EFL rejected American offer for stake in the league two days before Premier League plan was announced

43 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

What's happened is Rick Parry is peddling Liverpool's power grab and blocking any other idea.

Scandalous that he's not only not consulted the clubs about this offer, but he's come out and supported Liverpool's plan before clubs have decided weather to support it!

A cynical person could be forgiven for thinking Parry was "placed" in his job knowing he would be in support of this plan. 

• Like 6

Don't really see the point of surviving in a structure that formally relegates you to the permanent status of jobber for the 'real teams'. 

Ooh, maybe Manchester United will grace us with half a dozen of their 'future stars' on loan and a chance to play their B side twice a year. 

Ffs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geriatricowl said:

I have been a fan for over 65 years, season ticket holder for as long as I can remember. It was a wonderful game years ago. Now sadly like everything else in life it as been ruined with money. Clubs don't win anything anymore, they buy success. 

Think Blackburn started it didn't they?

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

I'm not sure why anyone thinks the EFL chairman, connections to Liverpool or not, would turn this down.

It's an immediate bailout and ongoing funding worth hundreds of millions of pounds to a group of clubs which are going out of business for lack of funds. It removes parachute payments with the intention of narrowing the gap between EPL and EFL. And it provides way more ongoing security to EFL clubs than a one-off £375m with ownership rights, or the Premier League's official offer of about £50m.

The drawbacks from a purely EFL point of view are losing two clubs and one playoff spot. But Bury, Bolton, Macclesfield etc. are showing that we are going to lose clubs either way at this rate, and that is going to have accelerated since March. And losing a single playoff spot is neither here nor there, particularly if the Championship is actually a more level playing field with the removal of parachute payments.

The EFL is going to support this move, because in the end it really screws over 10-14 EPL clubs - who aren't Parry's concern - and really helps the vast majority of the 72 who aren't scrapping at the foot of League 2 or finishing 6th in the Champ.

As a fan I hate it, it means the top flight of our football is going to engrain its imbalance in regulation. They will do their level best to ensure there is never another Leicester. But essentially the top 6 EPL teams, who can afford to take the hit, are offering EFL clubs a huge bribe in order to support them pooing on the other 14 EPL clubs. I don't see any way - given the current state of the game - the majority of EFL chairmen refuse that. 

And as a side note, I'm not sure why anyone believes that any formal offer from the Premier League would be any better for the EFL. That would be drawn up to the instructions of the teams with most to lose if the gap between EFL and EPL is reduced - the bottom half Prem teams. Any formal EPL offer is entirely incentivised to bail out the EFL in the short term, and kill off competition in the long term. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

A cynical person could be forgiven for thinking Parry was "placed" in his job knowing he would be in support of this plan. 

Careful, you will have Rick Parry's fanboys on here all over you for a post like that.

The Premier League dont care about the rest of football they only care about themselves and by having an ex LFC Chief Exec in charge of the EFL is very convenient for their purposes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owlinexile said:

Don't really see the point of surviving in a structure that formally relegates you to the permanent status of jobber for the 'real teams'. 

Ooh, maybe Manchester United will grace us with half a dozen of their 'future stars' on loan and a chance to play their B side twice a year. 

Ffs. 

The vast majority of EFL teams have no realistic prospect of reaching the top 6 of the Premier League, and for some the very realistic prospect of not surviving as a going concern beyond the end of this season. 

How do you buy a stake in one individual league in a league structure?

What on earth would you do to make a profit? It is scary to think how they'd find a way to get money out.

I could understand buying a stake in a closed league like the NFL, but how can it possibly work in a league with different teams each season and very low revenue?