How many of these Sheffield Wednesday players can you name?

5 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Front row, right hand side 

Garry Monk 

Albert Broadbent...used to manage Eckington at some point...they were short one week and he came on in midfield. I couldn't get the ball from him...he was about 48 at the time. He was the one inspired me to play on until my late 40's...and a top bloke

• Like 2

My abiding memories of that team apart from the Quixall ones are of Norman "chopper" Curtis p[laying against Stanley Matthews and putting him over the railings with a tackle into the kop end of the south terrace. Also of the keeper  McIntosh who a bit later was turning out  for the A team in the Hatchard league away at Stocksbridge Works , he went AWOL and was found propping the bar up in the Miners Arms 🤣.

16 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 16.24.15.jpg

I can give first names without look them up.

Ron, Tom, Dave, Ralph, Norman

Alan, Albert, Roy, Don, Redfern, Albert.  

Seven of them played in the first match I ever saw.  Six for us, and Broadbent was with the opposites (Rotherham).

I'd like to name the ground, as I used to go to loads of away games but I'm stumped.  Might be Wolves or Liverpool.  

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

I'd like to name the ground, as I used to go to loads of away games but I'm stumped.  Might be Wolves or Liverpool.  

I think it's Gigg Lane, Bury, that looks like their main stand where the changing rooms are.

If that is the 1955-56 2nd Division Champions season, on 21st April '56 we won the last away game of the season at Bury 5-2 to clinch the title. We were already promoted by then.

15 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Albert Broadbent...used to manage Eckington at some point...they were short one week and he came on in midfield. I couldn't get the ball from him...he was about 48 at the time. He was the one inspired me to play on until my late 40's...and a top bloke

I will second this.  We played Jonny Quins All Stars at Stannington.  We were all young bucks and I was a pacey, tricky goal scoring striker.  Looked at the old bloke in the middle and thought I would have a heyday.  Never got near him, his positioning, speed of thought and control were outstanding.  If I got too close I realised that he was also made of granite.  Off all the All Stars he made the biggest impression on me.  Played em twice, lost 10-1 each time.

• Like 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"