7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I didn't choose the manager, I would probably have chosen someone else but I am not going to throw my toys out of the pram and stop supporting the club. I will give him a chance to turn things around, just as I did Monk initially, and Pulis is a better manager than Monk.

Got any more alternative titles for threads planned to continue your tirade?

Is Charles Hughes a contemporary reference?

Tirade - a long, angry speech of criticism or accusation. I merely asked 4 reasonable questions. I’m certainly not angry or accusing

Charles Hughes wrote the FA Coaches Technical Manual and designed the course content for the coaching badges and examinations at the time Pulis qualified as a coach. His documentation and articulation of what became known as “long ball” is 

seminal (strongly influencing later developments) I don’t have a more contemporary reference but if you do then please feel free to refer. 

32 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

I can't remember the last time we appointed a manager who the majority of the fanbase was happy with. Megson? Didn't turn out too well.

My own personal opinion is that with the managers available I think Pulis has the best experience in keeping us up based on experience and win %. It may not be pretty but neither are we.

My worry is, whilst I would hope most of the fanbase would hope for the best regardless of the appointment and their view it will only take a couple of defeats before some fans are on his back whereas other appointments such as Cook, Lowe, Howe may have been given a bit more of the benefit of the doubt.

Time will tell, as I mentioned on another thread; am I ecstatic about his appointment? No. Do I think he will take us up the table? Yes

I do think Pulis style of play means fans are more likely to get on his back quickly. It's the kind of football that needs to get results to keep fans onboard.

Personally I've made my thoughts on Pulis clear but I'll give him time and won't be jumping on his back after a couple of bad results. We know exactly what he offers and we have to judge him on that basis. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Tirade - a long, angry speech of criticism or accusation. I merely asked 4 reasonable questions. I’m certainly not angry or accusing

Charles Hughes wrote the FA Coaches Technical Manual and designed the course content for the coaching badges and examinations at the time Pulis qualified as a coach. His documentation and articulation of what became known as “long ball” is 

seminal (strongly influencing later developments) I don’t have a more contemporary reference but if you do then please feel free to refer. 

Tirade - how many threads have you started and posts have you made since he was appointed. I thought you had given up on us anyway?

Plenty of people don't know and don't care who Charles Hughes is, by reference that doesn't mean Pulis is outdated, he has done decent jobs recently.

Who are all these fans you assume believe that Pulis is the only option we had and why didn't you debate this by replying to their posts rather than start another thread of your own? 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Tirade - how many threads have you started and posts have you made since he was appointed. I thought you had given up on us anyway?

Plenty of people don't know and don't care who Charles Hughes is, by reference that doesn't mean Pulis is outdated, he has done decent jobs recently.

Who are all these fans you assume believe that Pulis is the only option we had and why didn't you debate this by replying to their posts rather than start another thread of your own? 

I’m sorry. If I’d realised you were the thread police I would’ve applied in writing in triplicate for your permission. Lesson learned

8795997C-0D1B-4AC9-AA79-0F1DB32220DD.jpeg

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

He isn’t. He’s one of several. He is one of the most likely of the candidates to keep us up. Several were more of a gamble. I don’t want us to gamble this season of all seasons. Football is in a terrible financial mess and L1 will be a dangerous place next season.

It isn’t. But if it’s what we get from the guy who is highly likely to keep us up it’s fine by me.

Because it’s worked in every squad Pulis has gone into. A better question would be to you...why do you think our players will be the exception?

We haven’t been scoring goals.

We scored 22 in 22 (including 3 goals twice) from Jan.

Then 6 in 11 this season.

We scored 58 in 19/20 overall.

We scored 60 in 18/19

We scored 59 in 17/18

Pulis teams average 55 in the Championship. We won’t notice a difference.

We haven’t been prolific scorers for a while. Even in Carlos’ first season where we played attractive attacking football we only scored 66.

Any success we have had is when we’ve been strong defensively and we’re going to be have to be strong defensively if we’re to stay up this season.

There are other candidates out there of course but for where we are now Pulis is probably the best candidate out there but like any appointment it’ll either be a successful one or not?

• Like 1

Guest whowantstoberich
49 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Fair and constructive post although Lowe has 2 promotions on the last 2 years and Cook has promotions and league wins more recently than Pulis. 

To answer your question I was personally delighted with the appointment of both Megson and Bruce. Megson made me proud to be a Wednesday fan again. I believe if Bruce had stayed he would have got us promoted. 

I think you are suggesting they are both favour direct football like TP (apologies if I’ve misread that). I agree that they are but the difference I see is that they are attacking managers who set their teams up to win and score goals. Pulis is reputed to be a defensive manager who’s game plan is to defend the penalty area if and when his team score first even if that goal comes in the first minute. 

Well that sounds like a good plan to me, and think of all the extra points we may have had we have done that recently.

Makes me laugh,i watch Premier League highlights each week, & regularly see the pundits drooling about 'direct' football. inch perfect passes that dissect the defense of their opponents,its what happens afterwards thats the key....In our case very little...

The quality of the Premier often means such leads to a goal,or a goal scoring chance.(and thats what Hughes philosophy was all about) rather than waste time and multiple passes to get to the same place.

Its a triumph of style over substance,& to imagine any manager coming in here to reproduce 'Real Madrid' out of what we have is pure fantasy stuff....

Long ball,if done correctly puts the emphasis on opponents to defend,underpinned by multiple throw in's,free kicks & corners given away.(which in,and of themselves can lead to more goal scoring chances)

I want to see the ball in the opponents third,and into the box to our players as quickly,and as often as possible.Why? because as Hughes dictated that is where we have the most chance of scoring a goal(statistically)..

• Like 1

I've posted before that TP would not have been my choice.

However if It was my personal investment at stake I may have been more inclined to employ a perceived safer pair of hands.

Anyway for now he will have my support. 

I've seen fans saying that they are done with Wednesday now TP is in charge. Bet they'll still want tickets if he gets us to the playoffs next season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Four genuine questions for our TOWIP friends

Why assume that only Tony Pulis can keep us up? Out of all the managers we could realistically have employed?

Why assume that Charles Hughes football is the only style that can keep us up?

Why assume that Charles Hughes football will suit Moses, Iorfa, Borner, Van Aken, Luongo, Bannan, FDB, Brown, Reach, Marriott ? None of whom have probably ever played that way before? 

Whats wrong with wanting to watch your team score goals? 

TP is the only bloke that can keep us up 

Hes the manager 

• Like 1