Derek Dooley's leg break

17 hours ago, GLOwl said:

Are whinging cons allowed to call us poms in today's politically correct times? 😙

It's all good, I've been called much worse playing football over here.

About twenty years ago when the Aussies were due to be playing Pakistan in a test series the headline on the back pages was "The Pakis Are Coming"....no one 'batted' an eyelid, no one cared & why would they....worlds gone crazy.

Edited by qantas
Addition

On 23/08/2020 at 04:27, Utah Owl said:

You might like to think that but when you read some of the stuff players write (thinking Roy Keane) or watch some of the stuff they do on TV (take a log at Bennett on Ian Knight) you sadly have to conclude otherwise.

Incidentally how did you break your leg?

You'd hope that many wouldn't want to go out with the intention of hurting people .. especially in the pro leagues .. but you know there are some that absolutely go with the intention of hurting people .. maybe not leg breaking but to show a bit of brute force and king ******** attitude, especially in the amateur leagues this sort of stuff happens. When i suffered my compound fracture of the fib and tib, left foot, main leg as well, the tackle on me was ******** horrific, lad jumped up waist height and scissored me .. what goes through some players heads I'll never know, reckless tackles, horrific 2 footers etc,

There's a gif of one that sticks in my head .. ******** shocking

20 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Dooley was not the only Wednesday player to lose a leg. The team were travelling South somewhere when the coach was involved in a crash , I believe on the M1, and a young  centre forward called Dougie McMillan,a promising young player had his leg trapped in the crash. In order to free him they had to amputate his leg. It didn't make the papers like DD, because he wasn't famous like Derek.His nicknamme was 'Miff' and I well remember , because at the time we had just acquired a puppy,mwhom we named after him.

I well remember Dooley however, and us receiving the news at Grammar School, where someone posted cuttings of the special edition of 'The Star' on the notice board.

Dougie McMillan used the money from his testimonial to buy the Post Office in Wincobank at the bottom of Newman Road.
Got served by him for years when I live there as a kid. 
I assumed he must have retired by now.

3 hours ago, qantas said:

It's all good, I've been called much worse playing football over here.

About twenty years ago when the Aussies were due to be playing Pakistan in a test series the headline on the back pages was "The Pakis Are Coming"....no one 'batted' an eyelid, no one cared & why would they....worlds gone crazy.

Totally agree mate, the world has gone mad. Not sure what it's like down under but here it's gone way too far in some cases. Re-writing history, virtue-signalling, way over the top representation. I'm all for equality, but the clue is in the word.

20 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Dooley was not the only Wednesday player to lose a leg. The team were travelling South somewhere when the coach was involved in a crash , I believe on the M1, and a young  centre forward called Dougie McMillan,a promising young player had his leg trapped in the crash. In order to free him they had to amputate his leg. It didn't make the papers like DD, because he wasn't famous like Derek.His nicknamme was 'Miff' and I well remember , because at the time we had just acquired a puppy,mwhom we named after him.

I well remember Dooley however, and us receiving the news at Grammar School, where someone posted cuttings of the special edition of 'The Star' on the notice board.

I don't recall hearing that story before, very interesting were there any other casualties?