Derek Dooley's leg break

On 22/08/2020 at 03:11, qantas said:

Just this minute finished talking to a customer that came into our shop...he's a pom & we started talking about football, he told me he was a mad Preston fan & was at the game when Dooley broke his leg, he can remember it like it was yesterday due to the sound it made.

It kinda reminded me of when Ian Knight broke his leg, I can remember that sound as well, spine chilling I'd call it....but to talk to someone who actually witnessed Dooley's was surreal, nice to talk to an old school guy about the old time greats such as Tom Finney who was playing that day at Preston...I've invited him to call in anytime to talk about football.

Are whinging cons allowed to call us poms in today's politically correct times? 😙

• Haha 1

On 22/08/2020 at 04:56, FlyingOwl said:

For someone who has suffered a double leg break (coincidentally just had another operation to fix it this week which explains me being awake at 4:30am) it’s quite fascinating to read about how it got infected and relating that to why the consultants ‘silly obsessive post op questions’ aren’t so silly. Being constantly asked if I can move my toes every few hours, and prior to the op asked if I’ve got ANY cuts or scratches that need noting of.

Infections can be scary things though and, even if Dooley broke his at a time where medicine was more advanced, it still just may have happened due to how innocuously he picked up the infection through turf on the pitch getting into his wound. It’s enough to keep me awake at night. Read about an NFL player as recently as 2018 who nearly lost his leg, and maybe his life. A broken leg similar to Dooleys and picked up an infection which caused flesh eating bacteria. In the end he lost ALL of the muscle in his leg and had a muscle transfer. And what caused the infection itself? A piece of his dirty football sock got into his wound. Mental.

The sound of a leg breaking is quite chilling, seeing Andre Gomes’ suffer one live on tv most recently. Quite remarkable how some players recover so quickly now and how far medicine has come though. Gomes was back playing the same season. Others are out for the season or even more. For some, they never play the same again and others, like Dooley, forced to retire and it completely changes their life. 

I know it’s just a saying when people tell players to go into tackles hard and ‘break his legs’. And I’m absolutely 100% all for full blooded challenges and hate how many great challenges are pulled up for being too hard even if the ball is won. But I’d like to think that no player genuinely goes into a tackle wanting to break the other players leg.

Got to ask...How did you do it?...the leg break/ playing? or jst an unlucky accident?

Dooley was not the only Wednesday player to lose a leg. The team were travelling South somewhere when the coach was involved in a crash , I believe on the M1, and a young  centre forward called Dougie McMillan,a promising young player had his leg trapped in the crash. In order to free him they had to amputate his leg. It didn't make the papers like DD, because he wasn't famous like Derek.His nicknamme was 'Miff' and I well remember , because at the time we had just acquired a puppy,mwhom we named after him.

I well remember Dooley however, and us receiving the news at Grammar School, where someone posted cuttings of the special edition of 'The Star' on the notice board.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Mick Prendergast also broke his leg in a clash with the keeper at Preston.

I think it was a Good Friday match, because we played Preston again, at home, a few days later and the “ooooooooooooo, barsteward” chant when a keeper take a goal kick was born.

Yep Good Friday 12th April 1974.

I was at Deepdale that day behind the goal where it happened.

Sickening when you heard the crack when the goalie clattered him.

You knew it was bad but didn't know he'd broken it until read it in the paper.

3 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Dooley was not the only Wednesday player to lose a leg. The team were travelling South somewhere when the coach was involved in a crash , I believe on the M1, and a young  centre forward called Dougie McMillan,a promising young player had his leg trapped in the crash. In order to free him they had to amputate his leg.

BL_0000560_19601228_053.jpg.6fea69b3dc897b103d85c8a2cfc4a3a4.jpg.ba5df93dc5a9ef003b8a952bb700fd55.jpg

5 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Mick Prendergast also broke his leg in a clash with the keeper at Preston.

I think it was a Good Friday match, because we played Preston again, at home, a few days later and the “ooooooooooooo, barsteward” chant when a keeper take a goal kick was born.

My strongest memory of that incident, is of Graham Hawkins (PNE centre half), knelt down cradling Prendo’s head while the medics treated him.

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

BL_0000560_19601228_053.jpg.6fea69b3dc897b103d85c8a2cfc4a3a4.jpg.ba5df93dc5a9ef003b8a952bb700fd55.jpg

What terrible luck for the young fella. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Never heard about this story before. Anyone know what his story was after football. Guess insurance cover was not what is is now.

On 22/08/2020 at 14:24, Tommo_ said:

Did you go and see big Usain Bolt when he trained with the Mariners?

Not live no, I watched him in a game for the Mariners on TV, might have been a friendly but anyway he was blowing hard, had a right sweat on, to be fair he hadn't trained much but it was funny to see him struggling, football is of course totally different to a hundred metre dash I suppose.

My mate did meet him personally though, he had a part time job there as a general dogs body, helping with kit & stuff, the first team liked him a lot so they started taking him on the road with them as well, when Usain joined them on trial they got on really well together, he showed me a photo of them together in the dressing room, bear in mind my mate is about 5'3" tall & looks like Mick Hucknall, don't how tall Usain actually is but he must be 6'6" or close to it...let's just say it was an odd looking photo... he's only shown it to me 152 times.

On 22/08/2020 at 19:36, Rogers said:

what’s it called; I’ll pop in next time I’m travelling the world. 

Mate I will respectfully decline from that....there was a nutjob called thaiowl on Owlsmad back in the day who stalked every post I made on there...I know he comes to Australia on business & he's the last freak I need to walk in....don't know if reads Owlstalk but safety first 😄