10 questions on your time as a Sheffield Wednesday fan

On 04/08/2020 at 05:15, @owlstalk said:

1) What was the first Wednesday match you can remember ever going to?

Grimsby at home 1-0. 84

2) Who was your Wednesday hero growing up?

mel Sterland

3) Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player?

Chris Waddle
4) What's the best match you've ever been to?
Semi final at Wembley 93. 
5) What's the best away day you've ever had?

Sunderland - Roker Park. 97 I think
6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to?

brentford 
7) What's the best goal you have ever seen at a Wednesday match?

Hirstys vs Villa 

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced?

2005 play off final
9) Who's been the best ever Wednesday defender?

Roland

And....

10) Where's it all gone? When you experienced all of the above did you ever in your life expect to be now talking about FFP, P&S, VAR, Chairmen, Points Deductions, Hearings, Appeals, Transfer Embargoes, Court Cases, Lawyers, Barristers, QC's, Agents, Advisors and Loopholes? (not talking about just SWFC here - but football in general, as a whole.. as a sport) the clubs a shambles at the moment 

11 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

September 1st 1990 mate

hirst.thumb.jpg.f6643882b7bfeb80fecdb53d265cd2cd.jpg

I'd have thought you'd have got married in the pre-season mate!

Just presumed it was August as it was the first home game of the season wasn't it after we started away at Ipswich?

Early congratulations on your upcoming anniversary!

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Just presumed it was August as it was the first home game of the season wasn't it after we started away at Ipswich?

Thanks mate

Wife wanted the Swallow Hotel Nether edge, September 1st was the only Saturday they had left in 1990, I just prayed we'd be away, but Wednesday always let us down

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

On 03/08/2020 at 20:32, Lee A said:

1) Ipswich at home in the 90s, won 4-1 and assumed it was like that every week. 

I started going regularly in 1990, didn't have a season ticket first few seasons, thought I was some sort of lucky charm as I didn't see us lose in my first 20 or so visits to Hillsborough. 

Soon as I got a season ticket in 93 we failed to score in our opening 2 home games. 

:bullen:

1) What was the first Wednesday match you can remember going to?

Wednesday 0-1 Watford (Blisset) 1987

2) Who was your Wednesday hero growing up? David Hirst

3) Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player? Chris Waddle

1993 Semi Final

5) What's the best away day you've been to?

Too many to mention, but I was reminded the other day of how good it felt just a year ago beating Reading in the sunshine on the 1st day of the season. Smiling faces everywhere, hot day, sold out away end. Feels like a million years ago.

Wembley (new)

The Waddle free kick at Wembley or maybe Hirst vs Man United in '87 as it was the first time I saw us win.

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced? Numerous big games in the 90's. Brighton play offs.

Is this a trick question or do I just write Roland Nilsson?

And....

10) Where's it all gone?

Don't get me started.

1957 a 1-1 draw v Preston North End reserves in the central League.

Probably Colin Dobson 

Probably Fred Spikesly

our 5-4 win v Manchester United

our 7-2 win at Old Trafford 

For atmosphere the Fritzwalter Stadium at Kaiserslautern was a bit special.

Browns volley for WBA against us at Hillsborough was very special (It is on video somewhere)

The candle show the night we beat Brighton brought a tear to my eye.

It has to go to Ernest Blenkinsop, but Des Walker and Roland Nielsson hot on his heels.

And....

10) Where's it all gone? When you experienced all of the above did you ever in your life expect to be now talking about FFP, P&S, VAR, Chairmen, Points Deductions, Hearings, Appeals, Transfer Embargoes, Court Cases, Lawyers, Barristers, QC's, Agents, Advisors and Loopholes? (not talking about just SWFC here - but football in general, as a whole.. as a sport)

Jimmy Hill & Johnny Haynes got the ball rolling Bosman followed up. The role of the FA has always been a useless Gentlemans club with their feet in the trough. However, they have now sold their soul to SKY and taken up third place in the running behind the EFL. But, as they say; Where there is life there is hope. I do so hope this is true !   

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
  • Like 1

1) What was the first Wednesday match you can remember ever going to?

Wednesday 0-0 Leicester City 1991

Chris Waddle 

Chris Waddle 

Play Off Final 2005 

Play Off Final 2005

Millenium Stadium Cardiff

Paul Warhurst v Spora 1992

Play Off Final 2005

Des Walker 

• Like 1

1) What was the first Wednesday match you can remember ever going to?  Really not sure, because I went to matches in 1971, but I have a strong recollectiom of Santos in 1972 and a trip to Hull around 1971/72

2) Who was your Wednesday hero growing up?   Roger Wylde, then Terry Curran, then Hirst

3) Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player?   Hirst
4) What's the best match you've ever been to?   Hartlepool play off final
5) What's the best away day you've ever had?    Hartlepool play off final/ Notts Forest away 3-0 win 2016 (my 50th and Dads 80th in a box bouncing)
6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to?   Hillsborough (been to places like San Siro/Nou Camp - but still love Hillsborough)
7) What's the best goal you have ever seen at a Wednesday match?  Waddle Wembley

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced?    Hull play off final
9) Who's been the best ever Wednesday defender?   Emerson Thome
10) Where's it all gone?  Money, but football represents life.  Ask the people born 100 years ago, did they ever expect computers, home ownership to the masses, television etc.  As for Wednesday, its farily cyclical and we may have another set of good times, but who knows.

• Like 1

10. It doesn't feel like the club's ever really had a decent foundation since the mid 90s. We never seemed to sell a player and then reinvest the money well. I accept servicing the debt was a big problem for this and so we couldn't reinvest the 3m for Brunt, for instance.

More recently, the money spent on older players has proved to be money down the drain. Now we have to start again with no cash to spend.

On 03/08/2020 at 20:15, @owlstalk said:

And....

10) Where's it all gone? When you experienced all of the above did you ever in your life expect to be now talking about FFP, P&S, VAR, Chairmen, Points Deductions, Hearings, Appeals, Transfer Embargoes, Court Cases, Lawyers, Barristers, QC's, Agents, Advisors and Loopholes? (not talking about just SWFC here - but football in general, as a whole.. as a sport)

League Cup tie Versus Blackburn Rovers, Night game at home, stood on the lane lost 2-1. October 82.

Gary Bannister and Mel Sterland.

Chris Waddle.

FA Cup Semi Versus United at the old Wembley.

Cardiff City, May 84, 2-0 win and promotion.

Millennium Stadium.

David Hirst Versus Villa, Home August 91/ Graham Stuart For Chelsea January 84, 4-4 Great game.

Play-off final v Hartlepool at Cardiff.

Close, Mel Sterland/Roland Nilsson.

And....

10) Where's it all gone? When you experienced all of the above did you ever in your life expect to be now talking about FFP, P&S, VAR, Chairmen, Points Deductions, Hearings, Appeals, Transfer Embargoes, Court Cases, Lawyers, Barristers, QC's, Agents, Advisors and Loopholes? (not talking about just SWFC here - but football in general, as a whole.. as a sport)

These days fans are more interested in what's happening in the boardroom instead of what's happening on the field, the fun and enjoyment is gradually getting sucked out of the game.

2 hours ago, paddyowl said:

David Hirst Versus Villa, Home August 91/ Graham Stuart For Chelsea January 84, 4-4 Great game.

Stuart's goal was in August 1992 and we drew 3-3, it wasn't the famous 4-4 game in 1984.

I remember it because it was one of only two home games (pre-Covid) that I missed in the last 32 years - I went to the Monsters of Rock festival at Donington, having got the ticket before the fixtures came out and prayed it'd be an away game that weekend but it wasn't to be. 

Home v Fulham, Nov 1974

Rodger Wylde

David Hirst (In my time anyway)

F.A. Cup Semi Final 1993

Crystal Palace, Apr 1992

Millenium/Principality Stadium/ Upton Park

David Hirst v Aston Villa, Aug 1991

Wycombe Wanderers, May 2012

Mark Smith

And....

Money and greed has killed it all.

Would I prefer to go back to standing in p!ss, eyes in the back of your head on constant alert for nawty boys, only being able to see highlights of two games per week on tv, not knowing who we've signed in the summer until the first match of the season?

Do I miss all that or do I miss my youth? Probably a bit of both.

1) What was the first Wednesday match you can remember ever going to?    Oct 1958 v Huddersfield reserves followed by Rotherham in 2nd div the following week. I'd enjoyed my first game but wondered why there weren't many there.  The concept of a Central League game was beyond this little kid.

2) Who was your Wednesday hero growing up?    Froggatt Fantham and Ron Springett.

3) Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player?  All before my time I think. Crawshaw, Wilson, Blenkinsop, Dooley?

4) What's the best match you've ever been to?   Owls 5 Man Utd(European champions)4 in 1968.  We were 4-2 down at half-time, and been taken apart.

5) What's the best away day you've ever had?  Beating Man U at Wembley 1991, followed by 1993 SF v Sheff Utd and Millenium stadium game.

6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to?  The new Wembley followed by Millenium. In my younger days, Highbury and Goodison had the best atmospheres.

7) What's the best goal you have ever seen at a Wednesday match?  Dunno, but we seemed to score 30 yarders every month when Carlos was boss.

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced?  1991 at Wembley.  At Hillsboro, the Brighton playoff game, and Wycombe.

9) Who's been the best ever Wednesday defender?  In my time, Don Megson and Mick Lyons. Maybe not technically the best, but great leaders.

And....

10) Where's it all gone?          I ask myself all the time.  So many mistakes.  Letting Catterick and Wilkinson go.  Brian Clough turning us down. Bobby Robson doing likewise.  Not signing Keegan after Scunny had beaten us at Hillsbro in the cup 1970.  Not signing Cantona.  Not forgiving Di Canio and Carbone when they let us down.  Signing the wrong half of the Wright/Bright Palace duo (though Mark did quite well for us).   Not selling Hirst for £3m when it would have virtually paid for Alan Shearer.      Even sacking Trevor Francis and Carlos turned out to be bad mistakes IMO.   Just so many mistakes.......... still making them.   😞

6 hours ago, Loppy said:

Ah the long forgotten bit of the DI Canio game. Poor Lee, imagine scoring that (his only for us) goal in any other game! 

I'll never forget that game, its been down hill ever since Briscoe smashed that ball into the net in front of the Kop.

Di Canio, Richards and Wilson... The unholy Trinity.

:duntmatter:

22 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That was a game and a half. 

David Hirst hatrick. Just made that play off defeat to Hull even more bewildering. 

Hull City. Half empty Stadium. WTF.

At least they have reverted back to type now. 

On 03/08/2020 at 20:15, @owlstalk said:

And....

1) v sufc late 1960s and being amazed at my Dads language lol

2) Tommy Craig

3) Of those I have seen Roland but greatest ever is probably Andrew Wilson

4) Wembley v SUFC 

5) Cardiff 1984

6) Barcelona ( Champions League game v Arsenal)

7) 

8 )

At Hillsborough v Newcastle 1984, Wembley 1991, 1993 

9) Roland

10) I have got to the stage where I have had enough of all the soap opera , my club is Wednesday, i support Wednesday, I will go when i fancy going regardless of what division we are in. I am not interested in the finances or politics.