Are our players useless?

5 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Absolutely fantastic post. Thank you. Gives plenty to think about. Blend and balance is as important as the components. Who do you see as responsible for this Frankenstein’s monster? 

Ultimately, Chansiri.

He appoints the recruitment team, managers, scouts etc. and sets the 'vision' for the club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I wasn't referring to just them - I mean the whole entire squad

Right now we're in the middle of watching their era so as always won't be able to judge their place in history

My take on it -  even though I'm in the middle  of  it and they're current players - is that  this is the worst assembled Championship squad  we've  ever  assembled in our club's history

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8646785.stm

Worse than this squad? Don’t be silly. We lack a striker for sure. Defensively far stronger than the 2010 relegation side. Midfield and wide options much better too. 

If we go down, I will concede this is the worst squad we’ve assembled. But we won’t go down. We will stay up. For sure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I think Reach had a great spell at one point didn't he - smashing goals in from fifty miles out and whipping in amazing crosses from the left

Rhodes - never has kicked on

Moses - I don't understand what he is what he does, or why he's here

Luongo - Was very up and down until his last run of really amazing performances. Before that he was a bit 'meh' and frustrating to watch

Brown - No point getting excited by him. he's the latest Hutchinson. He'll have a good game or two then be out for eight weeks - we can't put together a squad based on that kind of record

FDB - Still needs to show what he can do. We get glimpses but then nothing

That's my take on it - my own personal thoughts - I might be 100% totally completely wrong but its what I see and how I personally call it

All sounds fair to me, especially Brown. How have we ended up shopping in the bargain bucket for seconds? Partly gambling too big on the Premier League Golden Goose and partly FFP nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Worse than this squad? Don’t be silly. We lack a striker for sure. Defensively far stronger than the 2010 relegation side. Midfield and wide options much better too. 

If we go down, I will concede this is the worst squad we’ve assembled. But we won’t go down. We will stay up. For sure. 

The way we capitulated against Luton, Wycombe and Rotherham suggests otherwise 

Pulis will do well to keep us up 

If he can bring in a decent Left back ,quality midfielder and Two forwards he might just scrape staying up 

• Like 1

We’ve got some talented players but some very, very limited ones too.

Bannan, Brown, Iorfa, Luongo, Borner but unfortunately that’s about all we’ve got. Majority of the others are big standard and just haven’t got that cutting edge. Compare to what we had in our peak in CC’s first season with FF, Hooper, Wallace, Joao, Bannan, Lee, Lopez, Loovens, Hunt. They had the ability on the ball and had a cutting edge about them. The standard these lot have got not (that Monk has brought in) just isn’t good enough.

In conclusion, we’re sh.ite.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We'll have said the same things back when we had  that squad

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

I said at the start of the season , our issues are relatively simple.

We play defensive football but have defenders and goalkeepers who make mistakes. Mistakes happen for lots of reasons, but our defence plays on a knife edge due to the fact one goal conceded is usually a killer as we can’t score.

Our goalscoring is hindered by terrible set play attacking, and no pace.  

we could improve by finding a couple of cheap but quick footballers, like Helan and JJ were, to help us. We could improve by getting much better at set plays.

Add to that, on the rare occasions we do perform well and take a lead, we choose to change tactics and defend what we have rather than carry on doing what’s working and get a second. Attack can be the best form of defence. 

Our biggest mistake this season was backing Monk, letting him recruit players to suit his formation and then sacking him 2 months later.

It’s left us with a completely unbalanced squad moving forward.

I think we will stay up but we need to recruit a proper left back, a proper striker and a midfielder in January. All three of these positions were neglected in the summer. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

The goalscoring and striker position is most worrying for me. When we went down in 2010 we at least had Tudgay. He was a very decent striker and play maker and was in good form. Put him in this side and I'd feel better. Windass, Paterson, Rhodes and Kahcunga are all so anonymous. It's quite scary. 

Have to agree. Imagine being the opposition manager. You wouldn’t  worry about stopping those 4. At least on current form. 

1 hour ago, Jim said:

We’ve never played to Rhodes’ strengths. Reach is overrated IMO. Odubajo has been an awful signing and Luongo as good as he is, hasn’t been available enough.

I don’t think the environment is right for FDB at the moment and Brown is just injury prone.

In truth there is not a lot for Pulis to work with at the moment but I have confidence in him to make us more effective before long.

Thanks. All fair comments in my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313
7 minutes ago, robowl4life said:

We’ve got some talented players but some very, very limited ones too.

Bannan, Brown, Iorfa, Luongo, Borner but unfortunately that’s about all we’ve got. Majority of the others are big standard and just haven’t got that cutting edge. Compare to what we had in our peak in CC’s first season with FF, Hooper, Wallace, Joao, Bannan, Lee, Lopez, Loovens, Hunt. They had the ability on the ball and had a cutting edge about them. The standard these lot have got not (that Monk has brought in) just isn’t good enough.

In conclusion, we’re sh.ite.

I’d add Westwood, Palmer, Flint, Lees, Reach and potentially Rhodes as players that Pulis might be able to get a tune out of. So I think we have about a dozen half decent ones.. not as good as 2015-17 but enough to be mid table.

Prior manager hasn’t got much out of a lot of them though. And notice that it’s in the attacking positions where we lack quality because it’s more expensive to do so. Not much wrong with the defensive options

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, Kopparberg said:

We’re playing against some average players in this league and still come off second best. 

Kinda sums it up quite well does that.

I have been thinking along these lines since the start of the season. 
Iorfa and Luongo are pretty much our only assets of any value and most of our players wouldn’t be an upgrade for many championship squads. 
But, that said how many of Preston team would I be desperate to see on our books?

Not many really. They didn’t exactly put us to the sword and we are garbage. 

The championship in general is bereft of quality. 
The gulf between Premier League and Championship is massive. 
So yes, our players are tosh. Pretty much a bottom 6 six side all day long. 
But, the rest of the teams are in the main also poo. 
A shrewd Jan window and we might lift the side considerably by acquiring two or three decent players. 
Strikers (or even at least someone who can shoot) would be nice. 

• Thanks 1