skin colour which is what happens frequently at my work "the last person I saw said this...the Chinese/Polish one" it's irrelevant to say that.

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I think it's a situation by situation call. If there are a group of people and you need to identify someone then their colour is a good identifier.

I think you're conflating this in your example which seems like the needless use of mentioning their skin colour which is what happens frequently at my work "the last person I saw said this...the Chinese/Polish one" it's irrelevant to say that.

Why would he use skin colour when there was more than one black person on the bench?

And are we still saying a UEFA Official doesn't know the name of the Assistant Head Coach of one of the teams?

3 minutes ago, markowl said:

Why would he use skin colour when there was more than one black person on the bench?

And are we still saying a UEFA Official doesn't know the name of the Assistant Head Coach of one of the teams?

I presume most were not black on the bench. Would be quite weird if they were mainly black, I would then agree that is needless use of the skin colour. 

I don't think there is any necessity to learn who all the players and coaches are. If that were the case why do the players need numbers?

5 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I presume most were not black on the bench. Would be quite weird if they were mainly black, I would then agree that is needless use of the skin colour. 

I don't think there is any necessity to learn who all the players and coaches are. If that were the case why do the players need numbers?

Honestly!

Do you stop and think before you type?

lol

10 minutes ago, markowl said:

@Ellis Rimmer is Ryan Baldwin

:duntmatter:

If it's their job to learn all the players and coaches names and by that I mean that is literally protocol that they should know the player and coaches names then they should be reprimanded for not doing their job properly. I would have no issue with that. 

2 hours ago, Dore Owl said:

It's how the old bloke  was brought up ....eusebio was always known as la perla  negra, george Headley was the black bradman though his countrymen thought bradman was the white Headley. Viv anderson will always be known as the 1st black england player..no doubt you'll say summat in 40 years time that is perfectly acceptable now that will make young people cringe.