BREAKING NEWS - Kieran Lee extends contract at Sheffield Wednesday

6 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Not sure it's true that pkayers ate paid 2 months wages when they are released. If they're released 30 June then the salary they have been paid at the end of June would see them through July, as it does for anybody. It will mean that players agreeing to extend will now have to be paid for July, that's one of the reasons why divs 1 & 2 have agreed to end the season.

You don’t have to believe me. I’m saying what I read. When players sign for a club at the end of that contract they supposedly receive 2 months wages. Hence why clubs were hoping players would agree to an extra month and hence why a lot of players aren’t willing to play because they aren’t earning anything they wouldn’t regardless, why risk an injury for no extra gain.

11 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Not sure it's true that pkayers ate paid 2 months wages when they are released. If they're released 30 June then the salary they have been paid at the end of June would see them through July, as it does for anybody. It will mean that players agreeing to extend will now have to be paid for July, that's one of the reasons why divs 1 & 2 have agreed to end the season.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.fourfourtwo.com/amp/features/player-what-its-be-out-contract-footballer-summer

I can’t find the exact article I read. But this is from FourFourTwo from a couple years ago. It’s a player whose out of contract explaining what it’s like to be out of contract. 

“It was mid-June when I opened the Daily Mail on the beach and went straight to the sport section. I didn’t have a club, but had no plans to sign on the dole either. My contract ran out on July 1, but clubs have to pay you an extra month if you haven’t found a new employer.”

Guest LittleG
11 minutes ago, Drewswfc said:

Rather give Lee a year's contract than joey

I would but that's not the question. I would release them both.

Guest LittleG
19 minutes ago, 0114 said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.fourfourtwo.com/amp/features/player-what-its-be-out-contract-footballer-summer

I can’t find the exact article I read. But this is from FourFourTwo from a couple years ago. It’s a player whose out of contract explaining what it’s like to be out of contract. 

“It was mid-June when I opened the Daily Mail on the beach and went straight to the sport section. I didn’t have a club, but had no plans to sign on the dole either. My contract ran out on July 1, but clubs have to pay you an extra month if you haven’t found a new employer.”

Didn't know it was just one extra month. To be honest if a player has been paid extra to sit at home, I would have thought in the current climate, most players would agree to playing for a few matches in July. Helps their fitness and puts them in shop window.

To me, it seems to indicate that he has agreed a longer extension in principle too, otherwise he is taking a huge risk - if he was to get another serious injury in the next few games, and is then out of contract, he's in trouble. Either we have given him some assurances of some sort, perhaps even an offer of a coaching role if it does go wrong, or he is an absolute legend for willing to risk it for the Wednesday cause. Fletcher is in the same situation, but it might be more complicated due to the higher wages.

12 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Didn't know it was just one extra month. To be honest if a player has been paid extra to sit at home, I would have thought in the current climate, most players would agree to playing for a few matches in July. Helps their fitness and puts them in shop window.

They don’t get extra to sit at home, they will get the exact same regardless of if they play or not. 

I doubt many players think the way you put it. An injury in those 9 games could jeopardise your next move. So for no extra financial gain, why would they play? Hence why we’ve seen Ayala at Boro, Irvine at Hull and Taylor at Charlton saying they won’t play and I’m sure there’ll be more when team sheets come out Saturday. 

Guest LittleG
10 minutes ago, 0114 said:

They don’t get extra to sit at home, they will get the exact same regardless of if they play or not. 

I doubt many players think the way you put it. An injury in those 9 games could jeopardise your next move. So for no extra financial gain, why would they play? Hence why we’ve seen Ayala at Boro, Irvine at Hull and Taylor at Charlton saying they won’t play and I’m sure there’ll be more when team sheets come out Saturday. 

They've been paid an extra month so I would say that's being paid for doing nothing. Out of all the players out of contract at different clubs who have been asked to play a few games in July, it will be interesting to see how many have refused to play. You could be right, there may considerably more. Anyway we may just have to agree to disagree, have a good day.

1 minute ago, LittleG said:

They've been paid an extra month so I would say that's being paid for doing nothing. Out of all the players out of contract at different clubs who have been asked to play a few games in July, it will be interesting to see how many have refused to play. You could be right, there may considerably more. Anyway we may just have to agree to disagree, have a good day.

It’s not extra. Extra means more than what they was supposed to receive. It’s exactly what the club has agreed for them to receive, club won’t lose more and player won’t gain more. 

No problem. Said at beginning you don’t have to believe me. But this is something that’s really happening. 

3 hours ago, oldishowl said:

We have played better this season when Lee has been in the team.

He is a proper footballer

That’s because when he plays we have 11 on the pitch no the 10 when cat gets picked

Glad he’s staying for July.

Beyond that im not sure. He might not be on much now and if he’s happy to stay and be senior member of the team to help some younger players then that might work. But it’s unlikely he will get back to what he was in 2017 and as others have said we need to take our chance to change the first 11.

I wonder if DC might struggle with the idea of letting some of these “Wednesday family” players walk away though. 

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 09.25.34.jpg

Kieran Lee has agreed to finish the season with #SWFC

On-loan players have agreed to stay too & extensions being finalised.

Josh Windass to be given time to recover from injury before decision made on his loan.

He is on low money and never signed at 25k a deal at his peak. Prob only only 6k a wk my guess 

No surprise to me that he is the first to sign up for the short extension. 

What a genuine pro and what a player he has been. I’d love to think that this lay-off has helped Kieran work on his strength. If he could get back to even 80% of what he was we are in clover to July.

• Like 3