It's all down to Monk now.

17 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Objectivity is all well and good, but saying one thing and then contradicting it never ends well does it. 

The teams performances in the second half of last season would lead to the dismissal of many a manager. 

But as most fans who follow Wednesday know, there has been plenty going on in the background. The points deduction actually gives the playing squad sharp focus and little room for error. 

As the owner has effectively backed the manager in the short term, it seems folly  for so called fans to be calling for his  head 5 games in, particularly when there have been positive signs on the pitch.

I agree but folly or not each fan, every fan, deserves to have an outlet for their own perspective 

I've always said first 10 games judge our manager. See where we are. There are those that disagree. I just think the "prove this prove that" nature of discussing our club isn't helping on either side of the fence

29 minutes ago, parajack said:

I havnt asked him to prove anything,or anyone else for that matter,apart from their own credibility.....Constant barrages of monk,this that & the other,barrages of meaningless statistics proving nothing.Emilienko said people had responded to my request to show me that they had always thought monk a poor manager by posting such proof,but that i had ignored it.

I refuted this,and asked him to cut & paste said posts.......thats it....I and others,have repeatedly appealed for last season to be left in the history books,where it belongs,& to focus and concentrate on this season.

The threads & posts continue,and go on & on...look at thread 'madness'for the latest...

I'm not disputing this, all I'm saying is at what point does the credibility question, either side, end?

I'm not saying one is right above the other, like I say I'm well behind Monk, just seems a bit he says she says at points

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

No. You talked up his replacement. Or was that one of your wind ups. 
As I can’t take you seriously, I don’t know.

I honestly believe Hughes will be his replacement one day. That doesn’t mean I’ve called for Monks head this season.

8 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

I agree but folly or not each fan, every fan, deserves to have an outlet for their own perspective 

I've always said first 10 games judge our manager. See where we are. There are those that disagree. I just think the "prove this prove that" nature of discussing our club isn't helping on either side of the fence

I’ve never challenged perspective, and also accept that perspective for some, changes from game to game. 

Outlets are fine. Opinions will always differ. But when common sense goes out of the window, the point gets lost. And here we are. 

So, the next game is on paper, the hardest so far. Will I say Monk is the saviour if we win. No, but if we don’t the toys will be being thrown out of several prams once more.

image.png

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, Chris Apolon said:

I'm not disputing this, all I'm saying is at what point does the credibility question, either side, end?

I'm not saying one is right above the other, like I say I'm well behind Monk, just seems a bit he says she says at points

It ends when people stop 'multi posting' about last season,'& 'if it wasnt for covid 19 monk would have gone' and insisting on starting threads very often just an echo chamber of their,and others similarly biased(in my opinion ) views... over & over......

When they do i simply ask them to show me they didnt think monk was the dogs bo**ocks when we were third in the League.

When they cant( and none have) i say to them 'wheres your credibility?'  & i think its a fair Q.....if(like some) your saying the managers sh*te,no good,always fails,always gets sacked,etc etc......

Once you have had your opinion,you have had it haven't you?  The monks a good/sh*t manager because debate has been had,over & over on here....theres nothing new to be had,its like Brexit,no ones views are changing,.

The only way forward is to leave last season where it belongs,focus on this season, & support our manager & our team.

If the results dont flow,than a reasonable critique of our manager,team,tactics,substitutions  can follow....& will be fair & reasonable.

I am a SWFC supporter,not a Garry monk apologist. if he makes mistakes that makes him human,not a bad manager....Until the point(like nearly all managers really) that he runs out of momentum.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

HHi mate -  and thank you for the question

Earlier in the thread I posted a list of things that Garry Monk has had to overcome/face during his time as Sheffield Wednesday manager

The list was not even a full and exhaustive list but just a few things I reeled off the top of my head. Nevertheless anyone would surely agree it was an extensive list, and when taken into consideration cumulatively it really is quite a shocking list of things any manager would struggle with.

Now..

There are people who aren't fans of Garry Monk (I've no issues with people with genuine concerns. That's their prerogative and of course they're free to post their views)

But

What we tend to find is that when you post a long list of serious issues Monk has had overcome, they will take one or two out of that list and say 'yeah but other managers have had to deal with that too - Monk  isn't the only one'

They're 100% correct.

He isn't the only one to have faced that scenario and that single obstacle, problem or challenge

But I find this approach slightly unfair as all the other managers out there haven't had to face ALL the challenges that Monk has all at the same time like Monk has had to.

I find it unfair that they choose the one or two issues that other managers have also faced, and disregarded the rest.

I've not once seen any Monk critic accept the sheer scale of the issues Monk has had to face, whether that be the EFL case over our heads and then the points deduction, or the first team squad's contracts all coming to an end and then an extension to the season due to Covid happening etc etc etc etc  (the list really is ridiculously long)

I have no issues like I say with anyone being critical off Monk's tactics towards the end of last season, or the substitutions he made during that time etc - no issues at all

What I do find extremely unfair, unrealistic and quite frankly unbelievable is that Monk critics just don't seem to accept that no other Sheffield Wednesday manager in our entire history of our football club has had to deal with the full list of issues, problems and challenges that Monk has had to.

I think if any Monk critics out there were to stop posting, sit down, and reflect on everything that's gone off over the last 18 months at SWFC, they may actually see that Monk isn't this foolish demon that they've made him out to be.

He's a straight talking honest manager who walked into a mess, the mess then exploded in his face, then when he was starting to try and sweep up the mess another bomb went off on him, then another explosion, then another mighty nuclear blast.

I'll conclude by saying any Monk critic out there would get more respect from me if they analysed his time here as I have done above, and then explained why they think  (especially after the decent start we have made, the great signings we have made on a total pittance of a budget etc)  that he's not the right man for the job here.

No Monk critic to date has done that.

You're flogging a dead horse mate

The biggest statistic of all as far as I'm concerned, is Monk didn't get to sign a player permanently until his second season, most manager's would have walked long before then

I've brought this up a few times, and a few posters brush it aside and state that Monk also gave Pelupessy a new contract, as if one counteracts the other

Monk worked the first season with his hands tied behind his back, some supporters won't accept this

I've even seen a poster on here try to claim Saturday's win was down to the new assistant manager and not Monk

There are managers out there who wouldn't touch us with a barge pole, Hughton being one

We've got a bloody good young manager with nous, and we're very lucky to have him

Just need the ginger loving cults to get on board

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

18 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I find it really odd that all these people who don't think Monk is the man are crying because they get called out as/when they slate him, and repetitively and repeatedly are slagging  him off  when at the same time they claim to be 'right behind him' and 'hope he proves me wrong' etc  etc

It's like they want to be able to totally destroy his reputation amongst Owls fans, and try to recruit other people into their Monk hate festival group instead of just saying 'he's not my cup of tea really' and leaving it at that

Reminds me of the old addage “Don’t wrestle with a pig in a pile of sh!t, eventually you realise the pig loves it”. The same goes for these people who hate Monk but claim to back him. It’s like platting fog trying to reason with them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

You're right -  nobody that I've seen have outright called for his head.

Despite our excellent start to the season,there have been several threads from memory,along the lines of..'How many matchs should we give monk,before replacing the manager?(or we will not avoid relegation) posts similar,too many too mention.....

Various thinly disguised posts  steering us towards a monk hatefest,etc etc...This is just my feeling  posts inviting comment from like minded & so on...

Frankly its time now for it to stop,and for people to move on...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

You're flogging a dead horse mate

The biggest statistic of all as far as I'm concerned, is Monk didn't get to sign a player permanently until his second season, most manager's would have walked long before then

I've brought this up a few times, and a few posters brush it aside and state that Monk also gave Pelupessy a new contract, as if one counteracts the other

Monk worked the first season with his hands tied behind his back, some supporters won't accept this

I've even seen a poster on here try to claim Saturday's win was down to the new assistant manager and not Monk

There are managers out there who wouldn't touch us with a barge pole, Hughton being one

We've got a bloody good young manager with nous, and we're very lucky to have him

Just need the ginger loving cults to get on board

Absolutely spot on. 

The same comments keep cropping up from the same so called fans. 
To state it’s only Monks team when the team doesn’t get three points is another desperate cry for attention.

Then when challenged they claim to be behind the manager. 
A sad few individuals, hashing up the same nonsense on a regular basis.

Meanwhile, the team continue to make progress, clawing back a deficit that is not of their making.  

UTO

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 17/10/2020 at 08:37, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

'Well backed by Chansiri' is a matter of interpretation.

Yes, given the circumstances we're in, Chansiri has probably backed Monk as much as he possibly could, but in the grand scheme of things, adding three free transfers, three loans and a couple of £500k forwards is hardly going to catapult us into the upper echelons of the Championship given the calibre of player we've lost in recent seasons.

I'm pleased with the recruitment we've done given the predicament in which we've put ourselves, but I still think our squad looks short of quality in several key areas.

Ultimately, we look like a mid-table squad to me. Whether or not that's enough to overcome our points deduction remains to be seen, but I won't be surprised to see it go down to the wire.

I suppose we've just got to hope that Monk and his team can create a team that's greater than the sum of its parts.

Who are these great players we have let go then in recent seasons? 

• Haha 1