Paris v Istanbul

52 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

Referees regularly ask players their name and number. Sometimes they’re not happy on a “don’t you know who I am basis” but occasionally it happens.

Procedure perhaps, like not referring to someone as 'the black guy' is probably part of their procedure too! 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

What has that got to do with this incident?

He didn't need to remember anything about him, he should have known who he was as it is part of his job and even then he could have pointed him out without having to refer to the 'black guy' when there were other black guys in the same area.

I am trying to gauge what the argument is here. Is it wrong to refer to skin colour under any circumstances or what?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don't recall Stan collymore playing in the champions league to be honest so I find it quite irrelevant what he says

Yeah, likely that officials in the Champions league do a less thorough job than in the professional competitions that Collymore has experienced this in! 

25 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

Where a ref didn’t know a particular player’s name? Any situation where they book the wrong person or book them twice without sending them off for a start (Graham Poll Croatia v Australia in 2006).

I think that was incompetence rather than him not knowing someone's name.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Yeah, likely that officials in the Champions league do a less thorough job than in the professional competitions that Collymore has experienced this in! 

Collymore is a bad person. I don't trust what he says. I would not be surprised if he completely made it up.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I am trying to gauge what the argument is here. Is it wrong to refer to skin colour under any circumstances or what?

It is clearly wrong in this incident. Players of both clubs agreed on that and took action. 

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

So, if there was more than one black person, you think it's acceptable to refer to one of them as "the black guy"?

Just on the name thing, even if the official did know everyone's name, it's not beyond the realms of believability that he forgot it at that moment. I don't think we can categorically accuse him of purposefully using his skin colour rather than his name to identify him, that would obviously be massively racist.

Despite that, its in any case racially insensitive and the guy needs educating on the issue, as do some on here unfortunately, good luck to those who are trying.

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Collymore is a bad person. I don't trust what he says. I would not be surprised if he completely made it up.

How do we know whether you are a 'bad person' or not?

Quick to judge from afar. 

While I don't agree or condone some of the things Collymore has done, it doesn't automatically make him a liar on things like this, he has been frank and open about many of his mistakes.

Just now, markowl said:

So, if there was more than one black person, you think it's acceptable to refer to one of them as "the black guy"?

He's talking to the other official, saying it was the black person, he's used his skin colour as an identifier. That should not cause offence because there isn't anything wrong about being black. I think they heard the word for black in Romanian and thought he was saying the N word. 

Would you not under any circumstances refer to the colour of somebodies skin if you were describing them in a group? How would you go about explaining the person you meant? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How do we know whether you are a 'bad person' or not?

Quick to judge from afar. 

While I don't agree or condone some of the things Collymore has done, it doesn't automatically make him a liar on things like this, he has been frank and open about many of his mistakes.

He is a bad person because he beat up Ulrika and also if you read his autobiography he doesn't come across as being a nice person.

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He's talking to the other official, saying it was the black person, he's used his skin colour as an identifier. That should not cause offence because there isn't anything wrong about being black. I think they heard the word for black in Romanian and thought he was saying the N word. 

Would you not under any circumstances refer to the colour of somebodies skin if you were describing them in a group? How would you go about explaining the person you meant? 

There was more than one black person there.

Why would you refer to the black person when there's more than one?

Seriously, are you being deliberately thick?

Just now, markowl said:

There was more than one black person there.

Why would you refer to the black person when there's more than one?

Seriously, are you being deliberately thick?

How many coaches do they have and how many are black?

Edited by Ellis Rimmer

Just now, markowl said:

Why did you read his autobiography if his opinion is irrelevant to you?

Because he is an interesting character and is good to listen to, he used to do a good show on talk sport. Upon reading his autobiography I came to the conclusion he isn't a nice fellow.