Paris v Istanbul

13 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Just popped back to see if racism is still be defended by the usual suspect (s).

Yep.

Two sets of players walked off the pitch, in a Champions League game.

But @Ellis Rimmer thinks the 4th official didn't do anything wrong  .

I am not defending racism. I am debating whether something was racist. Big difference.

4 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Well Ba contradicts the article I posted. Personally think he thought he was being called the N word, and is backtracking to make this point once they explained

Perhaps the article you quoted isn't the be all and end all of the subject and does not speak for everyone?

How can he be contradicting an article he has not contributed to?

4 hours ago, Dronfield Blue said:

It's one of two things.

It's either lost in translation, or, it's offensive.

Best to let UEFA finish their investigation first rather than having a stab in the dark.

With hindsight, it would have been better if the official had pointed the person out and said, it was him.

Hindsight should not be required. At that level of the game with the focus that the sport has on such issued the official should and probably has received training on such matters.

It may well have been a mistake made in the heat of a moment rather than being purposely offensive but it is still something that has to been acknowledged and learned from. 

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I presume most were not black on the bench. Would be quite weird if they were mainly black, I would then agree that is needless use of the skin colour. 

I don't think there is any necessity to learn who all the players and coaches are. If that were the case why do the players need numbers?

Probably more important to know the names of key personnel given that they wont be identifiable by numbers.

What would you have expected the ref to make a note of when he sent the guy off? Do you think he would have noted it down as 'the black guy' just as the 4th official told him? 

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh but nobody actually posts what I say on other forums to back their points do they? lol

I'd certainly hope not! 

44 minutes ago, Manwithastick said:

@Ellis Rimmer do you work for the NHS?

Yes

38 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Perhaps the article you quoted isn't the be all and end all of the subject and does not speak for everyone?

How can he be contradicting an article he has not contributed to?

Well the article appears quite informed, I'm sure many have the same view

28 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Probably more important to know the names of key personnel given that they wont be identifiable by numbers.

What would you have expected the ref to make a note of when he sent the guy off? Do you think he would have noted it down as 'the black guy' just as the 4th official told him? 

I don't know what you expect me to comment here. I don't know whether the officials are supposed to learn all the names.

Where has this notion come from that you don’t refer to someone by their skin colour?

If it’s the only distinguishing feature when there is no other, what’s the problem? In fact it looks ridiculous if you strain to find something more obscure, as of black is bad.

I’ve recently been on a race relations workshop (led by a guy originally from sun-Saharan Africa) and denying people’s ethnicity is considered a micro aggression similar to “I’ve got black mates” as they are proud of their heritage.

But the white middle class judge and jury on Twitter and owlstalk have ruled that he’s racist so that’s that I guess. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

Where has this notion come from that you don’t refer to someone by their skin colour?

If it’s the only distinguishing feature when there is no other, what’s the problem? In fact it looks ridiculous if you strain to find something more obscure, as of black is bad.

I’ve recently been on a race relations workshop (led by a guy originally from sun-Saharan Africa) and denying people’s ethnicity is considered a micro aggression similar to “I’ve got black mates” as they are proud of their heritage.

But the white middle class judge and jury on Twitter and owlstalk have ruled that he’s racist so that’s that I guess. 

If it's not such a big deal, why did both teams walk off the field and refuse to carry on?

6 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yes

Well the article appears quite informed, I'm sure many have the same view

I don't know what you expect me to comment here. I don't know whether the officials are supposed to learn all the names.

So if you worked in a hospital or a surgery and walked into a waiting room with half a dozen people, 5 white and 1 black, you would be fine saying, 'I'll see the black guy next'?

6 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

I've recently done some diversity training and singling out someone and referring to them as 'the black guy' would not be well received, especially when there is more than one black person in the vicinity. 

2 minutes ago, markowl said:

If it's not such a big deal, why did both teams walk off the field and refuse to carry on?

Because they thought it was a more offensive term and/or didn’t know the full facts.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I've recently done some diversity training and singling out someone and referring to them as 'the black guy' would not be well received, especially when there is more than one black person in the vicinity. 

If he needs to quickly identify someone, doesn’t know their name and all other things are equal what does he do?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PeteG_1984 said:

If he needs to quickly identify someone, doesn’t know their name and all other things are equal what does he do?

Are you honestly suggesting a EUFA match official doesn't know the Assistant Coach of one of the two teams playing?

Come on mate that's insane.