Sheffield Wednesday NOT looking for new keeper

Now I'm not saying Monk, Dawson or Wildsmith are anywhere near as good at what they do as Big Ron, Pressman or Turner were, but who was Atkinson's number one? In that promotion/league cup winning season they played 23 league games each, and i distinctly remember Pressman being dropped after a few poor performances, and (my memory is a bit stretched at this point!) i think Turner also got dropped at some point for similar reasons.

The previous season (relegation) was similar until Big Kev got injured on New Years day v Man City so Turner played the rest of the season (Hirst finished the Man City game in goal after scoring, and then kept a clean sheet!) 

Following Big Ron's departure, Tricky Trev shipped out Turner, and brought in Woods who clearly came as the Number 1. We finished 3rd, got to Europe but Woods still dropped some reight clangers but was pretty much ever present.

Now we have a similar situation to Big Ron's time, although as i say, Monk, Dawson, Wildsmith aren't in that kind of bracket talent wise (and neither is Westwood anymore) but i think unless we bring in a clear number one, Dawson and Wildsmith should embrace the competition between them, and along with the coaching staff and Monk's decisions to play them or drop them as per performances. It will do them good, as they both have a couple of years experience at this level now and should be able to put disappointments/setbacks to one side for the greater good of the team.

The new backroom lads of Beattie, Hughs, and, most importantly from the gk perspective, Flahaven(spelling?) seem big on the psychological side of things (as does Monk to be fair) so could really add value to the keeper's growth/improvement. A new outright number one is going to cost a fair few quid, and i think that any available money could be better spent on a couple of extra first chioce strikers. Whatever happens it going to be a tough old season with a severe handicap of - 12 points, and irrespective of what happens at the appeal, i don't believe we are going to bringing in any serious big money signings this season. 

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

To be fair I think he wanted to have a good look at Wildsmith following Dawson's poor form and wasn't going to drop him during the last 9 games. 

Westwood conceded 15 goals in 14 league appearances and kept 4 clean sheets. In those 14 games we picked up 18 points. 1.29 points per game.

Dawson conceded in 34 goals in 23 league games and kept 8 clean sheets. In those 23 games we picked up 30 points. 1.30 points per game.

Wildsmith conceded 17 goals in 9 league games and kept 2 clean sheets. In those 8 league games we picked up 8 points. 0.89 points per game.

Points per game Dawson comes out just on top last season, same for clean sheets with Westwood well on top for least goals conceded per game. Dawson's clean sheet record of better than 1 in every 3 games is very good but it is alarming that he conceded 34 goals in only 15 games of those in which he didn't keep a clean sheet. Perhaps a confidence issue? If we concede early then he struggles to settle or put it out of his mind? This seems to be far less of a problem for Westwood.

A fair few people said Westwood deserved to be dropped for his form at the time, perhaps rightly so. But then the same had to be said of Dawson. His stats are high thanks to a strong start when he replaced Westwood. In his last 5 games Dawson conceded 14 goals and had lost confidence so when football returned after lock-down replacing him with Wildsmith was justifiable. Unfortunately Wildsmith's stats and performances won't fill many with confidence and that was at a time when the team had supposedly come back refreshed and positive.

Westwood has been a great keeper for us in my opinion but I am now resigned to the fact that he has now future with us and the club should have done more to move him on. Unfortunately I don't think Wildsmith & Dawson are good enough for a place in a mid-table Championship starting 11 and that is what we need to be this season just to stay up.

That’s a bonus

so not only did Dawson have a better clean sheets ratio of all our keepers we also won more points per game with him in goal

seems like a no brainer to me

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Did you miss the bit where I said it was time to move on from Westwood?

Plenty of the goals Dawson conceded were his fault unfortunately, it was the same defensive options we had all yes, yes they are also culpable, which is probably why we have brought Dunkley in to try and strengthen. 

We need better in order to pick up mid-table points.

I was agreeing with you regarding Westwood.

Dont agree with plenty of goals being Dawson’s fault. 

1 hour ago, Ian said:

That’s a bonus

so not only did Dawson have a better clean sheets ratio of all our keepers we also won more points per game with him in goal

seems like a no brainer to me

Overall last season yes. 

However, his form this year is 9 points from 12 games - an even worse ratio than Wildsmith who was pretty poor in our last 9 matches. We also conceded 14 goals in the last 5 matches he played in.

Neither are good enough to be number one for a mid-table Championship side. If they were both made available for free tomorrow I doubt many clubs in our division would take either and make them their 1st choice keeper.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Overall last season yes. 

However, his form this year is 9 points from 12 games - an even worse ratio than Wildsmith who was pretty poor in our last 9 matches. We also conceded 14 goals in the last 5 matches he played in.

Neither are good enough to be number one for a mid-table Championship side. If they were both made available for free tomorrow I doubt many clubs in our division would take either and make them their 1st choice keeper.

9 points.....so 9 more than Westwood then

8 minutes ago, Ian said:

9 points.....so 9 more than Westwood then

You seem stuck on Westwood. If I can move on then so should you. Yes he got 9 points more than Westwood this year! By the same token Westwood didn't lose a game or concede a goal this year!

Our goalkeepers are not good enough for a mid-table start in the Championship and few if any teams at this level would pick either as first choice if they could take them for free.

3 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

But in the last year it’s been rotation after a bad performance. Can’t see it doing much for the confidence of a relatively young keeper.

It's not been though.Westwood got dropped. Dawson came in and stayed until lockdown. On the resumption Wildsmith came in and stayed for last 9 games as Monk said he wanted to take a look at him.

23 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Hmmmm I'm honestly not so sure.

Hopefully with a stronger defence in front of them and a new goalkeeping coach they will do much better, but last season they looked a million miles away from being confident assured safe goalkeepers who could be first choice keepers in a critical Championship campaign

That's not bashing them/the club by the way. I just think that the goalkeeper department is the only real worrying aspect of our whole setup now if we're definitely not bringing another main keeper in.

I'm personally more frightened about the striker situation,with Rhodes being the only real recognised striker and I had more faith in Nuhiu popping up with a goal than him.

As for the goalkeeper situation, 

both at mid table keepers, about the same as the ageing Westwood these days hence the lack of people queing up to sign him,which is about where I think we are at the moment.