SWFC - what a mess!!

6 minutes ago, TrueOwl said:

Saudi Arabia are in the market for an English football club, that's a positive. Kinda. We've got to be on that short list.

Would anybody give up booze at half-time for unlimited investment?

Edited by TrueOwl

3 hours ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

Ridsdale, Bates, cellino and GFH were all very different to Chansiri. 

Leeds fan's mobilised against Bates and cellino.  Thousands marched from town center to the ground (a march I was on) and many many other protests and actions designed to bleed them out or make them feel unwelcome.  There is only so much you can do but I am quite surprised you think we stood for Bates as you put it 

Our supporters club was in a war with Bates, one which had Bates using PIs to try get the leaders of the supporters club locked up. He would stop at nothing. 

Ken hatedus, we hated him and we fought. He was a disgrace to football

Advertisements were bought round the city... One even tight outside main entrance 😀

As I say... I am very surprised you havnt seen anything of this... It was a long drawn out battle, an ugly one but as fans for the sake of our club we felt we had to fight. 

Chansiri is different but as somebody with some experience of bad owners, I can see Chansiri is lacking a mockery of an English, Yorkshire club and is leafing you into big Big trouble very possibly. 

An owner is not your club. 

As Bielsa recently said.... The only people that truly matter are the fans. 

'War'

'Long drawn out' and 'Ugly battle'

'March'

'We had to fight'

= A couple of advertisement boards and a two mileish walk by a small portion of the fanbase. Which as admitted made no difference due to there being 'only so much you can do'.

Think I will just let it play out.

18 minutes ago, Salli said:

'War'

'Long drawn out' and 'Ugly battle'

'March'

'We had to fight'

= A couple of advertisement boards and a two mileish walk by a small portion of the fanbase. Which as admitted made no difference due to there being 'only so much you can do'.

Think I will just let it play out.

Honestly, not wishing to get into any kind of argument but you have no idea what happened over a prolonged period of time regards our fan base and our dodgy owners.  

It was indeed very ugly, people want to be talking about the great football they just watched, not being in a war with an owner.  Whatever you say we were at war with Bates and he was at war with Leeds fans(or 'the Morons' as he literally called us in the programme notes on various occasions).

The small snippets I posted above were a fraction of the ongoing varying protests and counter action by the terrible owners we endured.  I wouldnt wish Bates on Man U.

As you know, getting several thousand (police said approx 5k) people to march and from town centre to the ground at a point where you are facing low attendance and general disillusionment with the club is quite some achievement and it was far from the only occasion or action taken.   Most fans want to be in the boozer pre match and then get on to the game.   The head of the Leeds Supporters Club lost his job thanks to Bate's meddling private investigators.

Sometimes, you have to realise fans....be it Leeds or Sheffield Weds fans are what counts in football.  Dodgy owners and American meddling in our game at the highest level are the real enemy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Allen called the Wednesday supporters group 'Cretins' on TV but I think calling it a war would have been dramatizing things somewhat.

As you say, most fans just wish to go to the pub with their mates and then watch some blokes kick a ball about. Which is good because we are all powerless.

Edited by Salli

4 minutes ago, Salli said:

Dave Allen called the Wednesday supporters group 'Cretins' on TV but I think calling it a war would have been dramatizing things somewhat.

As you say, most fans just wish to go to the pub with their mates and then watch some blokes kick a ball about. Which is good because we are all powerless.

Id say our 'war' was a little more substantial, it went on over several years and I am honestly amazed fans just down the road have not read anything at all about some of the ridiculous 'goings on' related to it.

It really was fans v owner.  

On 26/10/2020 at 00:42, victorturner said:

After the Huddersfield loos was the time

Yes.

The game against Hull was a free shot.

They were better than us, and if they turned up on the day - which they did - then in all likelihood they would win.

And if Brighton hadn't had so many injuries, then we probably would never have got to the final in the first place.

But it was a bad thing in a way, because it meant that Carlos had already got one play-off defeat under his belt when the real chance came a year later.

Huddersfield was the opportunity, until ill fortune struck and robbed us of Hooper.

The "great leveller" dismal Dom Howson called it, the one player we didn't have a replacement for.

He allowed us to play defensively AND create chances.

So Carlos had a choice; play defensively and create little, or go on all-out attack and expose our relatively weak defence.

He chose the former, and it didn't work.

There's a hangover after two consecutive play-off defeats, and ditching the manager is the only cure.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes.

The game against Hull was a free shot.

They were better than us, and if they turned up on the day - which they did - then in all likelihood they would win.

And if Brighton hadn't had so many injuries, then we probably would never have got to the final in the first place.

But it was a bad thing in a way, because it meant that Carlos had already got one play-off defeat under his belt when the real chance came a year later.

Huddersfield was the opportunity, until ill fortune struck and robbed us of Hooper.

The "great leveller" dismal Dom Howson called it, the one player we didn't have a replacement for.

He allowed us to play defensively AND create chances.

So Carlos had a choice; play defensively and create little, or go on all-out attack and expose our relatively weak defence.

He chose the former, and it didn't work.

There's a hangover after two consecutive play-off defeats, and ditching the manager is the only cure.

Also the thing is if you remember is that Huddersfield's GK got injured before the first game and a young inexperienced one replaced him and we never tested him much, not even early on. That semi final should have been nearly won in the first game.

• Like 3

On 25/10/2020 at 22:54, TaxiMark said:

Second season we may have finished 4th but no way was I as confident as the previous season, it's was quite strange really Carlos seemed to go into a shell a bit and be very negative, and yes we did grind out results but we failed in what was a very poor bunch of four sides in the Play offs.

Carlos should have walked straight after that match....another mistake by Chansiri, and let's face it he's sending us down.

That’s still what most people would consider a decent season though isn’t it?

Most of us would be delighted with a 4th place this season, however it happened.

• Like 1

I look round this division, and see Managers and squads that cost much less than ours able to raise their game and deliver a performance.

I then look at morose Monk and our flaccid and dysfunctional performances, and think wtf are we paying this guy for ? 

No home wins since last Xmas. Awful to watch. What's the point ? Gamble on someone with potential, as Monk has none, and is taking us down without a fight anyway.

Just now, Spookone said:

To be honest I had no idea we had managed 25 points, things are a little more positive than I thought. 

Away form helps a tad 

But that would be roughly 40 points over a season.

So its worse than relegation standard

14 hours ago, Spookone said:

That’s still what most people would consider a decent season though isn’t it?

Most of us would be delighted with a 4th place this season, however it happened.

True but for some reason a lot of people saw cracks including me ...those cracks got bigger and bigger and fast forward 4 years and we are -4 points bottom of the league same owner who hasn't a clue and we will be playing Salford next year if they go up.

On 25/10/2020 at 19:14, Sergeant Tibbs said:

The season that CC left saw the club ravaged by injury, mainly due to poor fitness management. 
It’s highly unlikely that CC would have taken us up, his magic and charm had worn off and he had lost the plot.

He’d had his chance: playing negatively in the play offs against a team we’d beaten 4 times on the trot turned out to be tactical disaster, not preparing his team for a local derby ensured he lost a lot of the fan base, me included. 

Although I’m not sure Carlos wasted money - did he want Rhodes ? 

Why he / the club didn’t find a replacement for Loovens is another unsolvable mystery.

Poor fitness management. A myth of the CC era; we’ve had crippling injuries since for 40 odd years.