ABP- Anyone But Pulis.

1 minute ago, Carbone said:

Look where we are in the table and the group of players we have. If a manager came in and tried to play free flowing attacking football, we’d finish bottom. I just think it’s very unrealistic to suggest we should be trying to get a manager who will wow us with an amazing style. We are nowhere near that with the players we have.

but you’re talking about extremes here, we’re not talking about Guardiola, or Klopp wowing us with amazing football. They are at one extreme, Pulis is at the other, surely we can find someone competent enough to keep us up, while playing entertaining football. Entertaining football isn’t the preserve of Man City and Liverpool, most of the sides in the top two divisions are capable of playing entertaining football We don’t need to turn to such outdated methods to stay in the division

• Like 1

Pulis is way past sell by date. He has long since been rumbled and his tactics are extreme which mean club is in a real mess when he gets fired.

I do not want Pulis but he is one of a few gems on betting list who should not even be given a second thought.

Neville, Campbell, are other laughable suggestions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

but you’re talking about extremes here, we’re not talking about Guardiola, or Klopp wowing us with amazing football. They are at one extreme, Pulis is at the other, surely we can find someone competent enough to keep us up, while playing entertaining football. Entertaining football isn’t the preserve of Man City and Liverpool, most of the sides in the top two divisions are capable of playing entertaining football We don’t need to turn to such outdated methods to stay in the division

We can’t score goals, and I think that’s more to do with the group of players we have than anything else. I don’t think this group of players can produce a style of play that is attractive as well as effective, but we could have a manager who would make us effective and hard to beat. Entertaining football isn’t going to happen with this squad, and I think if we tried what anyone here would refer to as entertaining football with these players, we’ll be in League One next season. 

Pulis wouldn’t be one of my choices, but I recognise what he brings to the table - it’s effective, and that’s what we need. I think it’s fantasy talk the idea that a manager could transform this squad into anything that’s even a slightly attractive style. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Quist said:

Pulis is way past sell by date. He has long since been rumbled and his tactics are extreme which mean club is in a real mess when he gets fired.

I do not want Pulis but he is one of a few gems on betting list who should not even be given a second thought.

Neville, Campbell, are other laughable suggestions.

Pretty much everyone said the same about Mourinho. It’s working out alright for him at Spurs now. Just because a manager is written off for a couple of bad spells, it doesn’t throw away everything they’ve achieved before 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carbone said:

We can’t score goals, and I think that’s more to do with the group of players we have than anything else. I don’t think this group of players can produce a style of play that is attractive as well as effective, but we could have a manager who would make us effective and hard to beat. Entertaining football isn’t going to happen with this squad, and I think if we tried what anyone here would refer to as entertaining football with these players, we’ll be in League One next season. 

Pulis wouldn’t be one of my choices, but I recognise what he brings to the table - it’s effective, and that’s what we need. I think it’s fantasy talk the idea that a manager could transform this squad into anything that’s even a slightly attractive style. 

Fair enough, I too know what Pulis brings to the table, and yes it can be effective, but what happens after? He’s thought of as a relegation troubleshooter, someone who can get a side organised enough to grind out the points that gives you a chance of avoiding the drop. With 35 games to play, I don’t think we’ll be in that position. 
Surprisingly, I’m not as pessimistic about what we can achieve with this squad. Add a left back, and a centre forward, and that’s a mid table squad, at least. 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Fair enough, I too know what Pulis brings to the table, and yes it can be effective, but what happens after? He’s thought of as a relegation troubleshooter, someone who can get a side organised enough to grind out the points that gives you a chance of avoiding the drop. With 35 games to play, I don’t think we’ll be in that position. 
Surprisingly, I’m not as pessimistic about what we can achieve with this squad. Add a left back, and a centre forward, and that’s a mid table squad, at least. 

I hope you’re right about the squad over me mate!

And it’s a fair point about continuity, I agree with that. Clubs have struggled after the likes of Pulis and Allardyce. However, Stoke actually did pretty well after him with Mark Hughes initially and finished 9th 3 seasons in a row and looked a lot better - it went wrong after that for them and not because of Pulis. Would be up to the club to get it right after his job is done here 

2 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

People on here are complaining.

But i've heard a lot more people at Hillsbrough shouting 'GEEEERRRIT FOOOORRRRRAAARD'

Yep, often moans and groans if a player passes backwards.

Easy to forget but we only represent a very small proportion of our fans.

We say 'anyone but Pulis' everytime this merry go round starts spinning. When we end up with 'anyone but Pulis' how does it work out? Maybe time to admit that repeating the same behaviour and expecting a different result is the definition of stupidity. Employing Pulis would achieve 2 things 1) get us higher up the table than we could ever have dreamed under Monk, and 2) give the arm chair moaners something to get their teeth into instead of getting fully behind their club. Happy days.

Edited by marble
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’ve been a big advocate of us going down a long term plan approach next summer by looking for a manager who plays a progressive and attractive style of football.

I don’t think we can look at this type of candidate at this moment. Too much of a risk and with this shoddy group of players, especially in attacking areas.

Id only go for Pulis if it was a short term appointment until the end of the season. Would he take it, I.e. salary plus bonus on keeping us up? Not sure, he may want a longer term deal. 

We are where we are at the moment. The recruitment has been shocking and we are in a regelation dogfight this season and we can’t afford to go down. It can’t happen under any circumstances.

I want a long term plan in place from next season but dont expect it under DC. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl

22 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I’ve been a big advocate of us going down a long term plan approach next summer by looking for a manager who plays a progressive and attractive style of football.

I don’t think we can look at this type of candidate at this moment. Too much of a risk and with this shoddy group of players, especially in attacking areas.

Id only go for Pulis if it was a short term appointment until the end of the season. Would he take it, I.e. salary plus bonus on keeping us up? Not sure, he may want a longer term deal. 

We are where we are at the moment. The recruitment has been shocking and we are in a regelation dogfight this season and we can’t afford to go down. It can’t happen under any circumstances.

I want a long term plan in place from next season but dont expect it under DC. 

The worry is, we were stupid enough to appoint Monk, who dismantled a side, who less than a year ago, were sat in the play off positions, and sent us hurtling towards relegation. His tactics, and signings, were a complete embarrassment Will we make a similar mistake by appointing that footballing Luddite Pulis? If we do, it will set us back years.

Edited by gurujuan

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The worry is, we were stupid enough to appoint Monk, who dismantled a side, who less than a year ago, were sat in the play off positions, and sent us hurtling towards relegation. His tactics, and signings, were a complete embarrassment Will we make a similar mistake by appointing that footballing Luddite Pulis? If we do, it will set us back years.

By the way, I’m not a Pulis fan whatsoever but we need to stay up this season. I’m confident he would keep us up. I would only be interested in a deal until the end of the season. If not, it’s a total non-starter as I want a long term plan playing an exciting and attacking brand of football from next season. 

I honestly think we are in a relegation dogfight regardless who we bring in. Those attacking options are league 1 level. It’s quite frankly horrendous. 

This is what happens to Clubs when their is no structure or plans in place. We are in a complete mess at the moment. The Chairman is completely out of his depth. 

16 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

By the way, I’m not a Pulis fan whatsoever but we need to stay up this season. I’m confident he would keep us up. I would only be interested in a deal until the end of the season. If not, it’s a total non-starter as I want a long term plan playing an exciting and attacking brand of football from next season. 

I honestly think we are in a relegation dogfight regardless who we bring in. Those attacking options are league 1 level. It’s quite frankly horrendous. 

This is what happens to Clubs when their is no structure or plans in place. We are in a complete mess at the moment. The Chairman is completely out of his depth. 

Making you right about those attacking options, they are not good. That’s why we can’t bring in another archaic manager, who will only add more of that dross. Any half decent manager, could with 2 or 3 strategic signings, have this squad in mid table We don’t yet need to resort to such extreme measures, in my opinion

Edited by gurujuan