FERNANDO FORESTIERI - Megathread

7 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

One of these players was recently voted the Premier League's 57th best ever player by 4-4-2 magazine, the other has never so much as set foot on the field at that level.

The club career of one of them reads as Lazio (twice), Juventus (twice), AC Milan, Napoli, an attempt by Manchester United to buy him and playing a part on teams that won two national championships, four European titles (three of them modest to be fair) and Champions League runner-up. The other's career has taken in Genoa, Siena, Vicenza, Malaga, Udinese and Watford with his highest achievement starting 10 games in Watford's promotion season. According to Wikipedia, his lone individual honour is player of the month for Wednesday in March 2016.

As for international recognition, Di Canio was up against the likes of Baggio, Vialli, Totti, Casiraghi, Del Piero, Ravenelli, Vieri, Inzaghi, Mancini and Zola who only had 526 appearances between them. He also had feuds with at least two of Italy's managers during his career and was, let's face it, well known for his volcanic moods.

Even Wednesday's club secretary at the time has publicly expressed his opinion that the club let Di Canio down, as well as at least three of his teammates in recent interviews. It's well known that he had to arrange and pay for his own representation at the FA disciplinary hearing, which no senior club figure bothered to attend. The club suggested he return to Italy to avoid the press attention and then lied to the media that the he had taken off without permission and that they did not know where he was, even though Sky Sports found him, in his home town no less. The player then appealed to the club for a clear the air meeting, which as I recall, was rebuffed. After that, he climbed the scaffold that Richards had built for him and decided he was done here. A few comments about 'betraying the club' and all the proud, chest-beating fools were taken in (this pattern has repeated itself in recent days with the warrior and player of the year Fletcher lambasted for rejecting a short term contract extension). Some of them remain embittered to this day.

Who are Di Canio’s 3 ex team mates that you refer to? Do you have a link, I would be interested to read them.

Edited by sexpistol

5 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

Who are Di Canio’s 3 ex team mates that you refer to? Do you have a link, I would be interested to read them.

Here's one of them I've found by Petter Rudi...

Known to many as the most talented players to have played for Wednesday Di Canio, banned for 11 matches for his push on Alcock, was sent home to Italy, didn’t hear from the club for several weeks and was eventually sold to West Ham at a knockdown price.

“If I remember correctly he was not banned from training also, the club banned him,” Rudi said.

“They didn't have to do that. He felt the club was not supporting him. Maybe the 11 game ban was punishment enough.

“If you suspend him from training you make the statement that what he did was not OK, but it made it very difficult for him to come back and play for the club. Maybe it was not handled well enough by the club.

“Paolo was fantastic. He was so involved in training and everything came down to the fact he really wanted us to perform. Football was everything to him.

“He was putting a lot of pressure on all the players and himself, he was such a big personality and sometimes it was too much for him.

“I have not met many more serious players than him for training and other things. Of course in some situations, he crossed the line.”

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/di-canios-push-big-rons-sacking-and-injury-revelations-petter-rudi-his-time-sheffield-wednesday-2536437

52 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Hang on a second

Have I got this right?

Has Ian REALLY compared Forestieri  to Di Canio?

lol

Please tell me that's true

If so it could be the comedy event of the year

Go on then.......sell me Di Canio's Wednesday career over Forestieri's

Just now, Ian said:

Go on then.......sell me Di Canio's Wednesday career over Forestieri's

I don't need to

You know why?

Because every single other Sheffield Wednesday fan who saw these two players play will find your comparison ridiculous.

You're out on your own with this one mate

lol

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Ian said:

So one then...not 3.....which may be representative of the rest of your post on the matter

Graham Mackrell (who was only club secretary) and Niclas Alexandersson were two of them. I spent quite a while looking but couldn't find them. There was a lengthy thread on here they were mentioned in about four months ago.

You stick to lauding Forestieri as better than Di Canio and Waddle.

The most talented individual we’ve had since being relegated from the premier league. That first season he was sensational the second good but since then only flashes. I still think playing him in the second play off campaign when he was clearly injured finished him as a top championship player he was never the same after . Should we have sold him after the Norwich incident, of course but hindsight is a wonderful thing. The chairman did the right thing for the club and just like hirsty making the right decision at the time doesn’t always work out 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

One of these players was recently voted the Premier League's 57th best ever player by 4-4-2 magazine, the other has never so much as set foot on the field at that level.

The club career of one of them reads as Lazio (twice), Juventus (twice), AC Milan, Napoli, an attempt by Manchester United to buy him and playing a part on teams that won two national championships, four European titles (three of them modest to be fair) and Champions League runner-up. The other's career has taken in Genoa, Siena, Vicenza, Malaga, Udinese and Watford with his highest achievement starting 10 games in Watford's promotion season. According to Wikipedia, his lone individual honour is player of the month for Wednesday in March 2016.

As for international recognition, Di Canio was up against the likes of Baggio, Vialli, Totti, Casiraghi, Del Piero, Ravenelli, Vieri, Inzaghi, Mancini and Zola who only had 526 appearances between them. He also had feuds with at least two of Italy's managers during his career and was, let's face it, well known for his volcanic moods.

Even Wednesday's club secretary at the time has publicly expressed his opinion that the club let Di Canio down, as well as at least three of his teammates in recent interviews. It's well known that he had to arrange and pay for his own representation at the FA disciplinary hearing, which no senior club figure bothered to attend. The club suggested he return to Italy to avoid the press attention and then lied to the media that the he had taken off without permission and that they did not know where he was, even though Sky Sports found him, in his home town no less. The player then appealed to the club for a clear the air meeting, which as I recall, was rebuffed. After that, he climbed the scaffold that Richards had built for him and decided he was done here. A few comments about 'betraying the club' and all the proud, chest-beating fools were taken in (this pattern has repeated itself in recent days with the warrior and player of the year Fletcher lambasted for rejecting a short term contract extension). Some of them remain embittered to this day.

Your biography of Di Canio could have been written by the man himself. Whilst nothing is incorrect on there here is another, equally factual, version

3 years of the first 5 at Lazio were spent outside the top flight, the rest struggling to avoid relegation. Moved to Juventus (not sure why some think twice) where he was far from first choice and left after a bust up with the manager, Moved to Napoli and then quickly to AC Milan where he once again was far from first choice and left after a, you guessed it, bust up with the manager.

He then leaves Italy to play in one of the worst leagues in Europe and forces a move after refusing to join Celtic on their pre season tour

Moves to Wednesday and is suspended by the FA for 11 games for pushing a referee.

Moves to a mid table West Ham team where he shows all his class by sitting on his arse for part of a game in a paddy over refereeing decisions and during his time there has a major bust up with the manager and bottles a move to Man United

Moves to mighty Charlton Athletic where he fails to score a goal other than 4 penalties 

Returns to Lazio but fall outs with his team mates, coaches and club officials lead to them letting him go and he moves to a third tier team that he fails to inspire to promotion.

No senior international caps because. surprise surprise, there's other decent players who are also Italian

But Danny Wilson couldn't handle him and Forestieri didn't play at Norwich

Edited by Ian

I don’t go along with the “shud a sold I’m for £15m” posts

If Chansiri had done that when he was at the top of his game there would have been a meltdown to end all meltdown on here. Chansiri wasn’t to know that FF would use the next three years to take the p*ss out of everyone 

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

I don’t go along with the “shud a sold I’m for £15m” posts

If Chansiri had done that when he was at the top of his game there would have been a meltdown to end all meltdown on here. Chansiri wasn’t to know that FF would use the next three years to take the p*ss out of everyone 

Refusing to put on the blue & white and play for the club whilst under contract was taking the p*ss out of everyone.

I’d say it was a big enough clue that FF was not worth the trouble.

How DC couldn’t see that I will never know.

And I doubt there would have been a meltdown within the wider fanbase.  Social media (and that’s all that this forum is) just gives the extreme elements of the fanbase a voice.  Most fans would have just taken it as a sensible way of sustainably running the club.

Edited by Westfield Owl
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tommo_ said:

Di Canio - Lamborghini 

Forestieri - Fiat

Haha love the analogy.

Especially given that one of the factors that contributed to Forestieri’s steep decline was Carlos fitness tests being equivalent to kicking the tyres.

7 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

The most talented individual we’ve had since being relegated from the premier league. That first season he was sensational the second good but since then only flashes. I still think playing him in the second play off campaign when he was clearly injured finished him as a top championship player he was never the same after . Should we have sold him after the Norwich incident, of course but hindsight is a wonderful thing. The chairman did the right thing for the club and just like hirsty making the right decision at the time doesn’t always work out 

I don’t think it’s just a coincidence that we’ve seen less of Fernando, since we stopped playing football. He thrived in that side that Carlos fashioned, with players comfortable on the ball, and a strike partner on the same wavelength. We saw flashes in season two, when it was still about keeping the ball, but his attacking talents were being stifled by the bosses cagey approach. 
Since then, it’s been all about looking for Fletcher’s head, under Jos, Bruce, and now Monk, long ball.  As I’ve said many times, Forestieri is never going to thrive on knock downs and flick ons. Once we decided we were going to play this way, we should have sold him, it’s as simple as that.

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t think it’s just a coincidence that we’ve seen less of Fernando, since we stopped playing football. He thrived in that side that Carlos fashioned, with players comfortable on the ball, and a strike partner on the same wavelength. We saw flashes in season two, when it was still about keeping the ball, but his attacking talents were being stifled by the bosses cagey approach. 
Since then, it’s been all about looking for Fletcher’s head, under Jos, Bruce, and now Monk, long ball.  As I’ve said many times, Forestieri is never going to thrive on knock downs and flick ons. Once we decided we were going to play this way, we should have sold him, it’s as simple as that.

Who?

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Hooper

Hooper and Forestieri was a brilliant front two, if you discount goals scored and points won.

It was the perfect example of the importance of strike partners gelling TOGETHER.

Hooper - brilliant scorer

Forestieri - brilliant scorer

Duo - dry as a desert

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Hooper and Forestieri was a brilliant front two, if you discount goals scored and points won.

It was the perfect example of the importance of strike partners gelling TOGETHER.

Hooper - brilliant scorer

Forestieri - brilliant scorer

Duo - dry as a desert

You may well be right, but sometimes you have to trust your eyes over statistics.