Paris v Istanbul

32 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

If you were at work in a shop or a pub or any customer-facing job, and you had a few customers waiting to be served including one who was black (or old, or disabled) and your colleague came to help you and asked who was next, you wouldn’t go “it’s the black/old/disabled one” would you? 

Unless you are Ellis Rimmer, apparently.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

It's not service though is it? 

Different ways of speaking in different situations

If it was a police incident for example skin colour would be absolutely necessary to describe somebody

It’s not a police incident though is it — it’s literally something that happened in a workplace!

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

You made an analogy in a service environment

Yes, because it’s something easy to understand. I’m sure most of us have been at either side of the bar or the service counter at some point. You can use the same analogy for pretty much any other workplace scenario though and my point would be the same.

Client, colleague, customer, whoever... when working in a professional capacity, you wouldn’t single someone out as being black/old/disabled... or maybe you would, I don’t know. If someone did that at my firm they’d probably be facing disciplinary action

6 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Yes, because it’s something easy to understand. I’m sure most of us have been at either side of the bar or the service counter at some point. You can use the same analogy for pretty much any other workplace scenario though and my point would be the same.

Client, colleague, customer, whoever... when working in a professional capacity, you wouldn’t single someone out as being black/old/disabled... or maybe you would, I don’t know. If someone did that at my firm they’d probably be facing disciplinary action

You should read the link I posted. Black people aren't ashamed of being black, therefore have no issue being referred to by their skin colour when appropriate such as if they need to be described.

This whole incident last night is because the word used sounds like an offensive term.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

You should read the link I posted. Black people aren't ashamed of being black, therefore have no issue being referred to by their skin colour when appropriate such as if they need to be described.

This whole incident last night is because the word used sounds like an offensive term.

Istanbul forward Demba Ba, who was a substitute, could be seen on the touchline asking the official: "Why, when you mention a black guy, do you have to say this black guy?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55219529

9 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Istanbul forward Demba Ba, who was a substitute, could be seen on the touchline asking the official: "Why, when you mention a black guy, do you have to say this black guy?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55219529

Well Ba contradicts the article I posted. Personally think he thought he was being called the N word, and is backtracking to make this point once they explained

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Well Ba contradicts the article I posted. Personally think he thought he was being called the N word, and is backtracking to make this point once they explained

Is the woman in the article you keep mentioning speaking on behalf of every black person, or is she giving her personal opinion?