It's all down to Monk now.

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If you want a sensible discussion, you might be best to start with something a little more constructive than your opening line here. 

🙄

As for the rest of your post, it seems you might have missed my point. I'm simply pointing out that we've shed a lot of talented players in recent years and have spent £1m in this transfer window to replace a decent chunk of them. The players we've brought in don't strike me as being of the same quality - and the fact we were able to recruit them for a combined fee of £1m in comparison to the fees we were splashing out in the first few years of Chansiri's reign might support that - but as I've pointed out in this thread and elsewhere, a team is often greater than the sum of its parts.

Hopefully that's the case in this instance, but to claim that Monk 'has been well backed by Chansiri' and therefore 'has no more excuses' as the OP did, is to ignore the wider context in which we're currently operating.

PS - I admire your optimism, but in order to reach the playoffs this season, we'll need to achieve something like 1.83 points per game, which is better than the form needed for automatic promotion in an average Championship season. If we manage that, it will of course be fantastic, but I'm focussing on avoiding relegation first.

I agree with your point. Turning to shades of grey instead of black and white; Monk has been backed sufficiently and the players are at a level, which should be more than sufficient to avoid the drop. The key, as you say, is to mould a team from the constituent parts. That is very much Monks job, I believe he would accept that and I also believe he will achieve it as well.

2 minutes ago, Pieman said:

I agree with your point. Turning to shades of grey instead of black and white; Monk has been backed sufficiently and the players are at a level, which should be more than sufficient to avoid the drop. The key, as you say, is to mould a team from the constituent parts. That is very much Monks job, I believe he would accept that and I also believe he will achieve it as well.

It's going to be tough thanks to the points deduction, but I believe we're good enough to stay up.

Whether or not we have enough in the squad to do so comfortably, I'm yet to be convinced. We'll need playoff form (1.57 points per game) to finish on 60 points, which would see us comfortably mid-table by the end of the season. I'm not sure we can reasonably expect to sustain that kind of form over the season, but it's early days yet. As you say, it's all about the how the team blend as a whole; sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle.

If things start to take a downward turn though, we'll inevitably get the usual overreactions from certain quarters on here. It's only a few days ago I was having to point out to several posters that although our points per game stood at 1.25, which would see us relegated in an average Championship season, a win against Birmingham would see that shoot up to 1.6 points per game, which is much healthier.

Now that we've done that, I find myself counselling calm from another bunch of posters who reckon we might reach the playoffs this year!

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

Guest Jack the Hat
38 minutes ago, Pieman said:

We have a winner ^^^^ I think we should call time of death on this thread with this spot on post. Agree 100%. This is what the OP was suggesting before it got turned into a witch hunt.