Sheffield Wednesday NOT looking for new keeper

3 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

If this is the case it would be good for Monk to say ‘X’ is my #1 for the season rather than just keep rotating them after the odd mistake.

Maybe because he wants them to think there only as good as their last performance? & keep them up for it? Rather than think they have a regular berth,bar them putting in stinker after stinker...

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
2 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

If this is the case it would be good for Monk to say ‘X’ is my #1 for the season rather than just keep rotating them after the odd mistake.

Monk said in his interview, he’s got a tough decision to make on his number one. He had been impressed With both in training and the new goal keeping coach has also been impressed. He also said both have the ability to improve a lot more and was a good problem for him as manager to have. Personally I would go for Dawson

2 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Monk said in his interview, he’s got a tough decision to make on his number one. He had been impressed With both in training and the new goal keeping coach has also been impressed. He also said both have the ability to improve a lot more and was a good problem for him as manager to have. Personally I would go for Dawson

I’m the other way, would go Wildsmith.

9 minutes ago, parajack said:

Maybe because he wants them to think there only as good as their last performance? & keep them up for it? Rather than think they have a regular berth,bar them putting in stinker after stinker...

But in the last year it’s been rotation after a bad performance. Can’t see it doing much for the confidence of a relatively young keeper.

25 minutes ago, parajack said:

So the only way that would happen,is if the team bombed,and results were dire.......i really ask myself why people bother posting like that...

Don't you realise this is going to happen with this guy as manager. Just wake up and smell the coffee.

• Haha 1

Guest Willow Owl
2 minutes ago, William 1867 said:

Don't you realise this is going to happen with this guy as manager. Just wake up and smell the coffee.

The chairman has backed him and allowed him to bring In his own coaching staff. We are a team in transition and I will give them a chance before writing them off.

Wanting a manager sacked before a ball has been kicked Is a little embarrassing to be honest. 
But it’s your opinion !!

15 minutes ago, Ian said:

He didn’t though did he.....he dropped Dawson for Wildsmith and then stuck with him despite the balllacks.

To be fair I think he wanted to have a good look at Wildsmith following Dawson's poor form and wasn't going to drop him during the last 9 games. 

13 minutes ago, Ian said:

You’re talking rubbish...Dawson had a better clean sheet ratio than Westwood

Westwood conceded 15 goals in 14 league appearances and kept 4 clean sheets. In those 14 games we picked up 18 points. 1.29 points per game.

Dawson conceded in 34 goals in 23 league games and kept 8 clean sheets. In those 23 games we picked up 30 points. 1.30 points per game.

Wildsmith conceded 17 goals in 9 league games and kept 2 clean sheets. In those 8 league games we picked up 8 points. 0.89 points per game.

Points per game Dawson comes out just on top last season, same for clean sheets with Westwood well on top for least goals conceded per game. Dawson's clean sheet record of better than 1 in every 3 games is very good but it is alarming that he conceded 34 goals in only 15 games of those in which he didn't keep a clean sheet. Perhaps a confidence issue? If we concede early then he struggles to settle or put it out of his mind? This seems to be far less of a problem for Westwood.

A fair few people said Westwood deserved to be dropped for his form at the time, perhaps rightly so. But then the same had to be said of Dawson. His stats are high thanks to a strong start when he replaced Westwood. In his last 5 games Dawson conceded 14 goals and had lost confidence so when football returned after lock-down replacing him with Wildsmith was justifiable. Unfortunately Wildsmith's stats and performances won't fill many with confidence and that was at a time when the team had supposedly come back refreshed and positive.

Westwood has been a great keeper for us in my opinion but I am now resigned to the fact that he has now future with us and the club should have done more to move him on. Unfortunately I don't think Wildsmith & Dawson are good enough for a place in a mid-table Championship starting 11 and that is what we need to be this season just to stay up.

6 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

The chairman has backed him and allowed him to bring In his own coaching staff. We are a team in transition and I will give them a chance before writing them off.

Wanting a manager sacked before a ball has been kicked Is a little embarrassing to be honest. 
But it’s your opinion !!

Yes.

Guest Willow Owl
4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

To be fair I think he wanted to have a good look at Wildsmith following Dawson's poor form and wasn't going to drop him during the last 9 games. 

Westwood conceded 15 goals in 14 league appearances and kept 4 clean sheets. In those 14 games we picked up 18 points. 1.29 points per game.

Dawson conceded in 34 goals in 23 league games and kept 8 clean sheets. In those 23 games we picked up 30 points. 1.30 points per game.

Wildsmith conceded 17 goals in 9 league games and kept 2 clean sheets. In those 8 league games we picked up 8 points. 0.89 points per game.

Points per game Dawson comes out just on top last season, same for clean sheets with Westwood well on top for least goals conceded per game. Dawson's clean sheet record of better than 1 in every 3 games is very good but it is alarming that he conceded 34 goals in only 15 games of those in which he didn't keep a clean sheet. Perhaps a confidence issue? If we concede early then he struggles to settle or put it out of his mind? This seems to be far less of a problem for Westwood.

A fair few people said Westwood deserved to be dropped for his form at the time, perhaps rightly so. But then the same had to be said of Dawson. His stats are high thanks to a strong start when he replaced Westwood. In his last 5 games Dawson conceded 14 goals and had lost confidence so when football returned after lock-down replacing him with Wildsmith was justifiable. Unfortunately Wildsmith's stats and performances won't fill many with confidence and that was at a time when the team had supposedly come back refreshed and positive.

Westwood has been a great keeper for us in my opinion but I am now resigned to the fact that he has now future with us and the club should have done more to move him on. Unfortunately I don't think Wildsmith & Dawson are good enough for a place in a mid-table Championship starting 11 and that is what we need to be this season just to stay up.

Dawson and Wildsmith were also playing behind a defence that was shot confidence wise. Dawson also had 2 games where we conceded 5. Can’t remember goals being his fault ( maybe 1) just rank shocking defending.

Suppose it’s all about context and what you want to see from stats.

Westwood was a great keeper but time to move on, his time has gone.

29 minutes ago, William 1867 said:

And like i said you looking forward to that moment?? If your right?.hoping to relish the team bombing and not doing well? bizarre....completely bizarre...Ime Wednesday supporter & Garry Monk is our manager.its a new season,with some exciting new players,& ime looking forward to seeing what develops...NOT like the soothsayer in 'Up Pompei' going 'Oh whoa,whoa & thrice whoa....(like some on here every other post) anyway cant stop ime off for a coffee....smells great 

Edited by parajack

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I'd much rather we got rid of the fans moaning constantly about Monk than get rid of Garry Monk to be fair

Strewth! We agree once again! In fairness, the clear out was absolutely necessary and it took a lot of guts. Now we need to give him And his team ( OUR Team) the support to take them forward. Come on The Owls!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Dawson and Wildsmith were also playing behind a defence that was shot confidence wise. Dawson also had 2 games where we conceded 5. Can’t remember goals being his fault ( maybe 1) just rank shocking defending.

Suppose it’s all about context and what you want to see from stats.

Westwood was a great keeper but time to move on, his time has gone.

Did you miss the bit where I said it was time to move on from Westwood?

Plenty of the goals Dawson conceded were his fault unfortunately, it was the same defensive options we had all yes, yes they are also culpable, which is probably why we have brought Dunkley in to try and strengthen. 

We need better in order to pick up mid-table points.

Willdsmith first made the breakthrough five years ago and looked a decent prospect back then. The season Carlos left I thought he had a good season and was arguably one of our best players that campaign. Then Jos dropped him to have a look at Dawson and from that point on despite indifferent form he got his nose in front of him. I think Wildsmith's confidence took a knock because of that and I think he also suffered a serious injury and has been playing catch up ever since.

FWIW I think Wildsmith has got a chance but it's a gamble to go with him this season. As for Dawson he's never been a championship keeper and never will be. **** selects him then I think we are definitely going down?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1