Iorfa- Midfield Colossus?

In all of the posts about yesterday’s game something seems to have escaped much discussion. 
The frankly extraordinary sight of Iorfa in midfield. 
To me he looked like the crazy love child of Carlton Palmer and Tom Huddleston. 
After the first 5 mins or so where he ran around like he wasn’t sure what to do he seemed to settle down and was quite influential. He just seemed to be so big and fast. 
Is this the future? 
I have no idea, but it was a magnificent sight and one I am glad I have had opportunity to witness. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Thought he played very well and could be a decent option in midfield.  Pulis is trying to learn about his players in his first 3 weeks in charge but isn’t allowed that luxury by some.  

It’s no coincidence to me that we lost the game after our best striker and Iorfa had to be taken off.  

• Like 7

He did ok. 

His first touch is very poor though. Means we’ll give the ball away a lot.

It will be very interesting to see if it was a one off. If Puli doesn’t rate Brown we could see plenty of Dom in midfield.

• Like 2

His second touch is a tackle but he looked like the one player we had in the middle of the park with the ability to drive forward, I think he might be a decent stop gap until January when hopefully we can bring someone in who has the ability to do that and is a more natural fit as a midfielder

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox

Not good enough on the ball for midfield. If we do sign another mid in Jan, I’d want a Steve Watson-type. He upgraded our team dramatically. Experience, leadership, understanding of the game, bite, presence, and quality on the ball. He had it all.

Edited by wilyfox

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

He did ok. 

His first touch is very poor though. Means we’ll give the ball away a lot.

It will be very interesting to see if it was a one off. If Puli doesn’t rate Brown we could see plenty of Dom in midfield.

Yes his touch was a bit wayward. I’d did occur to me that he can trap the ball further than I can kick it!

• Haha 2

I thought he did OK. Made a few Carltonesque surges forwards. Think I’d want to see him in that position for half a dozen games before I could see either way whether his future is there. First touch isn’t great but maybe he wasn’t quite as relaxed with the position being new to him.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Nice idea and we do need power and pace in the midfield, something we’ve lacked for years. But for me Iorfa’s touch isn’t good enough. 

I would have thought Dele-Bashiru is more suited to that role? 

He ought to be, and now that there's an emphasis on carrying the ball forward through central midfield when we break, it's something you'd think he'd have the potential to do since we know that lad has strength (more than he sometimes seems to realize).

Should we find ourselves a couple of goals to the good in a game and coasting maybe we'll see him put in an appearance, but otherwise he doesn't seem to be at the forefront of Pulis' thinking at the moment.

I think we'll need the numbers still, but in an ideal scenario, a January loan move would be great for him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

He ought to be, and now that there's an emphasis on carrying the ball forward through central midfield when we break, it's something you'd think he'd have the potential to do since we know that lad has strength (more than he sometimes seems to realize).

Should we find ourselves a couple of goals to the good in a game and coasting maybe we'll see him put in an appearance, but otherwise he doesn't seem to be at the forefront of Pulis' thinking at the moment.

I think we'll need the numbers still, but in an ideal scenario, a January loan move would be great for him.

Pulis wants pace and I think Dele-Bashiru offers exactly the opposite... always seems to slow the game down when I watch him. Not a bad player but I wouldn't call him dynamic, which is what Pulis likes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

In all of the posts about yesterday’s game something seems to have escaped much discussion. 
The frankly extraordinary sight of Iorfa in midfield. 
To me he looked like the crazy love child of Carlton Palmer and Tom Huddleston. 
After the first 5 mins or so where he ran around like he wasn’t sure what to do he seemed to settle down and was quite influential. He just seemed to be so big and fast. 
Is this the future? 
I have no idea, but it was a magnificent sight and one I am glad I have had opportunity to witness. 

I had him down as MoM yesterday, and I think Pullis will have seen enough yesterday to give Iorfa a run of games in that position. What's more, I think we collapsed when Iorfa left the field.

He did very much remind me of Carlton Palmer running through midfield with the ball, once he'd got his feet in that role. He was immense at shielding the area in front of the CBs also. Iorfa is part of the solution. This is happening...

• Like 2

Thought he looked decent yesterday, certainly gives drive and energy, something we lack in the middle of the park and things went downhill after he went off.

I think Iorfa is still our best CB but the improved form of Lees and Borner means that he wouldn't be the big miss there that he was a few weeks ago.

Based on the above and the distinct lack of other options I'd be happy for Pulis to give him a run of games in midfield.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Binky Griptite said:

Pulis wants pace and I think Dele-Bashiru offers exactly the opposite... always seems to slow the game down when I watch him. Not a bad player but I wouldn't call him dynamic, which is what Pulis likes.

Yeah, I know what you're referring to. I've seen it as well in Dele-Bashiru's performances. It's why I alluded to his strength being greater than he realizes. Thus far we've seen him drift in and out of games, and mostly out; it's frustrating, and though he's only young, it's a clear issue with his game.

I do think though that since Pulis is wanting his central midfielders to be able and willing to carry the ball forward through midfield (in contrast to Monk's focus on making the ball traverse the distance), he might just be able to bring these latent qualities out in Dele-Bashiru.

He's not obviously risen to that challenge yet since he's so far been overlooked.

• Like 1