Paris v Istanbul

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So if you worked in a hospital or a surgery and walked into a waiting room with half a dozen people, 5 white and 1 black, you would be fine saying, 'I'll see the black guy next'?

Of course I wouldn't. I wouldn't use any physical identifier to call anyone in that situation.

If you spoke to a black person you didn't know, and were later trying to refer to this person to a group of people that did know him, would you avoid saying his skin colour even if you couldn't remember much else about him?

• Like 1

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Of course I wouldn't. I wouldn't use any physical identifier to call anyone in that situation.

If you spoke to a black person you didn't know, and were later trying to refer to this person to a group of people that did know him, would you avoid saying his skin colour even if you couldn't remember much else about him?

Are you suggesting the Fourth Official couldn't remember much about Webo?

WTF:

2 minutes ago, markowl said:

Are you honestly suggesting a EUFA match official doesn't know the Assistant Coach of one of the two teams playing?

Come on mate that's insane.

Yes. They referee lots of matches and wouldn’t necessarily remember every player in the starting XI plus subs off the top of their head. Why do you think refs ask for names in the book for yellows? 

1 minute ago, markowl said:

Thanks.

Are you honestly suggesting all 22 players on the field speak fluent Romanian?

Come on mate that's insane.

2 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

Yes. They referee lots of matches and wouldn’t necessarily remember every player in the starting XI plus subs off the top of their head. Why do you think refs ask for names in the book for yellows? 

I'm sorry, I didn't realise they took names because they didn't know them.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, markowl said:

I'm sorry, I didn't realise they took names because they didn't know them.

:duntmatter:

Referees regularly ask players their name and number. Sometimes they’re not happy on a “don’t you know who I am basis” but occasionally it happens.

• Haha 1

Guest Manwithastick
25 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

Because they thought it was a more offensive term and/or didn’t know the full facts.

If he needs to quickly identify someone, doesn’t know their name and all other things are equal what does he do?

Here's a crazy (and none racist) solution; perhaps ask the individual concerned their name?

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Why are you continually making this point? I have no idea whether they learn the player names or not.

Because people are continually suggesting that a match official won't know the names of participants in a match.

And didn't Stan Collymore say that they 100% do learn their names, or doesn't his view matter?

Just now, markowl said:

Because people are continually suggesting that a match official won't know the names of participants in a match.

And didn't Stan Collymore say that they 100% do learn their names, or doesn't his view matter?

I don't recall Stan collymore playing in the champions league to be honest so I find it quite irrelevant what he says

3 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don't recall Stan collymore playing in the champions league to be honest so I find it quite irrelevant what he says

You've never played in the Champions League but you seem to know a lot about whether 4th officials know the players' names.

lol

Just now, markowl said:

You've never played in the Champions League but you seem to know a lot about whether 4th officials know the players' names.

lol

I just presumed they don't have to learn player and coach names, i am not arguing about that. As I say if UEFA expect them to learn names to avoid this situation, and they haven't done that, it would be right to reprimand them.

27 minutes ago, markowl said:

Can you give me an example of when this has happened?

Where a ref didn’t know a particular player’s name? Any situation where they book the wrong person or book them twice without sending them off for a start (Graham Poll Croatia v Australia in 2006).

14 minutes ago, Manwithastick said:

Here's a crazy (and none racist) solution; perhaps ask the individual concerned their name?

Ideally he would have done that. But it doesn’t make him racist 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, markowl said:

And John Barnes has said this isn’t necessarily the case. Particularly with lesser known teams from a different country.

1 hour ago, PeteG_1984 said:

Because they thought it was a more offensive term and/or didn’t know the full facts.

If he needs to quickly identify someone, doesn’t know their name and all other things are equal what does he do?

Why does he need to quickly identify the person, he's not likely to run off!

There was more than one black person on the bench, he could simply have pointed to the person he was referring to. 

58 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

What has that got to do with this incident?

He didn't need to remember anything about him, he should have known who he was as it is part of his job and even then he could have pointed him out without having to refer to the 'black guy' when there were other black guys in the same area.