Why James Beattie didn’t come with Garry Monk

Guest LondonOwl313
22 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

For the last six - eight weeks, I’ve not given it much thought. 
Form since Xmas - get rid, but I’d like to understand what the issue is - compared to the 2 months prior.
I don’t study the form enough to know who the replacement would be. I don’t agree on in being McCarthy, because I think that would be a holding role and within 12 months we’d be looking for a new coach.
Im sick of the club going round In circles. 
100% my view us we can’t move forward under this chairman. That is the problem.

Prior to Xmas we won 4 and drew 1 in late November/early December which catapulted us up to 3rd in a very tight table. We didn’t win in the 5 games prior to that. I think us being up in third at Xmas glosses over a lot of the first half of the season because we weren’t great then either, it felt like it wasn’t going to be sustained. And then we’ve seen what’s happened since then

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Prior to Xmas we won 4 and drew 1 in late November/early December which catapulted us up to 3rd in a very tight table. We didn’t win in the 5 games prior to that. I think us being up in third at Xmas glosses over a lot of the first half of the season because we weren’t great then either, it felt like it wasn’t going to be sustained. And then we’ve seen what’s happened since then

On the flip side you have fans saying we were third at Christmas so that proves that our players are good enough etc

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
46 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

In all honesty NO.

The reason I think so personally is that I believe Chansiri is now convinced of the need to clear the decks, clear out the trouble players, and start again, and I believe he wants Monk to do it.

So I think we would have had a really painful season, just about stopped up on points, and kept Monk despite fans screaming for his head.

I always find it hard to fathom how people can reference the ‘trouble players’ as if it’s them who have cost us games since Xmas. If we get Westwood, Hutchinson, FF, Winnall, Rhodes or whoever else is in this group of problem players off the wage bill, why would that have a material impact on results given those players either haven’t been playing at all or have had bit part roles. I understand the need to refresh and don’t care if any of them go, but unless we replace most of the mainstay players who have been playing most games also then nothing will

change. The likes of Dawson, Lees, Palmer, Fox, Harris, Nuhui, Murphy etc... yet I’d guess that most of our fans who reference the problem players would have no issue with these sorts of players being retained because they’re passionate about the club or they work hard or something  

Edited by LondonOwl313

6 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Agreed, we’re nowhere near great. Haven’t been for a while. There’s a lot of common denominators.

8 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I always find it hard to fathom how people can reference the ‘trouble players’ as if it’s them who have cost us games since Xmas. If we get Westwood, Hutchinson, FF, Winnall, Rhodes or whoever else is in this group of problem players off the wage bill, why would that have a material impact on results given those players either haven’t been playing at all or have had bit part roles.

Some might suggest that if you worked at B&Q and some of the staff played up and got suspended, that the other staff at B&Q would still be drinking with em after work, talking to them, texting them, calling them up, listening to them, being influenced by them etc

That's how real life works - football I'm sure its no different

Owlstalk Shop

55 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

For the last six - eight weeks, I’ve not given it much thought. 
Form since Xmas - get rid, but I’d like to understand what the issue is - compared to the 2 months prior.
I don’t study the form enough to know who the replacement would be. I don’t agree on in being McCarthy, because I think that would be a holding role and within 12 months we’d be looking for a new coach.
Im sick of the club going round In circles. 
100% my view us we can’t move forward under this chairman. That is the problem.

Don't know why you would regard McCarthy as a holding manager, he wasn't in his previous role and rarely has been.

Going round in circles is an issue but if we have got the wrong man then it just prolongs the process - as it did with Jos.

I have more of a problem with the man who the owner appears to take advice from on these issues, who our last manager described as an integral part of the club yet he has no defined official job title. 

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Some might suggest that if you worked at B&Q and some of the staff played up and got suspended, that the other staff at B&Q would still be drinking with em after work, talking to them, texting them, calling them up, listening to them, being influenced by them etc

So if some players connected to these trouble makers are still a bad influence or are still being negatively influenced why not drop them and give the players you signed in the January transfer window and/or some of the youngsters a run out?

It can't be for fear of results because we haven't been getting any.

Who do you suggest is still negatively influencing the squad attitude wise?

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Don't know why you would regard McCarthy as a holding manager, he wasn't in his previous role and rarely has been.

Going round in circles is an issue but if we have got the wrong man then it just prolongs the process - as it did with Jos.

I have more of a problem with the man who the owner appears to take advice from on these issues, who our last manager described as an integral part of the club yet he has no defined official job title. 

I regard him as a holding manager as he would more than likely steady the ship, no more no less. 

But as the perceived notion is that we have to be competitive at the top end of the table then I found t he’d get the time needed. 

As an individual I hold him in the highest regard. He stood up to Roy Keane, stood up for what he believed was right. He’s always come across as an honest man. I like him.

Guest LondonOwl313
24 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think being a footballer is very different to working at B&Q personally.. you have to be a self starter. What’s to stop them still talking to each other after they’ve left the club? Will that still impact on their performances? Weak characters if so. If you’re going to be distracted by a team mate then you aren’t going to get very far. 

19 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I think being a footballer is very different to working at B&Q personally.. you have to be a self starter. What’s to stop them still talking to each other after they’ve left the club? Will that still impact on their performances? Weak characters if so. If you’re going to be distracted by a team mate then you aren’t going to get very far. 

I think you're bending real life to suit your post there mate.

In real life it doesn't work like that.

Owlstalk Shop

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Large.jpg

Bullen, who was speaking to Pars TV in a lengthy interview about his time at Scottish club Dunfermline, said: "Garry Monk came in on his own when nine times out of ten a new manager will come in at least with his assistant.

"At the time Garry had just left Birmingham. His assistant (Pep Clotet) had taken over at Birmingham.

"His normal number three, right-hand man, is a lad called James Beattie who played in the Premier League.

"But James had been put on gardening leave and still had two years left of his contract.

"Wednesday weren't willing to pay compensation and Birmingham weren't willing to release the lad so he's been twiddling his thumbs.

"He's still getting paid by Birmingham, which is mad.

"An opportunity could have come up to let the lad go, Birmingham would have saved money and the lad could have been involved.

"But at the moment it's Garry, myself, Neil Thompson and Nicky Weaver.

"We've got a good group of lads that work together, but I wouldn't be surprised if at some point James Beattie joined the group."

Dom Howson's Article Here 👉https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/james-beattie-sheffield-wednesday-arrival-18264958?

Wednesday weren't willing to pay compo?

So, we're making do with a makeshift staff because Deph went cheap.

Great look.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

1) He's an ex player. If he wasn't nobody on here would be talking about him/putting him forward
2) It's such a Danny Wilson style proposition it's scary anyone would even consider Lowe as an option

The words nail on head spring to mind.

4 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

For a start no experienced manager will take it on due to the problems you've highlighted. We've currently got a manager with championship experience and that's working out well, isn't it? 

United took a chance on Wilder. Why shouldn't we take one with Lowe. He's arguably had a better start to his managerial career than the best manager in the universe? But let's stick with the useless to$$er we currently have in charge?

The situation at United was completely different when Wilder took over to the one Lowe would be inheriting at Hillsborough.

United weren’t struggling with FFP.

They weren’t on the brink of a possible points deduction.

They weren’t stumbling from embargo to embargo.

They didn’t have a dressing room full of players on tens of thousands a week who weren’t performing.

They didn’t have the likes of Paxio (or whatever his name is) interfering with transfers.

They didn’t have half their squad out of contract the following Summer, requiring what could be a complete rebuild.

Ryan Lowe may well go on to be a successful manager but if he were to take on the Wednesday job right now, I’ve no doubt you’d be calling for his head by Christmas too and we then go back to square one.

Guest The Horse

The Blunts were about one season away from being wound up.

Toxic fan base.

Abuse hurled at players at the end of season lap of 'honour'.

They lucked out like Charlie Bucket when they unwrapped Wilder.

But back to Monk, he's been at one basket case club after another but this is not his fault.

The players have one hundred percent taken the pisss out of all of us who've paid to watch us this season.

And Bullen is part of the problem.

Heard his interviews?

'Ohhh, they're a different breed these days.. need to be catered to' or words to that effect.

You could see it in his eyes when he was caretaker. 'Erm... Guys... Are you gonna play for me today.. please??'

*Dressing room laughs..

This squad are cowardly shysters who've taken the absolute pisss out of the management and the fans.

Until the bulk of them go, Monk deserves a shot.

I think he can get a squad together we can be proud of.

He don't like no shirkers.

The point about an ex-player managing is pretty meaningless. Some ex-players will turn out to be managerial geniuses (Wilkinson), some might take us to 3rd in the league and an FA Cup final (Francis), some would do a solid job (Megson), others would turn out to be yes-men (Wilson), or completely out of their depth (Eustace). For others the jury is still out (Monk).

None of this would help predict how Ryan Lowe (or any of the other ex-players currently in the League for that matter - Coughlan, Robins, Barry-Murphy, Dean Smith) might do in the future.

16 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

If he seriously thinks our coaching set-up is good then that says it all about how sh!t we are and if this doesn’t change, we’re going nowhere but down? I know I keep banging this drum but the problem is as much the coaching as the players IMO?

Neil T is a bloody good coach

7 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

The situation at United was completely different when Wilder took over to the one Lowe would be inheriting at Hillsborough.

United weren’t struggling with FFP.

They weren’t on the brink of a possible points deduction.

They weren’t stumbling from embargo to embargo.

They didn’t have a dressing room full of players on tens of thousands a week who weren’t performing.

They didn’t have the likes of Paxio (or whatever his name is) interfering with transfers.

They didn’t have half their squad out of contract the following Summer, requiring what could be a complete rebuild.

Ryan Lowe may well go on to be a successful manager but if he were to take on the Wednesday job right now, I’ve no doubt you’d be calling for his head by Christmas too and we then go back to square one.

I hope we can get Lowe in 12-18 months time when this has blown over and we have the majority of our old 2015 squad out the door

11 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I regard him as a holding manager as he would more than likely steady the ship, no more no less. 

But as the perceived notion is that we have to be competitive at the top end of the table then I found t he’d get the time needed. 

As an individual I hold him in the highest regard. He stood up to Roy Keane, stood up for what he believed was right. He’s always come across as an honest man. I like him.

I think monk is a holding manager, brought in when it was clear that bullen wasn't up to the job.... available, experienced, cheapish, ex player etc. So ticked some boxes for the fans

Unfortunately in the place of a thought out strategy to move us forward, the apparently absent owner, January window and beattie not joining only goes to support the theory

Got a feeling that our signings this summer we be a number of one year contracts without an eye on the future