Kieran Westwood

1 hour ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Dawson's errors have been tame compared to the absolute clangers that Westwood was too regularly dropping. He got dropped then picked up his standard injury when required to take a turn on the bench. He made himself unselectable. It's quite right that Wildsmith rather than Westwood now competes with Dawson. I just hope that Westwood's contract is weighted with appearance bonuses rather than just massive basic wages. His career is on the downward slope. Hopefully we will find a way to offload him even if it means we have to part pay his wages in a loan move.

Slightly over the top don’t you think , how fans turn on players on here is quite frankly bizarre . 

1 minute ago, FlyingOwl said:

I still stand by that two of our weakest managers have had problems with some strong dressing room personalities.

A good manager handles and relishes that.

Alternatively a weak manager avoids confrontation with the big personalities and makes an easy life for himself. 

I don't think any of us can speculate on the right and wrong way to treat these big personalities (hutch, Westwood etc) as we just don't know how everyone has behaved. 

17 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

What exactly are his wages ? 

Don’t know but in the top 3 or 4 earners I’d say. Can’t be carrying people like that in the team - Rhodes is another one. Can’t have our pants pulled down either. I imagine there is lots of interest in both but imagine most clubs still want us to pay a chunk of their wage.

17 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Don’t know but in the top 3 or 4 earners I’d say. Can’t be carrying people like that in the team - Rhodes is another one. Can’t have our pants pulled down either. I imagine there is lots of interest in both but imagine most clubs still want us to pay a chunk of their wage.

I agree with you , it’s obvious we can’t carry on like this but I find it amusing how some seem to know players wages or just make wild assumptions. It’s the clubs fault for handing out big wages , if that is the case ,not the players. The way players are apparently banned from playing is a bigger concern for me .

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

I still stand by that two of our weakest managers have had problems with some strong dressing room personalities.

A good manager handles and relishes that.

Cloughie and Fergie would have sorted them out in 5 minutes. 

Guest Therealrealist
5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Exactly

And because Monk's doing it he's slated for being weak

lol

You couldn't make it up

Jos banished him as well..but csnt remember you backing jos

For me, what I'm more bothered about than anything else is knowing that the manager has full control of his dressing room.

If some of the personalities cause problems - problems that might require some form of 'management', I'd much rather the manager just sack them off, irrespective of their abilities on the pitch.

No, I'm with Monk on this. If the only way to get control of this squad is to reduce its quality, then that's a consequence we should all be willing to accept.

Those that are having a moan about results and the quality of the football and secondary issues like that, ought to sit down and think about the bigger picture; and if you can't take the ultimate pleasure in knowing the manager's got full control of the dressing room as we get trounced by Brentford 5 nowt, then you're doing football wrong.

I just hope that one day along with all the silly and irrelevant metrics that you see related to possession and shots on goal, that we'll see one that captures how much control the manager's had of the dressing room that week in training. I'm sure I won't be the only one celebrating it like a goal.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Dawson's errors have been tame compared to the absolute clangers that Westwood was too regularly dropping. He got dropped then picked up his standard injury when required to take a turn on the bench. He made himself unselectable. It's quite right that Wildsmith rather than Westwood now competes with Dawson. I just hope that Westwood's contract is weighted with appearance bonuses rather than just massive basic wages. His career is on the downward slope. Hopefully we will find a way to offload him even if it means we have to part pay his wages in a loan move.

What were these 'clangers'?

He conceded 15 goals in the 14 games played when he was first choice earlier in the season.

I've had a look back at those goals.

1. Reading away 3-1. Good Meite header,  KW no chance at saving.

2. Millwall away 0-1. Corner KW came for corner, didn't get there but defence at fault no one challenged giving Smith a free header.

3 and 4. Preston away 1-2. Both penalties.

5 and 6 Q.P.R. home 1-2. Both scored by Hughill, KW no chance with either.

7 Fulham home 1-1. KW saved first attempt, Cairney slotted rebound in, can't fault.

8. Middlesbrough away 4-1. McNair lashed in after ricochet in box from corner, no fault KW.

9. Hull away 0-1. Great Eaves header to top corner, KW no chance.

10 and 11. Blackburn away 1-2. 1st Adebayo towering looping header KW off his line, could be argued if he should have stayed on his line.

2nd Buckley shot, massive deflection KW no chance.

12 and 13. Swansea home 2-2. KW under pressure from 2 attackers dropped corner, Ayew hooked in. Another corner, poor defending KW                           missed punch, defenders switched off allowing Willmot to poke in.

14 and 15. West Brom. away 1-2. Robson-Kanu through one on one, can't fault KW. 2nd Palmer let ball over top go, KW had to come out and                      challenge attacker who went down easily after slightest of touches. KW unlucky. Austin scored penalty.

Other games played and kept a clean sheet.

Luton home 1-0

Huddersfield away 2-0

Wigan home 1-0

Leeds home 0-0

So out of the 15 goals conceded I think only one could be classed a 'clanger', the dropped corner v Swansea, though he was jumping with 2 attackers.

What I noticed though watching those matches was how many cracking saves he made to keep us in or win us games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

He conceded 15 goals in the 14 games played when he was first choice earlier in the season.

2. Millwall away 0-1. Corner KW came for corner, didn't get there but defence at fault no one challenged giving Smith a free header.

7 Fulham home 1-1. KW saved first attempt, Cairney slotted rebound in, can't fault.

8. Middlesbrough away 4-1. McNair lashed in after ricochet in box from corner, no fault KW.

10 and 11. Blackburn away 1-2. 1st Adebayo towering looping header KW off his line, could be argued if he should have stayed on his line.

12 and 13. Swansea home 2-2. KW under pressure from 2 attackers dropped corner, Ayew hooked in. Another corner, poor defending KW                           missed punch, defenders switched off allowing Willmot to poke in.

14 and 15. West Brom. away 1-2. Robson-Kanu through one on one, can't fault KW. 2nd Palmer let ball over top go, KW had to come out and                      challenge attacker who went down easily after slightest of touches. KW unlucky. Austin scored penalty.

Luton home 1-0

Huddersfield away 2-0

Wigan home 1-0

Leeds home 0-0

So out of the 15 goals conceded I think only one could be classed a 'clanger', the dropped corner v Swansea, though he was jumping with 2 attackers.

What I noticed though watching those matches was how many cracking saves he made to keep us in or win us games.

Very lucky we defended well at Reading as it was a stupid sending off.

100% his fault at Millwall as he was in no mans land.

I think Westwood is top drawer but you’ve been very kind in the assessment of some of those goals. It’s partly his fault as his performances over the years have meant his standards have been set so high. 

I think this season has shown that he’s not the same GK we once had. 

7 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Luton home 1-0

Huddersfield away 2-0

Wigan home 1-0

Leeds home 0-0

Hi keiren 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Agree. BTW I don't downplay Westwood's former excellence but based on most recent performances and injuries he is not surprisingly on the way down given his age and injury fallibility. The claims that he is still the club's best keeper and to use it to, unfairly IMO, pillory a younger keeper is what irks. Wildsmith will kop for similar from some quarters inevitably too until KW leaves IMO.

Me neither, he’s a great goalkeeper and was the best outside the PL for 3-4 years but this season and part of last he has been nowhere near his best. 

11 hours ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Not at all. It's bizarre however how a young  player who's come through the ranks gets pelters for the slightest error when the more senior yet demonstrably fading player's absolute howlers get brushed aside. 

What's over the top is for the youngster having to listen to his own fans chanting the name of the player he's replaced. Great support!

Absolute howlers ??  Slightest error , Haha talk about exaggerating to emphasise your point and obvious dislike of Westwood . You are expressing your opinion , other fans do in other ways , rightly or wrongly but booing our own players whilst playing can’t be helpful . So who is to “blame“ for Wildsmith playing instead of Dawson ? 

2 hours ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

IMO rise tinted specs. Polar opposite to the magnifying of smaller errors by Dawson probably because he'd replaced a favourite who in the past had indeed been excellent. 

The most recent evidence is of a fading player. Joe and Cam are the future.

Bang on

People are trying to revise history when it comes to Westwood's performances. They won't / can't get away with it though because we all saw Westwood's dire performances and errors last time he was in the side.

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

GM - “How’s Dawson’s injury doing?”

Lacky - “Not going to be fit boss”

GM - “Young Wildsmith?”

Lacky - “Not going to be fit either boss”

GM - “Jonesy?”

Lacky - “Nope, he’s seeing a shrink after a crisis of confidence”

GM - “Best tell Atdhe to start practising then”.

Edited by theowlsman