Kieran Westwood

5 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

As I have repeated many times Jos froze Westwood and Hutch out because he didn't think they were physically up to the demands of the championship, he wanted to play younger fitter players instead. It wasn't just those 2 that Jos took this stance with,  Boyd and Jones suffered the same fate.

Now I don't why Monk has done what he has done, could be the same reason Jos did it or something entirely different.

IMO what it does show though is if you replace the best and most experienced players in their respective positions with inferior players, results can suffer.

Monk said in the New Year exactly that. They can’t stay fit so they’re of no use to him. 

Even if people come at that with how many games they both played before Christmas, none of us know what was sacrificed to get them on the pitch. The sounds have been that neither trained as much as the rest of the squad to preserve themselves for the games. If Monk doesn’t want players like that in his squad it’s understandable. On top of that when you look at this run of fixtures now due to the condensed finish, even if both hadn’t been frozen out the chances of them both staying fit for even 4-5 games is realistically very slim. 

For me it’s always been pretty obvious from a footballing point of view why Monk doesn’t pick them anymore. 

Just now, Daizan10 said:

The trade off is perhaps proven to be worth it. 50 percent of games with good players vs 100 percent with worse = better results. 

Maybe but as I said in the Hutch thread, between Jos leaving and Monk ditching him, he played in 44 league games in a calendar year under Bullen and Bruce. He was available for nearly every game. Didn't Hutch say last year that physically he was fitter than he'd ever been and was over his injury problems of the past.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Maybe but as I said in the Hutch thread, between Jos leaving and Monk ditching him, he played in 44 league games in a calendar year under Bullen and Bruce. He was available for nearly every game. Didn't Hutch say last year that physically he was fitter than he'd ever been and was over his injury problems of the past.

Then its just brainless and i cant understand it. 

4 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Not on his performances this season before he was rightly dropped. He was dire, dropping (literally) some right howlers. 

I'm not doubting he shouldn't have been dropped but Calamity Cam has been a disaster this season.

If your dropping for poor form, then that has to go both ways.

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
25 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

I memory is hazy can someone explain to me (before bosman)  what happened when a player was at a club and his contract ran out? Could the club still demand the full fee ?

Genuinely forgot.

Yes they could..thats why bosman went to court and won..it did nothing for him but handed all the power to the players

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I just can't believe it's June 2020 and people STILL believe Hutch and Westwood.

Believe them in what respect?

Somehow  just don't think it is as black and white of an issue. 

Given that this suggests you don't believe them, what don't you believe in terms of Westwood, what do you believe he has done?

Do you believe everything Monk says? I remember him doing interviews before the lock down in which he couldn't look the reporter in the face when giving answers, which I seem to recall you found questionable.  

Guest REDAs_biG_piECE
6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I just can't believe it's June 2020 and people STILL believe Hutch and Westwood.

As opposed to believing one of the club propaganda outlets...

Guest REDAs_biG_piECE

Simple facts

- Westwood is contracted to the club 

- Westwood is the best player in his position at the club by a country mile

Not interested in whether he’s a ******** or whether he’s a saint Westwood should be the clubs number one choice goalkeeper when fit and anything else is apologetic claptrap 

A manager gets paid a kings ransom to manage the best tools at his disposal not take the easy route and play nice lads cos they are easy to handle 

Guest Therealrealist
11 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

Wasn't there some tribunal which then set the fee?

Yes but it was ruled ilegal..freedom of movement..restriction of trade etc..he wer bang average and made nowt..but players all over the world shud be thanking him everyday..wednesday hav had a load er crap 'bosmans'

1 hour ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Not on his performances this season before he was rightly dropped. He was dire, dropping (literally) some right howlers. 

You can’t say things like that Westwood is the best goalkeeper in the Championship according to all those qualified managers on Owlstalk. It seems sometimes contributing to OT leads to memory loss.  When he played this season there were some real howlers and not forgetting the injuries picked up in the warm ups.  No longer the reliable keeper he was 2/3 years ago. 
The club should let him go for free and get a signing on fee in lieu of wages if someone wants him. 

21 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

We need to try and cut our losses somehow in the summer. We can’t afford to keep paying a player who is frozen out - that’s sheer madness.

We just need a PL club who are looking for a back up keeper to take him off our hands for a nominal fee. I think his wages would scare most Championship clubs off.

What exactly are his wages ? 

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

This is a MUST WATCH if you are a Westwood fan (or even if you're not)

I don’t even know what I can reply to this 😂