Charles Hughes’ theories were behind the highly entertaining Wilko ‘80s team which gave us some great moments as Owls fans. We just battered some teams with the direct approach with Cunningham Bannister early on and later with combos like Chapman - Shutt - Garry Thompson. What would you give these days for comfortable 2-0 victories at Anfield and Old Trafford?

I’ll not hear a word said against him.

RIP Charles - you’ll be seeing a lot of the ball up on them clouds!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with that

I think any new manager, particularly in our predicament, is always going to divide the fans who each have their own idea of what is needed.

For example, had we employed Cook a different set of fans would be arguing why we are taking a punt on a man that has never (regardless of the points penalty) kept a team in the Championship.

For example, had we employed Megson, people would be arguing we've gone full circle or plan to go full circle from 10 years ago.

For example, had we employed Lowe, people would have been arguing about lack of Championship experience needed to keep us up.

For example, had we have convinced Pearson to manage us, people would be worried about him upsetting the whole squad and falling out with DC within months.

If we'd gone for Bilint or any other foreign name, we would be reminded of Carlos and Jos and their lack of EFL experience is an absolute no go.

I'd say, the greater good is to go for a safe pair of hands in Pulis who is the most similar to our only recent successful appointment in Steve Bruce. If we can stabilise on a low budget until we have fixed the P&S FFP issues then perhaps we can make a more popular appointment. Even then, that decision will be of scale and there will always be people who don't like whoever that may be.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

So tedious this now - there's no analysis, just dislike of playing style and personality. 

Former Premier League manager of the year, and a good CV. Wouldn't be my first choice but jesus, people were advocating the likes of Duncan Fergason at one point. 

Who would you have preferred out of interest? 

Hope this isn’t aimed at me. I have made no comments on the personality of TP or for that matter any other manager. I don’t know TP and certainly don’t dislike him. Neither do I support or condone personal comments on social media. 

To answer your question. I would’ve preferred Cook, Lowe, Pearson to TP based on recent experience and playing style. My personal opinion is that it shows a lack of due diligence from DC not to have interviewed Cook and asked for permission to speak to Lowe as they are statistically 2 of the best lower league managers who may have been able to step up and take us in a different direction to Monk. 

19 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Charles Hughes’ theories were behind the highly entertaining Wilko ‘80s team which gave us some great moments as Owls fans. We just battered some teams with the direct approach with Cunningham Bannister early on and later with combos like Chapman - Shutt - Garry Thompson. What would you give these days for comfortable 2-0 victories at Anfield and Old Trafford?

I’ll not hear a word said against him.

RIP Charles - you’ll be seeing a lot of the ball up on them clouds!

Comfortable!?

Im sure that 40 minutes defending the 2-0 lead at Anfield is the cause of my high blood pressure 35 years later.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

I think any new manager, particularly in our predicament, is always going to divide the fans who each have their own idea of what is needed.

For example, had we employed Cook a different set of fans would be arguing why we are taking a punt on a man that has never (regardless of the points penalty) kept a team in the Championship.

For example, had we employed Megson, people would be arguing we've gone full circle or plan to go full circle from 10 years ago.

For example, had we employed Lowe, people would have been arguing about lack of Championship experience needed to keep us up.

For example, had we have convinced Pearson to manage us, people would be worried about him upsetting the whole squad and falling out with DC within months.

If we'd gone for Bilint or any other foreign name, we would be reminded of Carlos and Jos and their lack of EFL experience is an absolute no go.

I'd say, the greater good is to go for a safe pair of hands in Pulis who is the most similar to our only recent successful appointment in Steve Bruce. If we can stabilise on a low budget until we have fixed the P&S FFP issues then perhaps we can make a more popular appointment. Even then, that decision will be of scale and there will always be people who don't like whoever that may be.

Wise words Mystic. Games all about opinions. My post was merely trying to better understand the written assumptions made in other posts by other posters that TOWIP. 

I can't remember the last time we appointed a manager who the majority of the fanbase was happy with. Megson? Didn't turn out too well.

My own personal opinion is that with the managers available I think Pulis has the best experience in keeping us up based on experience and win %. It may not be pretty but neither are we.

My worry is, whilst I would hope most of the fanbase would hope for the best regardless of the appointment and their view it will only take a couple of defeats before some fans are on his back whereas other appointments such as Cook, Lowe, Howe may have been given a bit more of the benefit of the doubt.

Time will tell, as I mentioned on another thread; am I ecstatic about his appointment? No. Do I think he will take us up the table? Yes

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Wise words Mystic. Games all about opinions. My post was merely trying to better understand the written assumptions made in other posts by other posters that TOWIP. 

Very easy for people now, me included, to be very black and white about things and not budge.

My instant reaction on Pulis was FFS! However, after a bit of time I could understand the decision and make an argument for why he was appointed.

I was in fairness probably ready to bash DC some more because I'm not ashamed of raising my concerns about his levels of competence!

Bottom line, short term, if we stay up the decision to get Pulis in is somewhat vindicated. I have more concerns about the direction the club is going in beyond this season under Chansiri.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Hope this isn’t aimed at me. I have made no comments on the personality of TP or for that matter any other manager. I don’t know TP and certainly don’t dislike him. Neither do I support or condone personal comments on social media. 

To answer your question. I would’ve preferred Cook, Lowe, Pearson to TP based on recent experience and playing style. My personal opinion is that it shows a lack of due diligence from DC not to have interviewed Cook and asked for permission to speak to Lowe as they are statistically 2 of the best lower league managers who may have been able to step up and take us in a different direction to Monk. 

OK fair enough - what did you think of the appointment of Steve Bruce? Or Gary Megson going further back? 

Pearson has a similar record to Pulis. Cook has never finished higher than midtable and Lowe is only just starting his managerial career. 

FWIW I'd have taken Cook and Pearson before Pulis, but the dummy spitting about a manager that has a record of relative success, and at a higher level, is embarrassing imo. 

I think Pulis has got what Carlos had in terms of being able to handle the expectation of the club, he doesn't seem to get fazed, which I think has a lot to do with success with us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Four genuine questions for our TOWIP friends

Why assume that only Tony Pulis can keep us up? Out of all the managers we could realistically have employed?

Why assume that Charles Hughes football is the only style that can keep us up?

Why assume that Charles Hughes football will suit Moses, Iorfa, Borner, Van Aken, Luongo, Bannan, FDB, Brown, Reach, Marriott ? None of whom have probably ever played that way before? 

Whats wrong with wanting to watch your team score goals? 

I didn't choose the manager, I would probably have chosen someone else but I am not going to throw my toys out of the pram and stop supporting the club. I will give him a chance to turn things around, just as I did Monk initially, and Pulis is a better manager than Monk.

Got any more alternative titles for threads planned to continue your tirade?

Is Charles Hughes a contemporary reference?

5 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

OK fair enough - what did you think of the appointment of Steve Bruce? Or Gary Megson going further back? 

Pearson has a similar record to Pulis. Cook has never finished higher than midtable and Lowe is only just starting his managerial career. 

FWIW I'd have taken Cook and Pearson before Pulis, but the dummy spitting about a manager that has a record of relative success, and at a higher level, is embarrassing imo. 

I think Pulis has got what Carlos had in terms of being able to handle the expectation of the club, he doesn't seem to get fazed, which I think has a lot to do with success with us.

Fair and constructive post although Lowe has 2 promotions on the last 2 years and Cook has promotions and league wins more recently than Pulis. 

To answer your question I was personally delighted with the appointment of both Megson and Bruce. Megson made me proud to be a Wednesday fan again. I believe if Bruce had stayed he would have got us promoted. 

I think you are suggesting they are both favour direct football like TP (apologies if I’ve misread that). I agree that they are but the difference I see is that they are attacking managers who set their teams up to win and score goals. Pulis is reputed to be a defensive manager who’s game plan is to defend the penalty area if and when his team score first even if that goal comes in the first minute. 

• Like 2