10 questions on your time as a Sheffield Wednesday fan

Only 22:

1) Hartlepool 2005 in Cardiff 

2) Slim pickings, Lee Grant. I’m a GK and his shot stopping was class

3) Dad’s favourite was Shez says he was on a different level 

4) Arsenal 3-0 is up there, Hillsborough was absolutely bouncing that night. Wycombe on the pitch after. Obviously winning at the millennium as first match 

5) Derby 2-2, Semedo day at Forest, Brighton this season had a weekend down there, good for non footballing reasons but a good win too.
6) Wembley/Hillsborough

7) Matias at Elland Road weren’t a bad one 

8. Brighton semi and play off final, Wycombe.

9) Loovens in my time, class act. Walker, Nilsson etc for all time.

10) It’s been steadily creeping in throughout my time and it’s now ridiculous. Got a ST at Alfreton Town now, unfortunately got priced out of going to Hillsborough a couple of seasons ago and lost a lot of enthusiasm for the top level of the game with VAR, courtroom battles etc. Loving non-league.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

1) What was the first Wednesday match you can remember ever going to?

2) Who was your Wednesday hero growing up?

3) Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player?
4) What's the best match you've ever been to?
5) What's the best away day you've ever had?
6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to?
7) What's the best goal you have ever seen at a Wednesday match?

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced?
9) Who's been the best ever Wednesday defender?

And....

10) Where's it all gone? When you experienced all of the above did you ever in your life expect to be now talking about FFP, P&S, VAR, Chairmen, Points Deductions, Hearings, Appeals, Transfer Embargoes, Court Cases, Lawyers, Barristers, QC's, Agents, Advisors and Loopholes? (not talking about just SWFC here - but football in general, as a whole.. as a sport)

1 Watford at home. 1987. Lost 1-0. Luther Blissett scored. John Barnes played for Watford that day.

2 David Hirst

3 Chris Waddle

4 Rumbelows cup final or Wembley semi final '93. Should a been 10-1 yer know

5 Barnsley away in the promotion season under Big Ron. Didn't win but the crowd reaction to Carlton Palmer's last minute equilizer was unbelievable.

6 Hillsborough, obviously

7 Hard one. Many by Hirsty and Shez but I've got go with Waddle's free kick at Wembley and Shez's goal at Wembley as a tie.

8 Kaiserslautern, Wycombe or Hull at Wembley

9 Des Walker as centre half, Rolly as full back

10 Didn't expect this as a young un, we were competing with the best when I was a lad. It started going wrong under Dave Richards and never did the full circle. The crowds we get are remarkable when you assess it all. 

Leicester at home in 94. 1-0 win Guy Whittingham scoring 

Des Walker

Chris Waddle

Cardiff play off final

Newcastle away on Boxing Day

6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to?

Hillsborough

Brunt v Leeds away

First time we played Pigs after relegation from Prem or Brighton play off. 

9) Who's been the best ever Wednesday defender?

Des Walker

And....

10) Where's it all gone? When you experienced all of the above did you ever in your life expect to be now talking about FFP, P&S, VAR, Chairmen, Points Deductions, Hearings, Appeals, Transfer Embargoes, Court Cases, Lawyers, Barristers, QC's, Agents, Advisors and Loopholes? (not talking about just SWFC here - but football in general, as a whole.. as a sport)

Nope. Shame it’s gone that way.

Edited by S72 Owl

I think it was Watford at Hillsborough; I seem to remember John Barnes playing for them. 

Sterland, then Sheridan (Hirst, Palmer, Nilsson), Waddle, then I stopped having hero’s! I appreciated Di Canio as a great player.  I thought Mark Bright was underrated. 

3) Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player? Waddle or Di Canio in my time for pure entertainment. 
4) What's the best match you've ever been to? Wembley 91, Waddle Vs West Ham, Kaiserslautern games for the European experience, Blackburn away in the cup. Lots more that I can’t remember. 
5) What's the best away day you've ever had? See above 
6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to? I always like White Hart Lane for some reason, for an old school ground.  The best facilities in any stand globally is at the Sydney cricket ground members stand (they play football there occasionally), new Wembley is pretty nice. 
7) What's the best goal you have ever seen at a Wednesday match? Cannot put my finger on any specific goal; Di Piedi Vs Sunderland, Hirst vs Villa, , Sheridan free kick vs Kaiserslautern, Harkes away at Derby league cup 91; One’s that pop into my head, but I’m sure sure Di Canio, Carbone, Sibon, have also scored crackers. Countless opposition goals, Steve Ogrizovic for Coventry. 

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced? Kaiserslautern at home, Chelsea at home in League Cup semi 91, unsure. 
9) Who's been the best ever Wednesday defender? Roland Nilsson or Des Walker in my life time 

1. Man city at home 92/93 season.

We lost 3-0. 

2. Chris Waddle

3. Chris Waddle

4. Not sure but that Arsenal match a few seasons ago sticks in my mind

5. Away at Man City a few seasons ago. We got hammered but my Man city supporting brother-in-law got me tickets in the corporate area and I watched the game sat next to Chris Waddle. 

6. Not a wednesday game but Barcelona is an amazing stadium. 

7. One of the most memorable is the Michele Di Piedi overhead kick.

8. Brighton

9. Des walker. But absolutely loved Roland and bougherra

10. Genuinely, with the way Chansiri has run this club I'm not surprised at all. Could hardly say I knew all that was going to happen but many could see we have a clueless owner who was driving this club into the ground at an astronomical pace.

23 minutes ago, swfcjack27 said:

Only 22:

1) Hartlepool 2005 in Cardiff 

2) Slim pickings, Lee Grant. I’m a GK and his shot stopping was class

3) Dad’s favourite was Shez says he was on a different level 

4) Arsenal 3-0 is up there, Hillsborough was absolutely bouncing that night. Wycombe on the pitch after. Obviously winning at the millennium as first match 

5) Derby 2-2, Semedo day at Forest, Brighton this season had a weekend down there, good for non footballing reasons but a good win too.
6) Wembley/Hillsborough

7) Matias at Elland Road weren’t a bad one 

8. Brighton semi and play off final, Wycombe.

9) Loovens in my time, class act. Walker, Nilsson etc for all time.

10) It’s been steadily creeping in throughout my time and it’s now ridiculous. Got a ST at Alfreton Town now, unfortunately got priced out of going to Hillsborough a couple of seasons ago and lost a lot of enthusiasm for the top level of the game with VAR, courtroom battles etc. Loving non-league.

Whilst you're 22 and not a child I really wish that our owner would take note of these types of statements and rethink his plans. 

• Like 1

Sheffield Wednesday vs Everton - We lost 2-0 I think.

Waddle. Who else?

Roland Nillson 

Wycombe 2-0. Never experienced anything like that at Hillsborough with 4 side all Weds.

Tricky split Leicester 4-1, Leeds 3-2, Burnley 7-2 but it has to be Cardiff. 

Old Trafford 

Chris Brunt vs Leeds. What an effort.

Wycombe as above.

Nigel Pearson or Guy Branston (for his ability to clean everything out). Honourable mention to Madjid Bougherra for the song.

And....

10) Where's it all gone?

It's always changing. I remember watching us draw 0-0 with Bradford and thinking this is awful. We needs to move in a 5 year cycle with Utd and every changing fortunes. I think success needs to be defined - I'd say it's to be entertained. I'd rather us stay in the championship playing attractive football with reasonable prices and promote a youth policy than go up and see us have 20% possession and 3 shots all game. 

• Like 1

1) What was the first Wednesday match you can remember ever going to? Wednesday 2  v  1 Newcastle, Easter Monday 1982

2) Who was your Wednesday hero growing up? As a proper young un - Bannister Varadi / As a teenager going to matches home and away - Hirst and Sheridan

3) Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player? Waddle
4) What's the best match you've ever been to? 4-4 with Chelsea
5) What's the best away day you've ever had? League Cup Final 1991 St Sheridan's Day "dink"
6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to? After Hillsborough then Old Trafford
7) What's the best goal you have ever seen at a Wednesday match? Hirst v Villa

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced? 2nd leg UEFA Cup v Kaiserslautern
9) Who's been the best ever Wednesday defender? Des Walker and Roland Nilsson

And....

10) Where's it all gone? When you experienced all of the above did you ever in your life expect to be now talking about FFP, P&S, VAR, Chairmen, Points Deductions, Hearings, Appeals, Transfer Embargoes, Court Cases, Lawyers, Barristers, QC's, Agents, Advisors and Loopholes? (not talking about just SWFC here - but football in general, as a whole.. as a sport)

This is exactly why i actually hate modern football and take no interest in the "circus" but it was always going to go this way. The obscene amounts of money in football make it an inevitability. I was always against such stuff as VAR because the main argument for it was again "there is so much money riding on the right decision" utterly disregarding the fact that for about 160 years we have needed no such thing to arrive at a decision and the standard of refereeing has been degraded in recent years also, to the point that it almost seems deliberate. Unfortunately professional sports will always attract shysters and the dishonest and its not as if Wednesday haven't bent the rules before - weren't we one of the first clubs to "employ" a professional player in the 1870's when football was supposed to be strictly amateur. And as for our record when it comes to actually jumping on the spendathon bandwagon, we are so shiiiite at it its embarrassing. I remember when we signed Sinton from under the noses of Arsenal back in the 1990s, I cringed like fooook when when i heard Wednesday fans singing "You can't afooookingford him" to Arsenal the next time we played them: and who got the last laugh there? I still love football as a game, and i try to block out all the other nonsense for 90 minutes when i watch a match,  but I no longer love as a sport, because it doesn't even remotely resemble a sport anymore. I still love Wednesday but the points deduction is what we've got for playing with fire, we've tried to bend the rules and got found out, and now have to just get on with it.

UTO WTID COYBAWW

1)    What was the first Wednesday match you can remember ever going to?

Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Liverpool, February 2, 1985

2)    Who was your Wednesday hero growing up?

David Hirst

3)    Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player?

Chris Waddle

4)    What's the best match you've ever been to?

Rumbelows Cup Final 1991

Blackburn Rovers 2-7 Sheffield Wednesday, August 25, 1997

Wembley Stadium

Chris Waddle, FA Cup Semi 1993

😎 What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced?

Sheffield Wednesday v Kaiserslautern
Roland Nilsson

And....

10) Where's it all gone? Where to start for SWFC poor leadership, no business structure, and no football vision. Football as a whole greed (FIFA, UEFA, and FA)

1 Carlisle promotion game 1980

2 TC

3 Hirst

4 4-2 vs Newcastle 1983

5 2-1 vs Man Utd news years day 1985

6 Old Wembley..bit of a dump but still Wembley

7 Hirst last minute from touchline vs Man Utd

8 Chelsea semi-final..finally done it after a decade of qtr and semi final losses 

9 Mel

10 No

40 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

1. 1979 Wednesday 5-0 Rotherham. 
2. Brian Marwood & Lee Chapman then David Hirst

3. Chris Waddle probably pips a good few other for me
4. Kaiserslautern @home atmosphere fantastic
5. Coventry City away quarterfinal of League Cup 1990/91

6. Nou Camp (not watching Wednesday unfortunately!

7. Too many to pick. A couple that stick out though are Hirsty’s turn and run from the half way line v Hull City and his opener v Aston Villa in the first match of the season.

8. Kaiserslautern

9. Nilsson, Walker, Lyons.

10. Far too much money in the game.

That cov game was a reyt nailbiter!!! Brilliant atmosphere!! Love watching it back. ATKINSONS!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Although i vaguely remember going to a few games before, the loss against Man City in '69 which sent us down sticks in the memory

Mick Prendergast

Chris Waddle

5-0 at home to Burnley in FA Cup quarter final

Blackburn in promotion season

Aztec Stadium tour Mexico City

Ian Mellor BDM

Kaiserlautern home

Mike Lyons

And....

10) Where's it all gone? When you experienced all of the above did you ever in your life expect to be now talking about FFP, P&S, VAR, Chairmen, Points Deductions, Hearings, Appeals, Transfer Embargoes, Court Cases, Lawyers, Barristers, QC's, Agents, Advisors and Loopholes? (not talking about just SWFC here - but football in general, as a whole.. as a sport)

As someone else previously said, its all down to Sky money

25 minutes ago, Rogers said:

I think it was Watford at Hillsborough; I seem to remember John Barnes playing for them. 

Sterland, then Sheridan (Hirst, Palmer, Nilsson), Waddle, then I stopped having hero’s! I appreciated Di Canio as a great player.  I thought Mark Bright was underrated. 

3) Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player? Waddle or Di Canio in my time for pure entertainment. 
4) What's the best match you've ever been to? Wembley 91, Waddle Vs West Ham, Kaiserslautern games for the European experience, Blackburn away in the cup. Lots more that I can’t remember. 
5) What's the best away day you've ever had? See above 
6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to? I always like White Hart Lane for some reason, for an old school ground.  The best facilities in any stand globally is at the Sydney cricket ground members stand (they play football there occasionally), new Wembley is pretty nice. 
7) What's the best goal you have ever seen at a Wednesday match? Cannot put my finger on any specific goal; Di Piedi Vs Sunderland, Hirst vs Villa, , Sheridan free kick vs Kaiserslautern, Harkes away at Derby league cup 91; One’s that pop into my head, but I’m sure sure Di Canio, Carbone, Sibon, have also scored crackers. Countless opposition goals, Steve Ogrizovic for Coventry. 

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced? Kaiserslautern at home, Chelsea at home in League Cup semi 91, unsure. 
9) Who's been the best ever Wednesday defender? Roland Nilsson or Des Walker in my life time

10)

Richards mismanagement, including getting Pleat and changing the team to a whole lower level of quality, no one liked Pleat either.  Danny Wilson and the handling of the players that were keeping us in the league

Continuously not getting the transfer money expected for players we sold (Di Canio, Emerson Thome, Alexanderson, Kovacevic, the list goes on)..the number of players that were quality or had potential and we gave them away or could have got more £ for.

Dave Allen era for segregating the fanbase and it was just gloomy atmosphere and the endless crap manager and even lower quality of players. 

DC not listening or understanding anything, the wheels falling off after CC departure - Jos, etc. 

Wolves late 50s

peter eustace 

chris waddle

man u 5-4

Man U league cup final

millenium stadium 

John Harkes Derby 

Brighton at home 

peter swan

too much money. When average players can be earning tens of thousands of pounds a week and don’t give a throw and act like they are gods that’s where it’s all gone wrong. 

1) Newcastle I think?

2) Di Canio 

3) Chris Waddle

4) Wycombe - promotion season

5) Can’t remember, tend to be a bit tipsy.

6) Hillsborough... Wembley weren’t a bad ground. 

7) Hamshaw v Watford or Tudders v pigs a close second along with some screamers from Brunt and Wallace in there.

8.. Brighton home play offs, Wembley (before the match), Wycombe promotion season. 

9) Des Walker

10) Not sure where it’s gone wrong, but I’ll blame pigs for starting it all off with the whole Tevez saga lol. But seriously, probably something o do with men in suits who know nothing about the game.

Edited by robowl4life

16 minutes ago, Dandrewchaz said:

Sheffield Wednesday vs Everton - We lost 2-0 I think.

Waddle. Who else?

Roland Nillson 

Wycombe 2-0. Never experienced anything like that at Hillsborough with 4 side all Weds.

Tricky split Leicester 4-1, Leeds 3-2, Burnley 7-2 but it has to be Cardiff. 

Old Trafford 

Chris Brunt vs Leeds. What an effort.

Wycombe as above.

Nigel Pearson or Guy Branston (for his ability to clean everything out). Honourable mention to Madjid Bougherra for the song.

And....

10) Where's it all gone?

It's always changing. I remember watching us draw 0-0 with Bradford and thinking this is awful. We needs to move in a 5 year cycle with Utd and every changing fortunes. I think success needs to be defined - I'd say it's to be entertained. I'd rather us stay in the championship playing attractive football with reasonable prices and promote a youth policy than go up and see us have 20% possession and 3 shots all game. 

Greatest player Nilsson, best defender Guy Branston.

Brilliant, amused me slightly. Thanks 

1) Roland Nilsson

2) Roland Nilsson

3) Roland Nilsson

4) Roland Nilsson

5) Roland Nilsson

6) Roland Nilsson

7) Roland Nilsson
8 ) Roland Nilsson

9) David Hirst

10) Roland Nilsson

Edited by dykwim

1. Middlesbrough (H) 1st Feb 1997 (won 3-1 Booth, Hyde and a Pembridge pen) 

2. Benito Carbone

3. In my era Di Canio or Carbone but probably David Hirst (based on tv footage and older fans views)

4. 4-4 home draw with Huddersfield (11/12) for entertainment. 3-1 home win against Man Utd (98/99) for best performance

5. Love the day out at most always but for the whole package and what it meant it had to be the win at Brighton (A) play-off 2nd Leg (15/16)

6. Old Trafford or Wembley for a match, Nou Camp or Bernabau to visit

7. Brunt v Leeds (A) 06/07 for us and Harry Kwell for Leeds (H) 99/00 for opposing team

8. Brighton (H play-off 1st Leg (15/16)

9. Des Walker (since 1996) but historically there will be many better I would think

10. The game is slowly dying week on week, it started with tackling and general physicality being outlawed in the early 00’s and (as many have said) has got worse the richer the game has become. The latest episode with FFP and dodgy accounts is going to put a lot of people off the game, the whole sport in the UK needs a reset