The Humble Club - Abhorrence Of Arabia

Big Malc

I know we’re crap and probably playing pub league footy next season... but their implosion over the past 12 months is a thing of beauty, even by their standards. From giving it the biggun about playing in Europe (before they bottled it) to the best transfer window ever... to this. Glorious

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I see Wilder as a very good, lower league manager.

The kind of manager that can get the best out of his players in these divisions. He brought players in who fit his system and were willing to give their all. Those that didn't/wouldn't would be shipped out quickly.

Problem is, it's harder to get these kind of players at higher level. You also have to pay over inflated transfer fee's along with higher wages. These players then become much harder to shift out, and they found this out.

You also then get questioned much more when you spend £20mil+ on a player and never play him, pressure begins to build.

He's not the first manager to do what he did and he won't be the last.

But what I will say, they had the better chance of returning to the PL with Wilder in charge next season. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Skyline said:

For what it's worth, I see Wilder as a very good, lower league manager.

The kind of manager that can get the best out of his players in these divisions. He brought players in who fit his system and were willing to give their all. Those that didn't/wouldn't would be shipped out quickly.

Problem is, it's harder to get these kind of players at higher level. You also have to pay over inflated transfer fee's along with higher wages. These players then become much harder to shift out, and they found this out.

You also then get questioned much more when you spend £20mil+ on a player and never play him, pressure begins to build.

He's not the first manager to do what he did and he won't be the last.

But what I will say, they had the better chance of returning to the PL with Wilder in charge next season. 

the problem for next season is that Wilders view of where the club needs to go and the Princes are way apart

he doesn't trust Wilder with transfer money, who can blame him, and i can see that there wont be much money available anyway, given the they have already borrowed against the higher PL money not the lower failure payments

• Like 1

Disappointed he’s gone, was turning incredibly toxic internally and would have imploded. Absolutely no way wilder was turning it round and would have been gone early next season imo. Their board now have a chance to make the the right appointment, although I’m not sure they will. 

What’s really confusing me is why the media/fans are comparing them to Norwich and the Farke situation. There is literally no comparison other than relegation. Most, if not all, of that Norwich side walk into united team. They’ve got a massive rebuild job, no money, as they’ve borrowed against future earnings for 2 years and very few saleable assets. Only 3 would fetch anything - Berge (who will have a cheap relegation clause), joc (who may never recover from 2 x double knee op, apparently can’t walk currently) and Egan (who can only play in a 3). It’s very much like Huddersfield. Not Norwich.

Edited by boxing_day
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, the third man said:

the problem for next season is that Wilders view of where the club needs to go and the Princes are way apart

he doesn't trust Wilder with transfer money, who can blame him, and i can see that there wont be much money available anyway, given the they have already borrowed against the higher PL money not the lower failure payments

That's the thing. This squad he has SHOULD be good enough for Championship and Wilder knows them more than anyone. In my opinion he'd have them challenging. 

BUT the problem is, if he was to get them back up the problems would arise again. You'd not trust him with money like you say.

How many of his signings since promotion have been a success? 

• Like 1

What changed though. I was impressed with the way wilder talked about the kind of player he wanted. They must fit within the ethos of his and must have the right attitude. Where as he went into the Premier league and just seemed to buy expensive rubbish. Surely they weren't all his signings? Or did he just panic? Saw it as an opportunity for United to push up the league?

37 minutes ago, Skyline said:

That's the thing. This squad he has SHOULD be good enough for Championship and Wilder knows them more than anyone. In my opinion he'd have them challenging. 

BUT the problem is, if he was to get them back up the problems would arise again. You'd not trust him with money like you say.

What is it about a squad that loses week in week out in the Premier League that makes you think they'll be good enough in the Championship?

I think most of our fans think our squad would struggle in League One, and I say many comparisons between the the teams.

1 hour ago, markowl said:

What is it about a squad that loses week in week out in the Premier League that makes you think they'll be good enough in the Championship?

I think most of our fans think our squad would struggle in League One, and I say many comparisons between the the teams.

I just feel they kept a good core squad which should, going on their last season in the EFL, be good enough. 

Keep the same manager and you have a better chance too - Look at Norwich.

3 minutes ago, Skyline said:

I just feel they kept a good core squad which should, going on their last season in the EFL, be good enough. 

Keep the same manager and you have a better chance too - Look at Norwich.

Norwich aren't remotely comparable to the pigs.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Out of interest, why not?

My only reason for comparison is relegated, bottom of the league, not very good in the Prem. 

Norwich don't spunk 150 million quid when they get promoted.

2 hours ago, Skyline said:

A lot of his signings haven't been a success, but when he paid little for them or got them for free it didn't matter

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, darra said:

Wilder just got a bit kid in a sweet shop end of last season. 

Think that's a fair point but I think it happened before the end of last season. They didn't exactly go for broke when they got promoted but I think they got a bit high on where they were midway through last season and started to splash the cash then.

Berge cost them a transfer record last January, seems to have decent technical attributes but not a player that fitted into the style of play that had got them to where they were at all.

They knew Henderson had played a big part in their season and tried desperately to get him back. When that was a non-runner I've no idea how they went from him to spending over £18M on a goalie they had sold for around £1 3 seasons previously and who had barely kept a clean sheet in a poor season at Bournemouth, just seemed like a panic buy. 

Brewster was similar. Wilder said recently that he is a future asset and his long contract sort of points towards that a little, but when you are one of the lowest scoring teams in the division you don't spend £23M+ on a striker without expecting to make an impact in that season.