BREAKING NEWS - Kieran Lee extends contract at Sheffield Wednesday

6 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

I’d extend him for a year as a back up based on our current situation 

If we went down - he would be a very good player in L1

Me too.

I'd have also bet good money on him agreeing to finish the season regardless of a new contract.

He comes across as someone who has pride in the shirt.

• Like 1

Guest struckanerve

Glad he has been signed up again, pure quality.

Edited by struckanerve

4 hours ago, 0114 said:

It’s not extra. Extra means more than what they was supposed to receive. It’s exactly what the club has agreed for them to receive, club won’t lose more and player won’t gain more. 

No problem. Said at beginning you don’t have to believe me. But this is something that’s really happening. 

But in this case he has agreed to sign an extension to play for an extra month. I would expect this includes also getting paid extra. As you say, had he, or anyone else chosen not to play in July they would still get the months pay as severance from their old contract but I think they will be asking for, and being offered more to play. 

Guest LondonOwl313
8 hours ago, LittleG said:

Difficult to justify giving him a 1 year extension; not the same player anymore. 

8 hours ago, wilyfox said:

I really hope we don't bottle it and dish out 1yr deals like smarties. Hold ya nerve Wednesday. We need change. 

All true but we've already resigned Pelupessy.. would rather have retained Lee as a squad player tbh, at least he can play football even if his legs have gone

Guest LittleG
59 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

All true but we've already resigned Pelupessy.. would rather have retained Lee as a squad player tbh, at least he can play football even if his legs have gone

Most would prefer Lee to JP, however JP should not have been given a new contract and neither should Lee. 

Glad he has signed for the next 9 games but that should be it 

Leaves with our best wishes and we both move on 

We need fresh new faces, players with a fire in their belly to succeed and at a age where they can improve 

Lee has been a good player but he ain't gonna get better 

He will be a good player for a midtable league 1 team next season 

Edited by WelshOwl74

24 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Glad he has signed for the next 9 games but that should be it 

Leaves with our best wishes and we both move on 

We need fresh new faces, players with a fire in their belly to succeed and at a age where they can improve 

Lee has been a good player but he ain't gonna get better 

He will be a good player for a midtable league 1 team next season 

Wish I could argue against this but unfortunately you are right. His body simply no longer allows him to do what his football brain is capable of. Such a shame.  

IF he'd be on a modest wage, then he's one of the few I'd actually look to keep for next season.  A centre midfield selection of Bannan, Luongo, Lee, Hunt, Pelupessey and a new signing isn't the worst considering our situation (don't get me wrong I wouldn't have re-signed Pelupessey, but that's another thread, and we absolutely need to sign a new starting option centre mid - we can't expect Lee to be that anymore).

I don't see us being in the market for two new starting centre mids; you'd think we'll be looking at Bannan plus Luongo/new signing as our starting options, so its a bit of a luxury we can't afford to sign two new starting centre mids, unless we're offloading one of Bannan or Luongo.  And then if you are saying Hunt is to have a breakthrough season, he needs to be the backup to those main 3 of Bannan, Luongo and the new signing at the very least.  You then, if all are happy in terms of the finances, may as well keep Lee around as an experienced backup.

Although he isn't the player he was, I don't think he's done.  The penny has probably dropped he won't be able to cut it physically as the box-to-box link man anymore, but for such an intelligent footballer who is good on the ball and reads the game so well, he can no doubt adapt his game.  You can't say that for many players in our squad.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Best news in a long time. Need everyone we can for the run in. Great servant and would be a real shame if he left and was not given a send off by us at Hillsborough.

Agree. Fantastic professional. In an age of preening prima donna footballers this lad deserves an absolutely fantastic send off the day he leaves SWFC. (Unfortunately we may be all sat at home watching it on a screen....)

• Like 1

We should have kept Lee on a one year deal instead of that waste of space Pelupessy. However I don’t feel there is space for both of them in the squad as I don’t think they will both be automatic starters, and it would be nice to have people like Hunt in and around the team. Lee deserves a proper send off but I feel he needs to leave at the end of the season. 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 1

KL is 32 next week.

He's had several years of niggles and injuries; gradually increasing his time out of the team.

The injuries seem to affected his attributes of energy and movement particularly in getting into the opposites' box.

At any other championship club, he would be moved on, in preparation for the future.

The finish to the season is important because we don't where we will be come the end of July.

If we end up in league 1, we may end signing him up for a further year, similar to what we did with David Prutton.

• Like 1

At the moment we don’t have 3 midfielders better than Kieran Lee.

If we are sure we are going to sign somebody better than let him go but personally I would give him another year.

As for his injury situation, only him and the club know.

I watched the highlights of the Leeds game last night to test my ifollow account. 
Which midfielder covered every blade of grass in a very tough game and still appeared in the final third 3 times in the last 10 minutes to help set up chances , Kieran Lee.

• Like 2
  • Love 1