England men's fixtures omdt.

46 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Sounds like the players were not up for this at all, and to be honest I'm not going to criticise them for that.

Multi millionaires an all that, but fancy having to go to Hungary to play more football when all your mates are going on holiday. 

Not sure if serious...

1 hour ago, swfcAH said:

Southgate isn't good enough.

1 hour ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Mr Beige out

Hmmm. I can’t agree with that. This was a nothing game - a game to try things. Southgate tried some things and they didn’t work. It’s better to screw up a nothing game than an important one. 

10 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Hmmm. I can’t agree with that. This was a nothing game - a game to try things. Southgate tried some things and they didn’t work. It’s better to screw up a nothing game than an important one. 

Yeah

I mean he never screws up the important ones does he?

• Like 2

I think an undoubted concern is that he experimented - it was awful and as has been a failing of his all along he did not have the first clue how to change it in our favour

I don't think that performance had one redeeming feature - not one

And thats a worry

• Like 2

as per i watched the first 10 minutes and then turned it off and watched an episode of secret army  ,drooled over juliet  hammond -hill for an hour  then caught the last 10 minutes .......it looked awful what little i saw 

I am not overly fussed, we played poorly in a meaningless game and lost. I don't know what the reaction in Belgium was like after they got battered by Holland the other day. I would like to think they are not panicking. 

4 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Theres mistakes, and then there’s failing every time you get a proper opponent

3 hours ago, swfcAH said:

The fact of the matter is the FAs set a target of winning a trophy before 2030 and so far every time Southgate comes up against a good side in a tournament we lose.

I don’t think he should have a job for life, but in the Euros we did beat Germany and Italy needed a penalty shoot out to get past us.

6 hours ago, Big Malc said:

I don’t think he should have a job for life, but in the Euros we did beat Germany and Italy needed a penalty shoot out to get past us.

The weakest Germany side for some time mind and an Italy side that a few months later were denied a place at the World Cup by North Macedonia! It seemed a pretty weak tournament and i think on reflection we should have won it comfortably with the players we had at our disposal as well as the route to the final. 

Watching England, tactically, It's like Southgate has been given a Ferrari and chooses to tootle about at 20mph for safety. Painful to watch. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scram said:

Not sure if serious...

Sort of serious, but more what @1961OWL says.

A player like TAA, young lad that's played , what , 60 games this season including 3 finals and missing out on the Premier league title and Champions League at the last stage..that has to be mentally draining, never mind physically. 

Last thing I imagine he wanted to do was travel to Hungary to receive racist abuse in a weak tournament. 

Of course, a player can never say no to playing for England, but maybe for a tournament like this Southgate could have picked an experimental squad who would have more to prove and would have been, quite frankly,more up for it.

I'll never forgive the complete disinterest of the England squad in WC2010 in South Africa,  where they simply looked like they resented being on this biggest stage in football, but I can forgive a bunch of players looking out of sorts when having to play in these friendlies after 9 months of a football season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 0742 said:

The weakest Germany side for some time mind and an Italy side that a few months later were denied a place at the World Cup by North Macedonia! It seemed a pretty weak tournament and i think on reflection we should have won it comfortably with the players we had at our disposal as well as the route to the final. 

Watching England, tactically, It's like Southgate has been given a Ferrari and chooses to tootle about at 20mph for safety. Painful to watch. 

Ah, ok I understand.

We’re unable to beat any good sides, but if we do manage to beat any then it’s because they’re no good anymore.

Got it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

Ah, ok I understand.

We’re unable to beat any good sides, but if we do manage to beat any then it’s because they’re no good anymore.

Got it.

Just a conversation and someone else's perspective. Sure you feel better for such a condescending response, as usual! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

Sort of serious, but more what @1961OWL says.

A player like TAA, young lad that's played , what , 60 games this season including 3 finals and missing out on the Premier league title and Champions League at the last stage..that has to be mentally draining, never mind physically. 

Last thing I imagine he wanted to do was travel to Hungary to receive racist abuse in a weak tournament. 

Of course, a player can never say no to playing for England, but maybe for a tournament like this Southgate could have picked an experimental squad who would have more to prove and would have been, quite frankly,more up for it.

I'll never forgive the complete disinterest of the England squad in WC2010 in South Africa,  where they simply looked like they resented being on this biggest stage in football, but I can forgive a bunch of players looking out of sorts when having to play in these friendlies after 9 months of a football season.

TAA was given the option by GS of resting or joining up with the squad immediately, he chose the latter. Henderson was rested due to his age & knowing exactly what he brings to the team. With the absence of old fashioned friendlies to blood new players, when else could we do it, is the question.  Either at tournaments or in qualifying isn’t likely. It was a throw away fixture, & our B team failed. 
No big deal. 

9 hours ago, Big Malc said:

A very, very weak Germany who couldn’t even beat Hungary and only qualified with a late equaliser, got ransacked by France and escaped with a 1-0 defeat and somehow the Portuguese to scored 2 own goals in one of the world’s luckiest victories

Hardly a formidable opponent. The locals were all amazed they got out of the group

14 hours ago, Five Archers said:

What is the point in this competition? Seriously it doesn’t make any sense, season just ended next season disrupted by the World Cup and we go play this. 

I agree, we had the Euros last year and again next year. World cup in 6 months.

We don't need another irrelevant competition. It's just a money making exercise by UEFA, pure and simple. 

For once I have some sympathy for the Premier League players. They're not going to get a proper break.