EFL rejected American offer for stake in the league two days before Premier League plan was announced

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I honestly couldn't care one bit if the Premier League just foooooooked off

I'm sick of how our club is so absolutely screwed because of a greedy desire to get there

If we did get there Chansiri can't even compete with the bottom third of clubs there in terms of spending power

We'd go up, we'd sign players on astronomical wages, lose every week, get relegated and go under anyway

The Championship is better to watch and more fun

Not saying that because we're in the Championship either and bitter we're not in the top flight

I just want all this greed, finances,  FFP, EFL, PPV nonsense to all just GO AWAY once and for all and leave us to talk about 11 blokes on a pitch kicking a ball about with 11 other blokes on a pitch

Football right now is DISGUSTING

Post of the year right there. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Of course they do, doesn't mean they should get their way, just as Liverpool and Man Utd shouldn't be allowed to dictate everything.  

They might be giving away more money now, but they will be giving themselves the right to vote this down as soon as they so wish, or keep giving money under provisos of their own making, effectively turning the lower leagues into feeder clubs - as the Leyton Orient owner compared with baseball minor leagues in an apparently positive sense yesterday.

The guise that any of this is for the good of the game is an insult and no surprise to see supporters federations and groups are the ones speaking out most against it. 

Whose to say other options wont arise, we now know already that Parry and the EFL turned a blind eye to one without even putting it to their members, very convenient.  

By all accounts a majority of the member clubs support Parry on this. 

If they reject it and take a bail out on terms all 20 PL clubs support, there's still nothing stopping them from reversing it later. There's nothing stopping them from offering nothing and abolishing relegation, leaving the EFL to fight its own battle. 

Either bail out we're bought and sold by clubs who can turn the tap off at a moment's notice. But there's not much choice, clubs are going to go to the wall imminently without support. 

The only difference from the perspective of most EFL member clubs is Liverpool and United want to give them about 5x the money as in the formal PL offer. 

And if you're really worried about PL teams hamstringing EFL clubs financially and making promotion to the PL harder, do you think the top 6 clubs or bottom half are more likely to do that? 

Bottom end PL teams have every incentive to ensure that EFL clubs are disadvantaged going forward compared to relegated PL teams. Their deal could easily include things like salary caps that only apply after 2 years outside the Prem, alongside huge parachute payments. They are essentially competitors who have the EFL over a barrel. The top 6 don't care either way. 

3 minutes ago, southportdc said:

If they reject it and take a bail out on terms all 20 PL clubs support, there's still nothing stopping them from reversing it later. There's nothing stopping them from offering nothing and abolishing relegation, leaving the EFL to fight its own battle. 

Either bail out we're bought and sold by clubs who can turn the tap off at a moment's notice. But there's not much choice, clubs are going to go to the wall imminently without support. 

The only difference from the perspective of most EFL member clubs is Liverpool and United want to give them about 5x the money as in the formal PL offer. 

And if you're really worried about PL teams hamstringing EFL clubs financially and making promotion to the PL harder, do you think the top 6 clubs or bottom half are more likely to do that? 

Bottom end PL teams have every incentive to ensure that EFL clubs are disadvantaged going forward compared to relegated PL teams. Their deal could easily include things like salary caps that only apply after 2 years outside the Prem, alongside huge parachute payments. They are essentially competitors who have the EFL over a barrel. The top 6 don't care either way. 

Why are you seeing this offer and the PL offer as the only 2 options for the EFL? That's what Parry would like you to think but it has already been revealed he and the EFL have batted away another option without sharing it with its members, of course it is not in Parry's interests to have other offers come to the table.

I think the position of the FA currently prevents them from offering nothing and abolishing relegation, but this deal has offered the FA a sweetener in that respect too hasn't it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54531760https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54531760

Of course the majority of the EFL clubs facing severe hardship are going to take this. Their owners have run them so badly that they need this way out. The fans are less impressed but unfortunately their thoughts will fall on deaf ears due to the need to recoup the losses.

The question remains, if this is for the good of the game then why do Liverpool and Man Utd feel the need to hand all the power to 6 clubs?  

11 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Why are you seeing this offer and the PL offer as the only 2 options for the EFL? That's what Parry would like you to think but it has already been revealed he and the EFL have batted away another option without sharing it with its members, of course it is not in Parry's interests to have other offers come to the table.

I think the position of the FA currently prevents them from offering nothing and abolishing relegation, but this deal has offered the FA a sweetener in that respect too hasn't it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54531760https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54531760

Of course the majority of the EFL clubs facing severe hardship are going to take this. Their owners have run them so badly that they need this way out. The fans are less impressed but unfortunately their thoughts will fall on deaf ears due to the need to recoup the losses.

The question remains, if this is for the good of the game then why do Liverpool and Man Utd feel the need to hand all the power to 6 clubs?  

I never said its for the good of the game. 

It's beneficial to the vast majority of EFL clubs, so Parry will support it because that's his job. 

I don't see any other offer as viable because the EFL unfortunately needs EPL buy in to survive. It cannot be an adversarial relationship because they can just close shop. And there's only two EPL offers in play right now. 

I hope they don't take it, I just can't see them rejecting it and given the current situation I think it's pretty much a done deal the EFL will support this, the sticking point will be the other PL clubs. 

But all in all the suggestions Parry is somehow selling the EFL out for Liverpool is nonsense, the EFL and its members want this with very few exceptions. 

1 minute ago, southportdc said:

I never said its for the good of the game. 

It's beneficial to the vast majority of EFL clubs, so Parry will support it because that's his job. 

I don't see any other offer as viable because the EFL unfortunately needs EPL buy in to survive. It cannot be an adversarial relationship because they can just close shop. And there's only two EPL offers in play right now. 

I hope they don't take it, I just can't see them rejecting it and given the current situation I think it's pretty much a done deal the EFL will support this, the sticking point will be the other PL clubs. 

But all in all the suggestions Parry is somehow selling the EFL out for Liverpool is nonsense, the EFL and its members want this with very few exceptions. 

I never said you said it was for the good of the game mate, just that's how it is being sold.

I agree with a lot of what you say but in terms of Parry, as I say, the members want this because they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

This plan has been 3 years in the making and he has been involved in it, how long has he been in a position of power at the EFL, wonder why he took the job? I think if this comes off he will move back to a PL job as a reward, very convenient. 

The clubs have to support a deal which offers them quick cash due to the way they have run their clubs and the pandemic has placed a tight deadline on this. The fans groups have a less blinkered view. 

14 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I never said you said it was for the good of the game mate, just that's how it is being sold.

I agree with a lot of what you say but in terms of Parry, as I say, the members want this because they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

This plan has been 3 years in the making and he has been involved in it, how long has he been in a position of power at the EFL, wonder why he took the job? I think if this comes off he will move back to a PL job as a reward, very convenient. 

The clubs have to support a deal which offers them quick cash due to the way they have run their clubs and the pandemic has placed a tight deadline on this. The fans groups have a less blinkered view. 

It's entirely possible he has ulterior motives. The Mail is suggesting he might lose his job for the way it leaked, but replacing him won't change much. 

9 hours ago, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

Honestly my passion for it died a while ago. Yet I still tune into Wednesday games and visit this site often. 

I know I need to step away fully, it's just not such an easy thing to do - it's habitual. 

Perhaps something more ethical will emerge out of the Covid era?

I hope so. 

Im the same mate. Let my season ticket go a few years ago as the poison spread around the game. Sad really. Had the same seat for 20 odd years, loads of mates around me, never met them before but hugged them a thousand times 😀

• Like 2

Funny how for years the big clubs were bigged up as fierce rivals to draw in more TV viewers for big games and their top 4 race. Whilst if you look at how the Premier League and Champions League were formed; under hand TV deals year-on-year for more money, pay per view and the talk of rival elite clubs drawing up these proposals to even further empower the elite clubs.

It's clear that the elite clubs are in it together and have been since the birth of the Premier League, they showed that by carrying on during a pandemic without the fans and still spending billions. They clearly don't have a care for history, tradition or fans, just themselves and money. It's about time football fans of all allegiances ignored them too. 

2 hours ago, dobbo said:

We're witnessing the final nail in the football coffin as we know it.

It will be a relief if it happens in a way, I can finally throw in the towel. Years of hanging on with FFP, VAR, courtroom drama and all the other crap. It's been exhausting to follow.

How fitting that the hammer is in the hands of a corrupt, morally bankrupt c*nt.

It's even more fitting that it's one of the same corrupt, morally bankrupt c*nts that started English football down this road in the first place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southportdc said:

This is where the problem lies. 

Operation Power Grab is an absolute sham, but then I don't see the PL offering a viable alternative. 

Instead, they have pretty much sat there with a wave of indifference, some chairman going as far as to compare themselves to Tesco whilst those in the the EFL are the "corner shop". 

The whole thing is a complete mess from top to bottom and I think we could be very well be witnessing the end of football in this country...well, certainly in the form that we have come to know/love. 

I suppose in many ways this was the inevitable conclusion when us and 21 others decided to form a breakaway Premier League. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

It's even more fitting that it's one of the same corrupt, morally bankrupt c*nts that started English football down this road in the first place.

It's not one bloke - it's the whole lot of them and the system they've assembled/stumbled on.  Simply blaming Parry  - and of course he's one of the guilty parties - lets a lot of other villains off the hook.  He's a convenient target drawing fire from everybody else. 

12 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Agree totally mate. I'm very close to washing my hands of the whole corrupt, parasite infested, immoral, greed ridden disgrace professional football has become and support my local grass roots team Stocksbridge Park Steels every week. 

While I'm posting this I'm currently sat waiting for my van to be unloaded bang across the road from Bury's stadium. Looking across the road at Gigg Lane whilst reading this thread rams home that football in this country is well and truly fooooked. 

Good win for the Steels tonight. 4-3 against top of the table Belper.

£8m would cover about half of our annual losses and in exchange they basically make the playoffs un-winnable and the championship even harder. No thanks.

The EFL needs to negotiate better TV deals for the championship with Sky and BT that is all that is necessary in order to raise more funds for the EFL.

1 hour ago, TrueOwl said:

The EFL needs to negotiate better TV deals for the championship with Sky and BT that is all that is necessary in order to raise more funds for the EFL.

If EFL could negotiate a deal twice as good as this one the clubs would just spend it all within 18 months on higher wages.
They is enough money at all levels of professional football for it to function quite adequately and many people be financially well off.

The main problem is daft wages for moderately talented players.

• Like 2