42 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

He's here.

There's nothing we can do about that. 

Let's hope the assumptions you make about other people's assumptions do come true and we have a good end to the season. 

Great worsmithery M’lud but in the interests of fairness I’m not assuming rather reflecting. Many of our TOWIP friends have assumed in writing in other posts that Pulis is the only man who can save us and that our players are only suited to Charles Hughes football. 

Whether you're for or against Pulis' appointment (and I'm absolutely against it), surely, no-one is under the impression that for whatever reason DC's gone for Pulis this time, it certainly didn't come off the back of a detailed analysis of the capabilities of the playing squad and selecting the best match of their aggregate abilities to the coach best able to get the most out of them?

I'd like to think we have a chairman of such abilities, but we quite clearly don't.

Since the sacking of CC he's gone on CV and CV alone.

How the fanbase tries to rationalize the choice is irrelevant.

Anyway, we're about to find out how this squad can play long ball. If they're not up to it, then let's see how pragmatic Pulis can be. Should he fail to adapt, we'll be relegated.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Great worsmithery M’lud but in the interests of fairness I’m not assuming rather reflecting. Many of our TOWIP friends have assumed in writing in other posts that Pulis is the only man who can save us and that our players are only suited to Charles Hughes football. 

I genuinely don't think I've seen anyone claim that Pulis is the only man that can save us.

• Like 2

Of course there was another significant  factor associated with the long ball game during the 1970s and 1980s which is often overlooked.

The pitches were mudbaths for 3 months of every season. Especially in the lower divisions. 

Knocking the ball about was in many games quite simply game suicide.

Of course, Pulis in many interviews has stated that the coach who had the biggest impact on him as a young coach was Dave Sexton, who as everybody knows was a highly progressive and technical focused  coach.

He was a student of Rinus Michels and the Dutch total football method and was forever in Holland picking up coaching techniques. 

At QPR  and Chelsea he earned a reputation for attacking, techincal stylish football. Where he had a huge influence over future England managers Venables and Hoddle.

Later he was youth director as Lilleshall and helped to produce some household names.

Though, when manager of Manchester United was given the chop for dour football.

Seems there is a difference between coaching and managing. 

Sometimes, you have to put on the boot that fits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Four genuine questions for our TOWIP friends

Why assume that only Tony Pulis can keep us up? Out of all the managers we could realistically have employed?

Why assume that Charles Hughes football is the only style that can keep us up?

Why assume that Charles Hughes football will suit Moses, Iorfa, Borner, Van Aken, Luongo, Bannan, FDB, Brown, Reach, Marriott ? None of whom have probably ever played that way before? 

Whats wrong with wanting to watch your team score goals? 

I find it hard to believe those who will get behind Pulis also think he's the only one could keep us up.

At least half the people on here won't know who Charles Hughes is

At least half the people on here won't know who Charles Hughes is

What's wrong with wanting your defence to be tighter than a nun's badger?

Generally, Pulis isn't everyone's cup of tea beyond that, no one knows what's going to happen and we haven't hoofed a ball yet.

WAWAW 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

Since the sacking of CC he's gone on CV and CV alone

Alan Biggs suggests he’s gone on Paixao and Paixao alone ..... This would worry me due to the likelihood that not only does Paixao have a financial interest in his recruits but also a financial interest in regularly turning over his recruits. 

52 minutes ago, Lunny1968 said:

Couldn't agree more.  The game has moved on from this style of football.  The modern game favours attacking play particularly with the application of the rules by refs.  This appointment does not guarantee anything.

You mean like the attacking stuff Monk had us playing..?

25 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

The now deceased and much  maligned former FA director of coaching.

Often blamed with England never producing any players who could control a ball and cited as the reason long ball coaches were so prominent in the 1980s. 

I grew up playing football on rutted pitches without a blade of grass.

I think that had more to do with my crude “skills” than Charles Hughes.

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 1

So tedious this now - there's no analysis, just dislike of playing style and personality. 

Former Premier League manager of the year, and a good CV. Wouldn't be my first choice but jesus, people were advocating the likes of Duncan Fergason at one point. 

Who would you have preferred out of interest? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Of course there was another significant  factor associated with the long ball game during the 1970s and 1980s

As per usual you are 109% correct m’lud. But if you study Charles Hughes one evening when you are suffering from insomnia, wind, gout or any combination, the theory was based purely on statistical analysis of the mode average of touches per goal 

1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Alan Biggs suggests he’s gone on Paixao and Paixao alone ..... This would worry me due to the likelihood that not only does Paixao have a financial interest in his recruits but also a financial interest in regularly turning over his recruits. 

Paixao wanted Pulis when we appointed Monk last time, so it can't quite be true that DC goes on Paixao every time.

Still, Paixao's influence clearly looms large, and your dead right about the problem of Paixao's impartiality. Certainly, I'm sure Paixao will be very happy should we be particularly active in the January transfer window.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

As per usual you are 109% correct m’lud. But if you study Charles Hughes one evening when you are suffering from insomnia, wind, gout or any combination, the theory was based purely on statistical analysis of the mode average of touches per goal 

Fully aware of Hughes teachings having been through that system. 

However. There are thousands of ways to drill a team. 

He coaches and managers today have infinite resources available to them.  

In the end though managers will find a way they think best suits their charges. 

If it works it works. 

If it doesn't they get sacked. 

9 minutes ago, brando said:

You mean like the attacking stuff Monk had us playing..?

It’s my post so I’m allowed to call Shenanigans on the argument that we were defensive  / boring before therefore it’s ok to be in defensive / boring again. We had the opportunity to go in a different direction

Shenanigans !!!

An ideal fit for us at this time!! A strong character who will weed out the weak and chuck em away and about bloody time too!! We'll get a real togetherness from the squad that's left.. discipline and single mindedness and a pace and power game will develop over time - go for it Tony you've got my vote!!! Let's be nasty buggers for a while!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1