Breaking news. SWFC v EFL

Guest Jack the Hat

1 minute ago, Owls-Fan said:

Even easier to impose the 12 points in the correct season then 

That is the point, the EFL wanted to  defer the decision to the following season so it would have an impact. 

It seems to me "we" then devised the plan to allocate the stadium sale to the 17/18 season and not be in breach at all

Because if the EFL were aware of the stadium sale at that time March 19 say then why would they have been looking to punish us 

9 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Said it before but if the penalty should have been applied to the 2018/19 season I don’t see why it doesn’t get entered in the record books for that season and we pay back any prize money for finishing 12 points lower.  We still have to comply to FFP as everyone else does following the rules etc. That doesn’t change 

What seems wrong is applying the penalty when the EFL chooses to.  Seems like they wanted to wait to the following season when we would be struggling and impose the penalty, but when they saw we were actually doing alright under Monk and in the playoff race they thought, oh b****r we better impose the penalty now to either a) get them whilst they are still in this league or b) stop them getting promoted.  Either way it’s wrong and I don’t see why we deserve to be punished now for their unlawful behaviour 

This ^ it will be interesting to see if the report today highlights any further wrong doing by us as if not we shouldn’t be punished for the EFL’s mistake 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mkowl said:

That is the point, the EFL wanted to  defer the decision to the following season so it would have an impact. 

It seems to me "we" then devised the plan to allocate the stadium sale to the 17/18 season and not be in breach at all

Because if the EFL were aware of the stadium sale at that time March 19 say then why would they have been looking to punish us 

Why did they wait till November to raise the charges in that following season?

Edited by Owls-Fan

Just now, Owls-Fan said:

Why did they wait till November to raise the charges in that season?

They raised misconduct charges so my hypothesis is that when we filed the actual accounts for 2018 - late - the EFL went WTF there is 38m profit on a stadium sale that appears never to have been mentioned.

You have to realise this process for FFP is ongoing, clubs have to send in forecasts, interim figures, final figures all before the audited accounts.

So there shouldn't be any surprises really at that stage.

The EFL presumably thought this was extremely serious and requested these key documents on the sale. This exchange would have taken a couple of months. So this was a higher charge than just an FFP breach.

If we had filed accounts that did not include a stadium sale for 2017/18 then I suspect the charges would have come out pretty immediately

9 hours ago, Sheff74 said:

So what's happened to the Guardian thead about backdating documents then?

8 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Having not read all the thread,but enough of it,it doesn't take a genius to work out why it was removed.

6 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Please enlighten us . I saw nothing in that thread to suggest it should be removed , just simple , straight forward views on what people think has happened. 

2 hours ago, Manwë said:

I'm guessing we're not allowed to discuss the Guardian article, which if true, shows the EFL and Wednesday were made for each other.

I'll wait for the full public release to discuss.

It hasn’t been removed. It was merged with this thread. All of those posts are still visible a few pages back. 

• Thanks 1

To re-iterate IF the EFL were aware of the stadium sale in say March 19 why would they have been looking to punish us. It would have shown us not in breach 

They presumably were going off 2 years accounts plus unaudited finals for 2018 ex a stadium sale in determining that we were over the limits. Not marginally even, 14m or 15m over whatever.

9 hours ago, rickygoo said:

The club  doesn't own its own ground, has a threadbare squad and is starting the new season on -12 points. That's pretty poor and enough to say we're in a pickle despite the best efforts of the Chansiri fans to try and tell us how great he is. 

Chansiri fans who tell us how great he is? Wheres that happening?

Or Wednesday fans who balance out his incompetent attempts at running the clubs business while crediting him with sticking the money in in the first place. 

And who believe that the system he's flailing around in is the bigger problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

Indeed, and at that point Bruce had us moving up the league and we technically could have made the play-offs so it could have been the club that also thought 'we can't take the points deduction now' i.e. 2018/19 season. In the end we came up short but would still have stayed in the championship with a 12 point deduction. 

7 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

I’d say he’s up there with the best, 2 play off campaigns (but we can’t talk about them), keeps the club funded (but we can’t talk about it), keeps non-playing staff in jobs through a crippling pandemic (can’t praise him for it though), funds and backs his managers (which is a bad thing apparently), paid for a new state of the art pitch to replace the quagmire that it was before (as above).

Our fans are like spoilt brats, they  want everything on a plate for nowt.

Any other owners got in such a mess with FFP that they have had to sell the ground? Have we ever started a season on -12 points under anyone else? He may be a nice bloke but he has turned our club in to a laughing stock, the things that are currently happening to us are a disgrace and they are down to him. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Who was then?  Have we had one in anyone's living memory?  

In terms of progress in the league Mandaric I suppose. I haven't really liked any of them! Lee's hearts as in the right place but he needs a bit of luck. 

But the 12 point deduction and especially the prices do it for me. Each to their own of course. 

• Like 1