5 hours ago, Lunny1968 said:

Couldn't agree more.  The game has moved on from this style of football.  The modern game favours attacking play particularly with the application of the rules by refs.  This appointment does not guarantee anything.

It does it brings on deep sleep.

8 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Charles Hughes’ theories were behind the highly entertaining Wilko ‘80s team which gave us some great moments as Owls fans. We just battered some teams with the direct approach with Cunningham Bannister early on and later with combos like Chapman - Shutt - Garry Thompson. What would you give these days for comfortable 2-0 victories at Anfield and Old Trafford?

I’ll not hear a word said against him.

RIP Charles - you’ll be seeing a lot of the ball up on them clouds!

The aim of football is to win.  Hughes/Wilko found a way to use the players to win.  You're right it was great watching Mel Sterland/Lyons etc putting fear into the opposition AND scoring goals. Great hearing other fans moaning about our style/fitness/strength. Teams were frightened of us, it was great.  For most of the last 25 years teams (including the likes of Hartlepool, Stevenage and Exeter) have seen us as a soft touch and I've hated it.

If Pulis can recreate that 80's feeling and avoid relegation (which would be a disaster of epic proportions) I'll be happy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Four genuine questions for our TOWIP friends

Why assume that only Tony Pulis can keep us up? Out of all the managers we could realistically have employed?

Why assume that Charles Hughes football is the only style that can keep us up?

Why assume that Charles Hughes football will suit Moses, Iorfa, Borner, Van Aken, Luongo, Bannan, FDB, Brown, Reach, Marriott ? None of whom have probably ever played that way before? 

Whats wrong with wanting to watch your team score goals? 

If you will indulge me not answering all your questions, I would like to give my viewpoint:

Firstly, I am not one of the TOWIP people you refer to as I believe that many managers would be good enough to get us out of trouble.  Pulis wouldn't have been my first choice but he is our manager now so I'll get behind him because I want us to be a success.  

Secondly, I am in no doubt that the football isn't going to glorious, free-flowing and beautiful but I am wise enough to see that our team needs organising and given an identity (even if that identity is "long ball") because we are wishy-washy and neither here nor there at the moment.  I would love to see the swashbuckling football of Ron Atkinson but we need structure and steel at the moment and Pulis can give us that.  

Finally, the great irony about how some people are showing their displeasure that Pulis has been appointed is that two of our most popular managers in the last twenty years in Paul Sturrock and Gary Megson, played bloody turgid football that was straight out of the Pulis manual yet Sturrock is referred to as "King" Paul Sturrock and Megson has his own cult and is remembered fondly for making our team tough, workmanlike and hard to beat.  People ought to have a think about it.  

I just think that doubters ought to stop moaning now and give Pulis a chance to change their minds.  The problem is that the internet isn't a place where people rarely do change their mind.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lunny1968 said:

Couldn't agree more.  The game has moved on from this style of football.  The modern game favours attacking play particularly with the application of the rules by refs.  This appointment does not guarantee anything.

No appointment guarantees anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

If you will indulge me not answering all your questions, I would like to give my viewpoint:

Firstly, I am not one of the TOWIP people you refer to as I believe that many managers would be good enough to get us out of trouble.  Pulis wouldn't have been my first choice but he is our manager now so I'll get behind him because I want us to be a success.  

Secondly, I am in no doubt that the football isn't going to glorious, free-flowing and beautiful but I am wise enough to see that our team needs organising and given an identity (even if that identity is "long ball") because we are wishy-washy and neither here nor there at the moment.  I would love to see the swashbuckling football of Ron Atkinson but we need structure and steel at the moment and Pulis can give us that.  

Finally, the great irony about how some people are showing their displeasure that Pulis has been appointed is that two of our most popular managers in the last twenty years in Paul Sturrock and Gary Megson, played bloody turgid football that was straight out of the Pulis manual yet Sturrock is referred to as "King" Paul Sturrock and Megson has his own cult and is remembered fondly for making our team tough, workmanlike and hard to beat.  People ought to have a think about it.  

I just think that doubters ought to stop moaning now and give Pulis a chance to change their minds.  The problem is that the internet isn't a place where people rarely do change their mind.  

Terrific post. Logical arguments.

Only comment from me is that although Sturrock and Megson were undoubtedly  long ball managers I don’t personally believe they were defensive managers. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Terrific post. Logical arguments.

Only comment from me is that although Sturrock and Megson were undoubtedly  long ball managers I don’t personally believe they were defensive managers. 

Maybe not Megson but Sturrock was defensive.  I can remember watching our side under Sturrock and thinking how bloody awful and negative it was but not being bothered about it in that promotion season.  The following  season and a bit in the Championship was a bloody hard watch.  

In our pickle we need winning football.

Pulis has a history of delivering that.

He's also got a wealth of experience, which means he'll be able to cope with what ever problems arise.

Of the managers who're available - and would come here - he's the safest pair of hands we could have got.

21 hours ago, Lunny1968 said:

And yet Colin was labelled a dinosaur, and he recently got Cardiff up cheaply.

And he's doing OK with bonny 'Boro too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shandypants said:

Great post mate and agree totally. Not who I would have wanted but probably the best equipped of those available to do what’s needed

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

And yet Colin was labelled a dinosaur, and he recently got Cardiff up cheaply.

And he's doing OK with bonny 'Boro too.

And yet there’s lots that wanted Colin because he gets teams up. But can’t keep them up. Pulis not only took stoke up he kept them up got them to an fa cup final and Europe. He has a history of keeping average clubs up and that is what we need. Let him steady the ship then worry about the rest. Because at this moment good old Garry has got his pissthisleague well and truly stuck on the rocks

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Plonk said:

And yet there’s lots that wanted Colin because he gets teams up. But can’t keep them up. Pulis not only took stoke up he kept them up got them to an fa cup final and Europe. He has a history of keeping average clubs up and that is what we need. Let him steady the ship then worry about the rest. Because at this moment good old Garry has got his pissthisleague well and truly stuck on the rocks

Spot on.