10 questions on your time as a Sheffield Wednesday fan

1 ) Hull City 79/80 season 

2) Rodger Wylde

3) Waddle

4) 93 FA Cup semi

5) Blackburn semi 93

6) Nou Camp

Watching Wednesday ..Millenium, new Wembley.

7) Harkes vs Derby

8) Inside ground Kaiserslautern (home)

Outside ground ...Millenium 2005

9) Roland just over Des.

10) no

1.  First match v Millwall home Easter Saturday 75.  Lost one nil during the run when we didn't score for months.

2.  First hero was Brian Hornsby.  Big Jack signed him for £45k from Shrewsbury, flair midfielder who scored some great goals.

3.  Greatest player....Chris Waddle

4. Best match seen was the 4-4 League Cup Quarter Final with Chelsea

5.  Best away day....my wife is a Brummie so I had to stand with her on the Tilton for the last away game in 07.  Ok we lost, but it was just a great day out

6.  Best ground I've been to...Nuremberg's Max Morlock Stadium

7.  Best goal at Hillsborough...Mel Sterland v Arsenal in '88 (wish someone still had it on film)

8.  Best atmosphere...when we beat Man Utd 1-0 in Nov 85 to end their unbeaten start.  Over 48000 there, it was an awful game but Lee Chapman won it near the end.

9.  Best defender (and captain)...Mike Lyons

10.  You just have to learn not to get too high or low.  There are lots of things we could all wish away at the moment about Wednesday or football in general.  The important thing for me is I still care, I haven't lost that and I hope I never will.

1) What was the first Wednesday match you can remember ever going to? V Orient in cup

2) Who was your Wednesday hero growing up? John Sheridan 

3) Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player? Waddle 
4) What's the best match you've ever been to? Spora Luxembourg 
5) What's the best away day you've ever had? Losing 4-0 at Fulham 
6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to? Hillsborough 
7) What's the best goal you have ever seen at a Wednesday match? Brunt v Leeds

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced? Di Canio Day
9) Who's been the best ever Wednesday defender? Roland

10) A mixture of DC and GM have destroyed it in 12 months 

1) Owls v Leicester City, 1991.  0-0. The first game after our League Cup success, aged 8.

2) Chris Waddle.

3) In my lifetime, Chris Waddle.
4) Playoff final, Cardiff. Not necessarily the greatest game I’ve seen, but the one that will live longest in my memory for the whole day, and result.
5) See above.
6) Anfield was special.
7) Chris Waddle, semi-final. Celebrated right in front of us too.

8 ) At Hillsborough Brighton playoff semi.  But a special mention for the atmosphere even after we lost the subsequent final at Wembley.  Made me proud to be an owl. 
9) Roland Nilsson.

10) The breakaway of the Premier league, and the ever increasing financial disparity. Personal grudges rather than the good of the club (Atkinson’s second spell).

A lack of a clear, vision throughout the club, just the broadest of ambitions to ‘get back to where we belong’, through numerous owners and chairmen.  Our current plight can be largely attributed to one man, but our issues are far bigger, and go back much further than him.  Despite everything though, I’ll continue to support us, because when we get good times, like Cardiff, as mentioned above, they’re all the sweeter and e for all the bad times we experience in between times.

1) What was the first Wednesday match you can remember ever going to?

3-3 draw with Luton early 80's.

2) Who was your Wednesday hero growing up?

Terry Curran

3) Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player?

John Sheridan

4) What's the best match you've ever been to?

For the occasion the League Cup final v Manchester United

5) What's the best away day you've ever had?

Play off final Cardiff

6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to?

Estadio De Nora - Portugal 😝
7) What's the best goal you have ever seen at a Wednesday match?

Matt Hamshaw for us, Graham Stuart for Chelsea

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced?

Chelsea home semi final or Kaiserslautern at home.

9) Who's been the best ever Wednesday defender?

Des Walker

And....

10) Where's it all gone? When you experienced all of the above did you ever in your life expect to be now talking about FFP, P&S, VAR, Chairmen, Points Deductions, Hearings, Appeals, Transfer Embargoes, Court Cases, Lawyers, Barristers, QC's, Agents, Advisors and Loopholes? (not talking about just SWFC here - but football in general, as a whole.. as a sport)

Its totally gone and losing fans by the bucketload.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

And....

10) Where's it all gone? When you experienced all of the above did you ever in your life expect to be now talking about FFP, P&S, VAR, Chairmen, Points Deductions, Hearings, Appeals, Transfer Embargoes, Court Cases, Lawyers, Barristers, QC's, Agents, Advisors and Loopholes? (not talking about just SWFC here - but football in general, as a whole.. as a sport)

wed 3 - 3 arsenal - 1988

David Hirst 

David Hirst 

Wed 2 - 0 Liverpool 1989

Too many to pick one out.

never bothered about grounds - had great days at tiny stadiums and big ones.

Dalian Atkinson v Liverpool 89

Leicester away in turners first season. 

des walker 

And....

10) Where's it all gone? When you experienced all of the above did you ever in your life expect to be now talking about FFP, P&S, VAR, Chairmen, Points Deductions, Hearings, Appeals, Transfer Embargoes, Court Cases, Lawyers, Barristers, QC's, Agents, Advisors and Loopholes? (not talking about just SWFC here - but football in general, as a whole.. as a sport)

no - it’s completely ruined it for me although fortunately I’m old enough to remember the good times.

Wednesday 1-1 Bristol Rovers Aug 1974

Mick Lyons 

Mick Lyons 

League cup final win - only trophy im likely to see us win 

Plough Lane , Wimbledon . Unique Ground. 

Old Trafford

John Harkes v Derby at Baseball Ground in FA Cup

Away Games back in the mid 70`s . The team was garbage ,but the away following was out of this world .

Mick Lyons 

And....

The creation of the premier league destroyed the game we all love. Money became the be all and end all .

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Wimbledon at home 1980, won 3-1 I think

2) Who was your Wednesday hero growing up? Mel Sterland

3) Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player? Chris Waddle
4) What's the best match you've ever been to? Weird but I loved the 5-1 v Hull in 1990. Loved it to bits.
5) What's the best away day you've ever had? Wembley semi 1993 v grunts
6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to? Has to be ours for the way it makes me feel.... most of the time
7) What's the best goal you have ever seen at a Wednesday match? Matt Hamshaw v Watford in league cup

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced? Wembley v grunts again
9) Who's been the best ever Wednesday defender? Roland Nilsson 

And....

Premier league and the media obsession with top flight and assuming we all care about the big teams. 

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Away v Blades Feb 1967

Jim McCalliog

Probably Fred Spiksley

BDM

Wembley '91

Villa Park

Terry Curran, you all know the one!

BDM
No. 2!
And....

No, the game these days seems to be about everything other than the game. It's all gone horribly wrong.

Beating Barnsley 2-1 at home in 82 or 83.

Bannister, Hodge, Pressman.

In my generation I'd have to say Hirst, Waddle and PDC.

Beating Chelsea at home to book our place in the final.

Chelsea in the semi final, we won 2-0.

Anfield.

Hirst against Villa, we went on to lose 3-2.

Play off semi against Brentford and Brighton.

Nilson and Walker.

And....

No. Sadly this is down to one man and that one man can turn this around if he chooses to.

I’m sure everyone is convinced they lived through the best era for football, but Italia 90 to Euro 96 will take some beating.

The money had come in, but not gone daft. TV coverage had improved beyond recognition and both Wednesday and England good teams. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

1) What was the first Wednesday match you can remember ever going to? ....BLUNTS1962

2) Who was your Wednesday hero growing up?.......RON SPRINGETT

3) Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player? ....ERNIE BKENKINSOP....
4) What's the best match you've ever been to?....MAN UTD 5-4
5) What's the best away day you've ever ......LEEDS 1969
6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to? ...HIGHBURY
7) What's the best goal you have ever seen at a Wednesday match? .. TONY BROWN WBA

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced?......2OO5 PLAY OFF
BLENKINSOP
And....

10) Where's it all gone? When you experienced all of the above did you ever in your life expect to be now talking about FFP, P&S, VAR, Chairmen, Points Deductions, Hearings, Appeals, Transfer Embargoes, Court Cases, Lawyers, Barristers, QC's, Agents, Advisors and Loopholes? (not talking about just SWFC here - but football in general, as a whole.. as a sport)....NOTHING SURPRISES ME IN FOOTBALL ..

Edited by torryowl

1967 Wednesday 0 - 1 Liverpool

Tommy Craig , Rodger Wylde

John Sheridan

League cup final win

Blackburn 1 - 2 Wednesday promotion season under Big Jack

To watch Wednesday , Wembley

In terms of importance I`m with Vulva......Wilson against Chelsea , for the first time in my life i was gonna see my club in a major final at Wembley

The Blackburn game , see above

Roland Nilsson

And....

10) Where's it all gone? When you experienced all of the above did you ever in your life expect to be now talking about FFP, P&S, VAR, Chairmen, Points Deductions, Hearings, Appeals, Transfer Embargoes, Court Cases, Lawyers, Barristers, QC's, Agents, Advisors and Loopholes? (not talking about just SWFC here - but football in general, as a whole.. as a sport)

I would like nothing better than football to reboot and reset..............rapidly losing interest in all this corporate cr@p

1) What was the first Wednesday match you can remember ever going to?  - Not sure ,. i think it was against Blackburn in 1978/79

2) Who was your Wednesday hero growing up? - David Hirst

3) Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player?  Chris Waddle. 
4) What's the best match you've ever been to? v Blades Semi.
5) What's the best away day you've ever had? v Blades Semi
6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to?  New Wembley
7) What's the best goal you have ever seen at a Wednesday match?  Probably Lineker and Gascoigne taking us apart in 1990. Lineker's second was the result of some sublime play. 

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced?   v Kaislerslautern
9) Who's been the best ever Wednesday defender? Roland Nilsson.  Pure quality

10) Sky and Money. 

Edited by Vaughan

Sheffield Wednesday 4 Chesterfield 0 14-04-1979. I was gobsmacked by the size of the ground

Mel Sterland. He knew what is meant to play for Wednesday

Roland Nilsson. The most professional player I have seen in a Wednesday shirt

Sheffield Wednesday 1 Manchester United 0. Nothing more to say

Notts County 0 Sheffield Wednesday 2 just after we had reached the league cup final. Quite a few drinks in the Aviary and a buzzing away end.

Wembley

Danny Wilson against Chelsea in the semi-final as I knew we were going to the league cup final as even Wednesday couldn't screw it up from that position.

Kaiserslautern in the UEFA cup

Roland Nilsson

And....

My life used to revolve around Wednesday going home and away and thinking there was something strange why others didnt do it. Then I got married and other things become more important financially so the away games went. Kids come along and they get the buzz and wonder why they hero worship the players representing your team when time and time again they let you down. The demands and pressure to play in the Premier league with all its riches and what for? To sit and watch your team camped in its half trying to negate the likes of Man City with a possession percentage of 15%? Sky has ruined football. Give me the days of watching honest footballers taking no prisoners and showing no respect when the so called "big boys" came to town. I might get a dog as they at least give something back.

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

1) What was the first Wednesday match you can remember ever going to? - Reserve match, vs Manchester Utd.  I was only young, it was so cold a man offered me £5 for my Wednesday hat.  That's like £1m to a kid back then, but I still said no.

2) Who was your Wednesday hero growing up? Bannister, then Sheridan.

4) What's the best match you've ever been to? Wednesday 2 - United 1 at Wembley.  It was like a S&M game of football for Wednesday, pleasurable yet tortuous, but thankfully a happy ending.
5) What's the best away day you've ever had? Portsmouth 1 - Wednesday 2.  The year were were destined to go down, Pompey were top of their game and destined to be promoted.  George Best, Milan Manderic, planes with banners flying overhead congratulating them.  Cue, Micheal Reddy last minute winner and amazing scenes.  Wednesday followed it with a 0-0 at home to relegation favourites Millwall I think (maybe Grimsby) which pretty much sent us down.
6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to? Hillsborough, aside from that Anfield.
7) What's the best goal you have ever seen at a Wednesday match? Spurr at home against Plymouth.  There's a lot to that goal that is under-rated, but his control, technique and ultimately the ball flying in the top corner can't be beaten.  For a game I didn't attend, John Harkes away against Derby.  That was in the days when goals weren't so exceptional, and it was out of this world.  Still great to see it on youtube now and then.

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced? Derby away, 2-0 to us, last game of the season I think kept us safe.  Burton or maybe Tudguy got the goals.
9) Who's been the best ever Wednesday defender? throw up between Walker and Nilsson. 

And....

10) Where's it all gone?

We've never been that good, really.  Brief spells such as '90-'93 when we really did have the top teams on the run, but aside from that, we're a very average successful club who didn't make the most of our position.  

Chansiri raised expectations, and then blew it.  When expectations are raised, unless they are met you end up with a seriously dejected atmosphere around the fans and the whole place and now there's no feeling.  I'm not going in to a rant, but when expectations are raised again and players rise to it, then things will return.

1) Leicester City 1986 2-2
2) David Hirst
3) Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player? Andrew Wilson?
4) Wembley 1991, we won something
5) Spora & Kaiserslautern, despite the latter result this was Wednesday in Europe.
6) New Wembley (don't get out much)
7) John Harkes Derby County (A) LC
😎 Kaiserslautern (H)
9) Roland Nilsson

10) In May 2000 if anybody could have seen the next 20 years they would have packed it in there and then, bar the playoff seasons we've never looked like returning to the top flight.

1) What was the first Wednesday match you can remember ever going to? SWFC v Burnley 1966/67 (SWFC 7 Burnley 0)

2) Who was your Wednesday hero growing up? John Fantham

4) What's the best match you've ever been to? SWFC v Santos 1972 (saw Pele but we lost 2 - 0)
5) What's the best away day you've ever had? April 1991 Rumbelows Cup Final SWFC 1 Man Utd 0
6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to? Partizan Belgrade - crap ground but home fans crazy
7) What's the best goal you have ever seen at a Wednesday match? John Harkes away at Derby

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced? 2016 Wembley Play Off Final
9) Who's been the best ever Wednesday defender? Roland Nilsson 

And....

10) Where's it all gone? When you experienced all of the above did you ever in your life expect to be now talking about FFP, P&S, VAR, Chairmen, Points Deductions, Hearings, Appeals, Transfer Embargoes, Court Cases, Lawyers, Barristers, QC's, Agents, Advisors and Loopholes? (not talking about just SWFC here - but football in general, as a whole.. as a sport) TV killed the match day experience

Leicester City at Hillsborough 1966, Derek Dougan scored for Leicester

David Ford

tough one out of Hirst, Waddle and Nillson, plump for Waddle

BDM every Wednesday fans best wet dream

spent many happy hours on the road, especially late 70s early 80s, stand out ones Southend away weekend for the first game in the 3rd tier, Exeter away promotion weekend but im going for Blackburn, Spider and Ticker making it a night to remember

Soccer City, Johannesburg world cup 2010, apart from bumping into a pig outside the ground

TC at the sty

some memorable ones,Kaiserslauten home, Wycombe, Wembley before the play off, but im going for Brighton at home playoff season

Roland - sheer class

And....

10) Where's it all gone? When you experienced all of the above did you ever in your life expect to be now talking about FFP, P&S, VAR, Chairmen, Points Deductions, Hearings, Appeals, Transfer Embargoes, Court Cases, Lawyers, Barristers, QC's, Agents, Advisors and Loopholes? (not talking about just SW

its part of what we are, it would be easy to support someone else, when you meet another Wednesday fan you know they go through the same pain as you, as much as it feels like poo, it means that when you get that rare odd bit of glory it is so satisfying and appreciated far more

1) What was the first Wednesday match you can remember ever going to? Home v Cambridge in April 1981 won 4-1 and Andy McCulloch got a hat trick

2) Who was your Wednesday hero growing up? - Terry Curran and Gary Bannister

3) Who's the greatest ever Wednesday player? - That I have seen Chris Waddle
4) What's the best match you've ever been to? Obvious choices but League Cup win 1991 and FA Cup Semi 1993
5) What's the best away day you've ever had? Think beating Chelsea 2-0 in League Cup Semi 1991. Was first football trip to London, was 15 and all the coach was full with people from the same school. 
6) What's the best football ground you've ever been to? - Love the traditional famous grounds like Old Trafford, Anfield, Highbury. The new grounds are so plastic and soulless
7) What's the best goal you have ever seen at a Wednesday match? - Remember John Sheridan v Sheff U in ZDS Cup in 1989

8 )  What's the best ever Sheffield Wednesday atmosphere you've experienced? - Chelsea at home League Cup Semi in 1991. My ears were ringing afterwards.
9) Who's been the best ever Wednesday defender? - Always really love defenders like Mike Lyons , Nigel Pearson and Des Walker but think Roland Nilsson 

10. Its money, Rich chairman (mainly from aboard) using clubs as ego trips and TV that have made modern football so soulless. Its never going to go back though.