The Humble Club - Abhorrence Of Arabia

Big Malc

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Think that's a fair point but I think it happened before the end of last season. They didn't exactly go for broke when they got promoted but I think they got a bit high on where they were midway through last season and started to splash the cash then.

Berge cost them a transfer record last January, seems to have decent technical attributes but not a player that fitted into the style of play that had got them to where they were at all.

They knew Henderson had played a big part in their season and tried desperately to get him back. When that was a non-runner I've no idea how they went from him to spending over £18M on a goalie they had sold for around £1 3 seasons previously and who had barely kept a clean sheet in a poor season at Bournemouth, just seemed like a panic buy. 

Brewster was similar. Wilder said recently that he is a future asset and his long contract sort of points towards that a little, but when you are one of the lowest scoring teams in the division you don't spend £23M+ on a striker without expecting to make an impact in that season. 

All fair points.

Henderson was always a big one to replace. There must have been so many available, god knows what made him punt for Ramsdale.

Brewster had a great end of season at Swansea, was highly rated potential wise. I can't help but think if they kept playing him, let him get his feet on the ground he'd have maybe started to show some promise. Instead Wilder decided to bench him and give him an odd cameo here and there. I can only think his attitude didn't fit Wilders style. 

Criminal to spend so much, yet still be relying on Lundstrum who's refusing to resign, McGoodrick, Sharp, Norwood.

There was always going to be that issue of trying to kick on.

At some point, they would have to stick and twist.

In the end, they didn't really do either. They spent money, but it was either to replace someone or just add numbers to the squad. Not one signing improved the overall quality of the starting first XI; it was very much quantity over quality imo.

I think Brewster was bought with the idea he was a genuine upgrade on what they had - a quick, very highly rated striker. He's been an absolute disaster. Don't fall for the line he was bought solely on potential. Dem Blades ain't spending 23 million on potential.

Wilder's recruitment bombed as it had largely done in the summer prior. Difference is, those stalwarts of his were able to step up and bridge the gap. This season, any aura they had previously had was completely gone. Teams had largely worked them out. I know they lost O'Connel early on which was a blow, but if all your attacking quality is scuppered by one injured CB, then perhaps the system wasn't quite as amazing as people made of it? 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Morepork said:

Just watched it as well.

It's hard to make a sensible comment on anything blades related without it being jumped on by people that can't be objective about Utd.

I have no sympathy for Sharp or Utd, I'd just say this. I've not seen one interview from anyone at our club, player or staff looking anywhere near as broken as that. It would be healthy to have a handful of individuals at the club that took our plight as personally. Maybe we have, I certainly hope so..... 

Bang on pal, he looks and sounds like you want players to look like when you have just been battered and are going down, do we have anyone in the club who feels that way or do our lot just tweet out there disappointments?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, owl_83 said:

What changed though. I was impressed with the way wilder talked about the kind of player he wanted. They must fit within the ethos of his and must have the right attitude. Where as he went into the Premier league and just seemed to buy expensive rubbish. Surely they weren't all his signings? Or did he just panic? Saw it as an opportunity for United to push up the league?

Funnily enough their fans are starting to spout that tripe about not being his signings (like our fans do to be fair). Yet, he claimed it was United's best transfer window in their history last summer. Don't fall for it. He knew what he was getting

2 hours ago, Skyline said:

All fair points.

Henderson was always a big one to replace. There must have been so many available, god knows what made him punt for Ramsdale.

Brewster had a great end of season at Swansea, was highly rated potential wise. I can't help but think if they kept playing him, let him get his feet on the ground he'd have maybe started to show some promise. Instead Wilder decided to bench him and give him an odd cameo here and there. I can only think his attitude didn't fit Wilders style. 

Criminal to spend so much, yet still be relying on Lundstrum who's refusing to resign, McGoodrick, Sharp, Norwood.

You say cameos, but he still made 20+ appearances for them and in those games he offered absolutely zilch. Like, no effort at all. He was the same in an England u21 game I watched last year. I didn't even realise it was him but he got subbed off and thought I'm not surprised, then they said who it was!  He was woeful. No movement what so ever, and no interest in getting involved. Rubbish attitude

McGoldrick looks 10 times the player he does. I'd have him at us to be fair

Think there were suggestions on here that part of the reason Liverpool were happy for Brewster to go was down to his attitude. 

Certainly has a bit of the big time Charlie vibe about him. 

His record in the Championship suggests he should score plenty next season. Tbf, McBurnie was handy at Championship level too. 

17 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

For what it’s worth I think they will do ok next season in the Championship.

I think both Brewster and McBurnie’s level. Should be a very good striker partnership for them. 

If they can afford to keep them, think both will be sold

5 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

Well let me tell you Sheffy United

They really cant differentiate between Wilder and the club, i am surprised they don't think the club was only formed 5 years ago

Wonder if he was the one that boycotted the Co-Op as well

• Thanks 1

Why don’t they give their head a wobble and see who they hire before they start taking their shoes off

If they go for Monk, Clement, McLaren or Zola then fair enough, but If they manage to get Howe or someone half decent then they’ll have done well 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the third man said:

They really cant differentiate between Wilder and the club, i am surprised they don't think the club was only formed 5 years ago

Wonder if he was the one that boycotted the Co-Op as well

I saw a tweet earlier that basically said the writer was unsure whether they want to be a Sheffield United supporter or a Chris Wilder supporter from here on.