Paris v Istanbul

8 minutes ago, gazzatheowl said:

what was the fourth official thinking. Think Demba Ba got sent off the bench for complaining about what was said.

So, the 4th official pointed someone out by the colour of their skin. Ba heard and complains and gets sent off?

4 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

So, the 4th official pointed someone out by the colour of their skin. Ba heard and complains and gets sent off?

It would appear he used the Romanian word “negru” (black) and it’s been misheard as n*gro or “n***er”. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mirodo said:

It would appear he used the Romanian word “negru” (black) and it’s been misheard as n*gro or “n***er”. 

Have they resumed then? there was another story recently about somebody getting upset by a word the sounds like something offensive. 

Edited by Ellis Rimmer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mirodo said:

Nope still suspended.

Ridiculous. Even worse is that Ba is repeating the word that he's used 'Negru' so should be aware as a well travelled person that would likely mean black in Romanian. Or is he literally offended about being referred to by his skin colour?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

turns out I got it wrong. when I turned over the ref was pointing Demba Ba to the stands as Ba was telling the ref what was said so I thought Ba was the one to get red carded. It was actually the assistant coach Pierre Webo that was sent to the stands. Some Players from both sides and both managers say they heard what was said but as Mirodo says could be a mix up between languages.

48 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Ridiculous. Even worse is that Ba is repeating the word that he's used 'Negru' so should be aware as a well travelled person that would likely mean black in Romanian. Or is he literally offended about being referred to by his skin colour?

Where's Ba? 

3 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

You just don’t refer to someone by their skin colour. 

I think the UEFA guy could have just pointed or maybe should already have known Webo's name given he'd be spending time near him there anyway. He'll no doubt already have had 'sensitivity training' by UEFA in his career.

The allegation of racism though is very tricky to prove vs clumsy and awkward. A complex issue of intent/understanding.

Same as the Millwall/Colchester events where clearly most of their fans have had no issue with Kick It Out etc for years but happen to loathe BLM itself.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

So.

If you were an official at a Champions League match, you'd know who all the players and coaching staff were wouldn't you?

You would say to the ref "Webo needs a red card".

Wouldn't you?

Edited by markowl

28 minutes ago, markowl said:

So.

If you were an official at a Champions League match, you'd know who all the players and coaching staff were wouldn't you?

You would say to the ref "Webo needs a red card".

Wouldn't you?

I don't think they would know who all the players and coaches are at all so if they need to identify someone what is the matter with the skin colour as an identifier? Is it offensive? If the guy had ginger hair would it be offensive to refer to that? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1