Kieran Westwood

11 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

We need to try and cut our losses somehow in the summer. We can’t afford to keep paying a player who is frozen out - that’s sheer madness.

We just need a PL club who are looking for a back up keeper to take him off our hands for a nominal fee. I think his wages would scare most Championship clubs off.

That’s the only way we will get rid of him , having a premier league club sign him as their past it ,token goalkeeper . Scott Carson , Richard Wright , Andy lonergan , John ruddy and rob green to name a few have done this in recent years .

Championship sides aren’t going to sign him as his wages are high and he isn’t any good anymore . 

1 minute ago, james o connor said:

That’s the only way we will get rid of him , having a premier league club sign him as their past it ,token goalkeeper . Scott Carson , Richard Wright , Andy lonergan , John ruddy and rob green to name a few have done this in recent years .

Championship sides aren’t going to sign him as his wages are high and he isn’t any good anymore . 

Huddersfield agreed to take him in January, but we wanted a fee.... should have taken that and put in a clause in for them to pay a nominal fee if they stay up

9 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Only issue is that bigger clubs do it so that they can add them to their CL squads as a British player and means they can put them on the bench and put more exotic names on the bench. English CL teams have done that with Carson, Grant, Wright and Turnbull. Fact that Westwood is ROI may go against him on that front.

Been a very good keeper but again you’ve got to question is attitude and whether he is one of those who is disruptive given 2 managers have banished him and hutch.

Time to get rid. Premier club looking for a back up with no fee involved looks the only plausible solution. 

2 minutes ago, james o connor said:

He's still an excellent Championship keeper. He conceded 15 goals in the 14 games he played this season. 

I've no idea what his wages are but in the current climate few clubs are going to be offering big salaries. Unless he can get a 2 year deal playing with another club,  he can just sit at home for the next year doing nothing and pick up the same amount in wages.

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Been a very good keeper but again you’ve got to question is attitude and whether he is one of those who is disruptive given 2 managers have banished him and hutch.

Time to get rid. Premier club looking for a back up with no fee involved looks the only plausible solution. 

Yet Bruce who is the only manager I rate out of the last 3 saw fit to make him is first choice keeper and give him a new 2 year contract. 

Do you think an experienced manger like Bruce would do that with a player who has a 'bad attitude ' and is 'disruptive'?

16 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Reckon he will be given a free transfer at the end of the season. 

We cant do that. We can offer him to clubs for no fee, but we cant just stop paying him and say see you later. 

1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Yet Bruce who is the only manager I rate out of the last 3 saw fit to make him is first choice keeper and give him a new 2 year contract. 

Do you think an experienced manger like Bruce would do that with a player who has a 'bad attitude ' and is 'disruptive'?

I see your point but 2 managers have frozen him out. I don’t like Jos or Monk either but there is something strange with Westwood and hutch. I’m sure it will all come out in the wash at some point. They are both good players and would walk into our team but they have been cast aside. Very strange 

4 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Isnt the issue with Westwood and Hutch availability? These managers would rather have a useless player 100 percent of the time than a great one 50 percent of the time. Maddness IMO. 

1 minute ago, Daizan10 said:

We cant do that. We can offer him to clubs for no fee, but we cant just stop paying him and say see you later. 

that’s what I was meaning. I don’t think we will demand a fee for him, the club will just want his wages off the book. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Yes but it's like I said in another post Bruce was probably a strong personality manager not allowing dominant players to take the ******** and big enough to knock him out should he start, you didn't see many players take the ******** out of Big Ron or big Jack 

15 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Amazing really. little over 18 months ago he was on his way out, cast aside by the manager but despite interest there was no chance of him leaving until he ran down his contract, such was his wage.

When the manager got sacked he was brought back in but still no new contract. By the time Steve Bruce had the chance to assess his squad, Westwood got offered 2 years. Given the way it has gone again you can only assume Bruce played a big part in influencing the decision to give him a new contract and knowing how much Bruce valued him, Westwood was able to negotiate 2 years rather than 1. 

Now we are back to paying him lots for nothing, so much so we have had to give a short-term contract extension to a goalkeeper who hasn't played a league game for anyone since 2016 to cover just in case. 

And that’s why I don’t want a refund on my season ticket, because every penny is spent so wisely. 

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I see your point but 2 managers have frozen him out. I don’t like Jos or Monk either but there is something strange with Westwood and hutch. I’m sure it will all come out in the wash at some point. They are both good players and would walk into our team but they have been cast aside. Very strange 

As I have repeated many times Jos froze Westwood and Hutch out because he didn't think they were physically up to the demands of the championship, he wanted to play younger fitter players instead. It wasn't just those 2 that Jos took this stance with,  Boyd and Jones suffered the same fate.

Now I don't why Monk has done what he has done, could be the same reason Jos did it or something entirely different.

IMO what it does show though is if you replace the best and most experienced players in their respective positions with inferior players, results can suffer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

As I have repeated many times Jos froze Westwood and Hutch out because he didn't think they were physically up to the demands of the championship, he wanted to play younger fitter players instead. It wasn't just those 2 that Jos took this stance with,  Boyd and Jones suffered the same fate.

Now I don't why Monk has done what he has done, could be the same reason Jos did it or something entirely different.

IMO what it does show though is if you replace the best and most experienced players in their respective positions with inferior players, results can suffer.

The trade off is perhaps proven to be worth it. 50 percent of games with good players vs 100 percent with worse = better results.